Making a Purse from a Bra

Perky Bra Purses
An unusual purse can be fashioned from a brassiere. This guide is about making a purse from a bra.

This is an old underwire bra. I got the idea from another site and made my own.

By Julie Tassin from Colbert, GA

Claire Bush0 found this helpful

Most of us have a not-quite-right bra or two loitering in our lingerie drawer. Now you can turn that scrap of fabric and lace into a fun purse that's sure to be an attention-getter!

Materials

Instructions

Fold cups into each other. Trim away sides and back of bra, leaving straps attached to cups. Glue or carefully sew cups together. Choose a theme or color palette. For the black bra in the picture, I used white, black and red sequin appliqués and hearts, then finished the look by looping a red tassel. The blue bra's color theme was inspired by the cheerful "Acapulco" patch I glued inside. The multi-colored bra was finished with pink and green trim and rhinestones to match. Trim straps to equal length and glue together to form a loop, then embellish around the glued parts to hide any seams. You can also remove straps and use ribbon, jewelry chain, a narrow belt or even an old tie as a strap.

When you are satisfied with your new purse, carefully place a piece of Velcro on both sides of the inside top of the cups.

Voila! Instant party tote or special gift.

BraPurses687x300.gif

After a bra purse is made, how does it close? Do you get the snap things like a coin purse closes, or do you sew a zipper onto it? Maybe leave it open?

By Kelly82 from TX

Answers

I used velcro.

Thanks so much! I am going to make one tomorrow when my daughter takes a nap! :) I am so excited to try making these! I haven't seen anything like this in my area, such a cute idea! Thanks for replying.

VELCRO WOULD CLOSE IT NICELY

I use the back strap

Does anyone have easy instructions on making purses from bras?

nannie_mawmaw from TN

Answers:

Bra Purse Instructions

I really can't contain myself on this one. We're no longer going to burn our bras but make purses out of them! :o) (01/03/2008)

By MCW

Bra Purse Instructions

I thought that sounded funny when I saw the title for one on sale on ebay but it was quite cute. Not something for the older age lady but cute still the same. Try ebay for e-patterns for sale. I get a lot of patterns that way. Sellers sell you the pattern that you receive via email download. I think I saw one for those a while back. (01/03/2008)

By theseamstress

Bra Purse Instructions

I know it sounds funny, but these are sold to raise breast cancer awareness and to raise money for breast cancer research (by the way, small bras are used to make change purses). Sometimes you can find really nice bras in dollar stores. I found a gorgeous lace bra in the most beautiful deep wine color you ever saw! I think I'll make it into an evening bag. (01/03/2008)

By perfume and powder

Bra Purse Instructions

Craftbits also has some great instructions. (01/05/2008)

By Princesshammerhead