Making a Puzzle Board

Category Woodworking
A puzzle board with a raised edge provides the prefect surface to work on you puzzle and the edges help to prevent loss of pieces. This is a guide about making a puzzle board.

With our busy schedule it can take a long time for us to complete a puzzle. The cats are constantly knocking pieces on the floor or stuff is being set on the puzzle. So to solve this problem, my husband made me a wonderful puzzle board that can easily be placed on the lower shelf of our coffee table. :)

• 1 pieces of 3/8" beech plywood, pre-sanded
  • 2 pieces of trim (8 ft. each)
  • miter saw
  • wood glue
  • nailer and nails
  • wood filler
  • fine grit sandpaper
  • nail punch, optional
  • hammer
  • tape measure
  • polyurethane
  • paint brush

1. Cut plywood to 40" x 24". NOTE: We purchased a 48" x 24" board and had it cut down at the hardware store.
  2. Cut end of the trim at a 45 degree angle. Then lay the trim along the edge of the board and mark it for length.
  3. Cut off the excess trim with a 45 degree angle. Adhere the trim to the board using wood glue.
  4. Then nail the trim in place.
  5. Ad
  6. Repeat steps 2-4 for the other three sides of the board. Be sure that the corners as snug when fitting them together.
  7. Using sandpaper, smooth out the corner joints.
  8. Ad
  9. Using a nail punch, set the nails into the wood. Then fill the holes and sand them smooth. Apply 2-3 coats of polyurethane to the entire board (following instructions on can).
  10. Add felt feet to the underside of the board, if desired. Now you can enjoy assembling your puzzle at your own pace, without fear of it being ruined!
  11. Ad

Thank-you for the great way to keep jigsaw puzzles safe between sessions, and for the great tute! I'm printing this for my husband - he's going to enjoy both crafting the board and being able to get back to his 2nd favourite winter pastime. (His 1st fav is fly-tying, he's an avid fisherman:)

Videos

With our busy schedule it can take a long time for us to complete a puzzle. The cats are constantly knocking pieces on the floor or stuff is being set on the puzzle. So to solve this problem, my husband made me a wonderful puzzle board that can easily be placed on the lower shelf of our coffee table. View the full project here: Wooden Puzzle Board

I just got a 2000 piece Starry Night puzzle for my birthday, now I need a board to put it together on. What do you suggest?

By Barbara Z from Park City, MT

Answer Was this helpful? 1

I purchased at Walmart/Target or any office supply store a cardboard that folds into 3 sections for 10.00. I use this to put all my puzzles together on. It allows me to fold over the whatever I don't use so I can put it on top of my entertainment unit. or I purchase the foam board for 1.00 at dollar store and use for puzzles.

Buy one on amazonmuch easier!

I think you are better off ordering from Amazon less hassle

I saw the instructions on the wooden board to keep a puzzle on. Can anyone tell me how much it weighs when completed? Thank you.

The weight of the finished puzzle board can vary considerably depending upon the types of wood used and the exact method of construction.