Making Rug Hooking Crafts

Category Rugs
Prior to latch hook rug crafts, hooked rugs were made using fabric, such as burlap or linen, as the base for your project. This is a guide about making rug hooking crafts.

The hockey picture is a rug hooked wall hanging, I made for one of my grandson's. It is the 5th piece I did. You can use various backings, wool was cut into #3 cut, you start by putting the hook through the backing and one hand under hoop or frame, holding the color you want to start with.

The bird is a picture of the second piece of rug hooking, I ever did. Rug hooking is not as hard as one would think. You use a piece of burlap or other backings, get some wool and a hook. You can trace pattern on yourself or buy patterns already done. I do all my own pictures and transfer them onto my backing.

There is lots to learn but it is a very rewarding hobby. Lots of groups and lovely people to help you learn.

You pull up one piece, which is the end, the next one is a loop, loop, till you pull the last of the strip up. You continue on with the colors you are using in your pattern, cutting the single end pieces even with the loops. Rug hooking is a wonderful craft and has not died out since the old people used rags and nylons, etc. to make mats for the floor. Some people even do 9 x12 foot rugs for a floor, using one that is not a high traffic area.

Thank you,
By Shirley from Nova Scotia

Comment Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

I am looking to purchase blank pieces of rug canvas so as to design my own rug/carpet. I live in Johannesburg/Alberton. Where can I purchase this from?

By Bonnie W