Making a Trivet

There are many fun and different ways to make these table protectors. This guide is about making a trivet.

July 24, 2012 Flag

Approximate Time: 1 Hour

• 20 gauge wire
  • 28 large wooden beads
  • 21 medium wooden beads

Instructions:

My trivet measured 4 inches X 4-1/2 inches. You can buy the large assorted packs of beads for approximately $10, and there will be enough to make a trivet.

1. Lay out the beads into a pattern that you like and then measure the wire accordingly. You will be going back through the rows, so you will need a lot of wire. (I used approximately 80 inches of wire.)
  2. Find center, then thread the first and second rows of the trivet onto your wire, then you will go back through the second row and continue doing this with your rows until you have finished your trivet.
  3. At the end you will need to go back through your previous row (or two) to hide the ends of your wire.

By CDC from FL

These beads look identical to the beaded car seat cushions. If you have one or find an old one it would make an inexpensive source of these wooden beads and keep a damaged seat cover out of the trash. Usually it is the line that the beads are strung on that gets damaged and the beads are fine for other uses.

They do look like those beaded seat covers, speakeasy and that is a good idea.

(Oops. I was at the store the other day and noticed that the pack of bead I had bought previously were $4, not $10.)

October 7, 2016 Flag

This is a guide about making a folded paper trivet. This recycled craft is fun and easy enough to have children help make some to give as gifts.

Folded Paper Trivet

October 7, 2016 Flag

This is a guide about making a chopstick trivet. When you have a collection of disposable chopsticks, you can reuse them to create an attractive trivet to protect your furniture.

Making a Chopstick Trivet

October 7, 2016 Flag

This is a guide about making a tongue depressor trivet. Get out your crafting drill and a supply of tongue depressors and make a decorative and useful trivet.

Making a Tongue Depressor Trivet

March 6, 2012 Flag

Mix kids and mud and you have a kid having fun. With just a little structure they can make a trivet for a gift in no time.

Approximate Time: 3 hours

Instructions:

Note: If you choose shank buttons make sure they are no taller than the top of the craft sticks or cut the shank off with nippers.

1. Glue two of your sticks to opposite sides on the top of your block; before they dry measure and trim two more sticks to fit inside the opposite two sides and glue them in place as in the photo.
  2. Repeat putting the two full sticks on the side with the two trimmed sticks this time.
  3. Glue the four wood plugs in four corners on the bottom side. Let the glue dry then paint all, but the inside of the top, as shown in the first photo.
  4. When the paint is dry mix up your mud or use grout or plaster of Paris. If you use flour and water, mix it until it is just past being sticky. You want it thick, but not sticky.
  5. It helped me to trace the block on paper then I laid out my buttons in a pattern that I liked before I started so I had an idea where to place the main buttons. Then I started with the larger ones and the word buttons followed by the smaller ones to fill in where I needed. Make sure everything is level with the top of the top row of the sticks. After all the buttons were placed I filled in with seed beads pushing them into the wet cement.

By Ann Winberg from Loup City, NE

I saw this on the site Annie, and loved it. Glad you posted it. It's adorable. PBP

July 18, 2016 Flag

This is a guide about making a wine cork trivet. Wine corks are often used in making handcrafted trivets.

Trivet (hot pad) made from wine corks inside metal hoop

September 10, 2009 Flag

Trivet made with recycled sealer rings and yarn.

Approximate Time: 2 hours

Instructions:

1. Thread needle with yarn and wind it around six of the sealer rings, completely covering each ring.
  2. Tuck ends back through yarn and cut.
  3. Arrange wrong side down.
  4. For seventh ring, wind yarn as above, but don't completely cover ring. Cut it and weave it through the other rings as shown, then staple ends and finish winding centre ring with yarn. Tuck in ends.

By Alma from Winnipeg MB

Very clever!

March 21, 2015 Flag

What do you put on the corks so when you put a hot dish on there it doesn't melt the corks?

By Joan D

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Nothing, the corks are not damaged by the heat from pots, etc. This is why cork trivets are popular.

January 21, 2016 Flag

This is a guide about making a greeting card trivet. Old greeting cards can be used in many crafts. Use a favorite one to make a unique trivet.

Finished tile trivet project (square format).

September 1, 2009 Flag

Go to Home Depot or Lowe's ceramic tile department. Choose a tile that is one color, but has a design in it. Take 6 corks, cut them in half as evenly as possible. Glue them to the underside of the tile.

Turn over and paint the tile, following the design, using ceramic tile paint, available at Michael's. Let dry and you have a trivet for the table. Fun for all ages!

By Marthann from Natick, MA

This sounds perfect, for use of all the left over tiles from projects in the house. Would also be nice to see several pictures of finished craft.

March 13, 2007 Flag

I am looking for ideas for a trivet. We are having a summer camp and want to use stamps. I was thinking of something like a tile.

Kerry from Winnebago, MN

You could use felt. cut 2 of the same shape, glue together with Elmer's glue, and decorate with stamped on designs. Both sides could be the same color, or 2 different ones.These could be cut out with craft scissors that make fancy edges, and fabric markers/sharpies,fabric paint could be used to decorate them.

These could also be sewn together with batting between the layers, then decorated.

You could use felt to make a hot pad/trivet.

Cut 2 pieces and glue together. You could use the same color, or 2 different ones, and cut them out with the craft scissors which make fancy edges. These could be decorated using stamps, fabric paint, markers, sharpies. They also could be sewn together. Felt is frequently available in the sale fabric section of JoAnn's Fabrics, and Elmer"s glue will hold felt together. Could be done fairly inexpensively.

June 26, 2010 Flag

My son is getting married soon and I wanted to decorate a tile to use as a hot plate and also some for coasters. What would you suggest for decorating both and sealing them so the paint/decoration is not damaged? Can you put stickers as a decoration on them then put something on top to seal and bake them? Any suggestions are welcome. Thank you.

By Lil from FL

I believe they make paint markers that would work. Try asking a near by crafts type store or search the web online on Michael's Crafts Store. I think your answer will be determined by whether or not the tile you have is already sealed.

Hello Lil, I did a tile trivet using a black 'n white picture printed on regular paper, from my personal photos. I tore the picture a bit larger than the tile. I carefully burned the edges for effect. Then using Hodge Podge I painted some on back of the pic. Using a boning tool, I smoothed out air bubbles. When dried, I put a coat of Hodge Podge on the top of the pic. You may want to use something more durable if using a lot. I then used a dry paper towel wadded up and blotted the wet surface. This gave it a cloth like texture. You can use cork board for back to prevent marring surfaces. I used a 4 x 6 white tile. Hope this is of help to you. Peace<3

June 26, 2010 Flag

I would like instructions on making a ceramic tile hot pad or trivet. I made one in junior high school, but don't remember the exact instructions.

The one I want to make is with four 4 inch or 6 inch ceramic tiles on a board. It is put on your table to put hot dishes on. I don't know how to attach the tiles to the board with grout or glue? Can anyone help me?

By NanaMay from Mulhall, OK

Answers:

Making a Ceramic Tile Trivet

You could just attach a thin sheet of cork cut to fit on the underside with glue or glue the sort of thick round felt or round cork pieces that are often used to keep the bottom of an item from causing scratches to table surfaces on the underside of all four corners.

In either case just make sure to wipe clean instead of immersing in water. (02/15/2010)

By Deeli

October 12, 2009 Flag

Trivet From Wine Corks
Trivet From Wine Corks
What to do with all those old wine corks? I made mine into a trivet. It's perfect to put hot pots or plates on. It is simple and inexpensive. All you need besides the corks, is a wire clamp (2$ at home depot). Put your corks in the middle and then just use a screw driver to tighten the wire clamp and voila - done!

By Julianna from Princeton, NJ

Crafts MiscellaneousSeptember 26, 2012
Making a Greeting Card Trivet
Cardboard Christmas tree photo from an earlier Thriftyfun project.
Making a Cardboard Christmas Tree
Sloppy joes for a large group.
Making Sloppy Joes for a Large Group
Vietnamese Iced Coffee, Saigon Style
Making Vietnamese Coffee (Cafe Sua Da)
🎉
🎄