Making a Sugar Glider Bag

Category How To
A sugar glider on a wood branch.
Keep your little pet safe and warm in a cozy travel pouch. This is a guide about making a sugar glider bag.

Does anyone know how to make a sugar glider bag?

Jimmie from Linwood, NC

Need more info

But.... I used to own sugar gliders and if your looking for a snuggly type home for the little stinkers, here's what I did. It worked well as it was disposable when it became too fragrant.

I used a heavy mens sock, cut to a certain length, (would depend on how many gliders to a nest, as one sock was good for only two gliders). Take a "Ball" jar ring to make the top stay open. Just fold it into the opening and secure with a basic sewing stitch. You should have something that looks like a basketball hoop.

Secure it to the cage with good heavy wire wrapped around the ring part. This worked great, cuz I could still out them from the nest when it was time to handle them, and again, just remove the ring and start over when it is time too replace it. I suppose a stocking hat and embroidering hoop might work too, and would be bigger, and easier for the gliders to enter.

I just made 5 of them for about $3.50 each. I need to be able to always have fresh ones because I don't want to put the little things in a soiled bag. My only problem was finding the mesh type fabric. I ended up going to a dollar store and buying cheap cosmetic pouches and cannibalizing the mesh on the inside of them. I made mine based on the one I bought. Do you have one now? I can try to write up my directions for you and get back to you.

One of mine seems to be the devil's own spawn and I am having a terrible time breaking him of biting. The female I have is a total angel. Did you just get them? I'd love to hear back from you!

If you are talking about to put in the cage for them to sleep in, I use a pot holder, the kind that you slip your hand in. I tie it with a wire to the top of the cage and when I take them out of the cage I just take the bag and all. I replace it with a clean one weekly and wash the dirty one. They love it! As far as a bonding bag, I use small cloth purses that I get at thrift stores. I make sure they have a long enough strap that I can wear it over my shoulder and of course zipper closure. I lucked up on some that I found that were to wear under your clothes.

Good luck!

What in Heaven's name is a sugar glider and what do you have them for? (sounds like some sort of critter, very interesting). Learn something new every day!

<b>Editor's Note:</b> Wikipedia says "A sugar glider is a small marsupial originally native to eastern and northern mainland Australia, New Guinea, and the Bismarck Archipelago, and introduced to Tasmania. Introduced into the United States approximately 20 years ago as domesticated housepets, "