Making a Kitchen Towel Holder

One way to keep that kitchen towel draped over the oven door handle from slipping onto the floor is to make a quick and easy towel holder. This is a guide about making a kitchen towel holder.

September 13, 2011 Flag

I made a towel holder for the kitchen. I had a yogurt lid that was begging for a project and instead of giving it to the kids, I took it.

I cut a hole in the middle of the lid, large enough for a towel to go through. I then covered it with duct tape all the way around. It would have been easier if I had had the whole width of duct tape to use, but I only had a lot of small strips, as duct tape sometimes does not come off the roll evenly.

After I was through with that, I taped a key ring onto the lid. Running the same strip of tape over and through the key ring and the towel ring.

Then I took a twisty tie and secured the key ring part to the nail in my kitchen. I had some lace, from an old fabric curtain piece, and I used it to tie a bow and also to attach it to the nail. It turned out really cute.

I love seeing it, and the towels being not on the floor! The only thing I like more is to see my kids doing crafts, which I always love to take pictures of. However, I am thinking of ways to tweak the design, to make it look more crafty. I love crafts! Here is a picture.

Blessings and have a happy Fall!

By Robyn F. from Tri-Cities, TN

I love your idea! so frugal. And the best part is that when folks come to your house they'll know they have been some place special. I'm sure it's filled with clever things like this.

I love your idea, and am looking forward to trying it myself for a Halloween swap with two other crafty friends. We are suppose to make something using a recycled item, so this just fits the bill.

I think after I cover the lid with the duct tape, I might cover the duct tape with some pretty fall coloured felt, sewn on by hand using a blanket stitch. I can use the cut lid as a pattern for the felt. Then I'll embellish it with some pretty lace like you did, and some fall buttons, and leaves. Thank you so much for sharing your fun and crafty recycling idea, you must have a home full of awesome and fun handcrafted items. :)

Thank you, to both of you, for your sweet comments. I am homeschooling now and we will be doing lots of projects that are tied into how the settlers in 1600 lived and ate, etc. I will probably post a few on here.

Blessings to you both for your comments, Robyn

What a clever idea! I think I'll make one and crochet around the ring instead of wrapping it with tape. The possibilities are endless!

August 28, 2011 Flag

I had a towel on the oven rack that kept slipping out. Putting it back in was a pain, as the slot between the handle and the door wasn't very wide.

A kitchen towel with a ribbon to keep it on the oven door.

April 5, 2010 Flag

Using a leftover shirt sleeve, I made this towel holder for my stove. Cut the sleeve in a rounded pattern at the shoulder end. Turn wrong side out and sew around that cut edge.

Finished towel holder.

June 26, 2008 Flag

I recently got tired of opening my cabinet doors under the sink to have my hand towel fall off. I came up with a great idea. I went to Walmart and got 2 over the door coat hooks. I slipped them on the "junk drawer" (you can also use a cabinet door)and put a leftover leg support from those plastic shelf units you put together.

Kitchen Towel Rack

November 19, 2004 Flag

I needed a towel holder in my kitchen but cash was short. So I got to looking around my house for unused things that I could make one with. I found an oak toilet tissue holder that we had never used.

Crafts Home Decor KitchenApril 17, 2013
A beach towel wedding cake.
Making a Towel Wedding Cake
Oven Door Towel
Making an Oven Door Towel
Wood Knife Holder
Making a Kitchen Knife Holder
Hanging Kitchen Towel
Making a Tied Hanging Kitchen Towel