Plastic Bag Hooked Rug

We get plastic bags from all of our stores when we shop so I decided to put them to use. I found my hook rug canvas and cut my bags in 4 inch by 1 inch strips to make a plastic bag rug. They are soft and good for by the door and when they get dirty, just hose them off. Your only cost is the hook rug canvas. You can make them any size you want.

By Barb from Rothbury, MI

Barb,

I love your recycled rug! What a wonderful use for those plastic bags that we all end up with. Thanks for sharing your creation.

Cindy

www.myrecycledbags.com

A website dedicated to recycling & crafting!

Barb Are you talking of latch hooking when you say you use the strips. Not sure of the method of making the rug but sure is neat!!

great tip I wish I had known bout it before.

Zig

That's really cool, I'd like to learn how to do those! I used to work at a store that had those plastic bags and a customer came in once with a very unique purse - upon inspecting it a little closer, it was made out of those plastic bags! Those bags sure come in handy if you know what to do with them. I love the crafts people make out of them - very cute!!

wowwwwwwwwwwww

that is really awsome !

my granny taught me to crochet them -- but YOURS is really cool !

THANKS !

i saw this on another reply to this post so i wanted to make it clickable

http://www.myrecycledbags.com

Wow!! This is gorgeous! Thanks for sharing. I'm going to give it a try.

Hannah

What a beautiful and practical rug. I'm so glad you showed us this. I have tried single-crocheting rugs from plastic bags that I've cut into one-inch strips but it seemed to take forever. I really like your idea.

Ok, love the idea and can't wait to try it, but not to sound too inexperienced, what is a hook rug canvas?!?

Hi...For those not knowing what hook rug canvas is ,well it is the canvas you usually use do make latch hook rugs with yarn...I just use plastic bags instead...you can buy it at craft stores by the yard....or watch yard sales or the thrift stores..Hope this helped.....Barb

Barb,

Just love your hook rug! I have seen them crocheted, but I don't know how. Now, I can make one as I know how to latch hook. Thanks for sharing.

Trish in CT

Hi

What a great rug! I haven't made one out of plastic bags - yet - but have made 2 hooked rugs out of fabrics I got from jumble and car boot sales. They are hardwearing and only need a shake to bring them up nicely. Happy hooking!

It looks really nice but for some of us that have never hooked a rug, how do you do it? Do I have to get a book or can you give me a hint.

This looks great, but like Dee I have no idea how to do this. Could you give us basic instructions please. I have so many bags and because I live where we have 3 separate ways of doing our trash, I can't use them very often. So this would be a great alternative. Blessings!

Hi...I started doing the hook rugs by buying a small kit or ask at one of your craft stores..you have to have a special hook for the project..it is called a hook rug hook or latch hook.. The basic thing to do is put your hook through one post of the canvas and wrap your strip around the hook and pull it through..the hook has a clasp on it...It is hard to explain unless you have the hook and canvas...I just use the canvas and instead of using a cut piece of yarn I use a strip 1 inch by 4 inches of the plastic bag...I fold my bags and cut longs strips then cut the long strips into small ones.....when working on it I try to put different colors of strips in..makes for a pretty affect. I hope this helps because I don't know any other way to explain it....Usually if you buy a kit it has all the instructions and a hook...Good Luck....Barb

Hooked Rug Using Plastic Bags
Making a Hooked Rug Using Plastic Bags
Crafts Recycled Crafts DecorMarch 20, 2007
Plastic Bag Rug
Making a Rug from Plastic Bags
ornamental rug
Removing Rug Dye from Carpet
Jeans purse. Making a bootie bag from jeans.
Making a Bootie Bag from Jeans
Rug Hooking Craft
Making Rug Hooking Crafts
🎄