Making a Chopstick Trivet

Category Decor
Making a Chopstick Trivet
This is a guide about making a chopstick trivet. When you have a collection of disposable chopsticks, you can reuse them to create an attractive trivet to protect your furniture.

I have a rather large collection of disposable wooden chopsticks from decades of restaurants and takeouts. After I use them, I wash them and keep them either in my utensil drawer for reuse or in a canister for future crafts. This trivet is one of my favourite chopstick crafts. You don't even need craft glue to make it. Painting it is optional. It's beautiful in the bare bamboo colour, as well.

Total Time: 20 minutes to tie, 8 hours to dry

Yield: 1 trivet

• 30 disposable chopsticks
  • heavy duty thread like florist thread or unwaxed dental floss
  • scissors
  • spray paint and lacquer (optional)

1. Start by laying the chopsticks in the order you want them. I like to stagger the light and dark ones if I don't paint them. I also flip them over so the bulky ended sides are next to the thinner tips, staggered.
  2. Cut two lengths of thread. Each piece should be about 2.5 to 3 times longer than the chopsticks when laid out. You will be tying the chopsticks together by double knots and you don't want to come up short. You can always clip off the ends if they're too long.
  3. Take the very middle of one of the pieces of thread and tie your first chopstick about an inch inwards from one end of the chopstick. Tie it one more time for a double knot.
  4. Now bring one thread under the next chopstick and tie a double knot. Continue on with the rest, making sure each knot is done twice per chopstick.
  5. As you go along, make sure you pull the knot tight so the knot lands between each chopstick and not sitting on top of the chopstick. This keeps it more uniform and pretty.
  6. When you're done with one side, give it a triple knot at the end and clip off any excess thread. Now start on the other side, one inch in from the other end of the chopstick. Do the same all the way to the end.
  7. Knot the second end. You can leave it bare, as is, or continue with a quick spray paint. By the way, these trivets are awesome because you can roll them up tight to keep them in drawers when not in use!
  8. If you want to give it a quick paint, just take it outside on a piece of newspaper and give it a good coat of spray paint and lacquer. Alternatively, slather on with a brush. Let dry several hours or overnight.
  9. Your trivet is ready for use!

This is a great way to reuse chopsticks, love it!!

This looks really great, I will have to start saving my chopsticks.

Definitely do. Even the ones that are rather soy sauce stained, after a good cleaning, they stay dark-- but I am finding them rather charming!