Making a Wine Cork Trivet/Coaster

Wine corks are perfect for keeping heat off furniture surfaces. This page contains questions, tips, and projects for making a wine cork trivet or coaster.

This is fun, quick, and with supervision, a great kids' craft.

Total Time: 15-20 minutes

Yield: 1

• 32 wine corks
  • 1-2 sticks hot glue
  • scissors
  • 1 7 inch piece of mini calendar cardboard insert or cork sheet

1. With the cardboard set, measure the corks to make sure your cardboard is the right size. Turns out it's perfect for the project. If you don't have a mini calendar, just use a piece of box cut up or cork if you have it.
  2. I mixed the directions for a cooler look, but you can have them all one directions if you want. The cool thing is that each cork is the exact length to it's width. So two one way is the same as two the other.
  3. Advertisement

4. Once you know they will all fit, glue them on in any direction.
  5. Glue a hanger on the middle of one side or the corner. I used lace. You can use ribbon, a bread tag, wire, etc. You are ready to use and then hang where you can get to it fast!! N-JOY!!

Day two of the craft days, I made a coaster for larger cups/soup mugs using just three things.

Total Time: 45 minutes

Yield: 1

• 19 wine corks
  • 4 inch medium embroidery hoop
  • hot glue gun and sticks

1. I had to take the inner ring out of the hoop to best fit them in. After taking it out, I found I could get more corks inside and got 19 to fit snugly. I found that loosening the tightener and shifting them around helped to get as many in as possible. I moved the hoop into position and then I tightened it as good as I could without marring the corks.
  2. I fired up the glue gun and made sure each cork was joined to the next ones and those around it. Not only does this keep each one in place, but it gives a nice "non-skid" surface in case you use it on a slick surface. Notice in the final photo that the hoop is raised up so that the top is at about the halfway mark up the height of the corks.

You can make a nice trivet or two from wine corks. You can also make coasters out of them.

Go to Home Depot or Lowe's ceramic tile department. Choose a tile that is one color, but has a design in it.

Take 6 corks, cut them in half as evenly as possible. Glue them to the underside of the tile.

I am looking to purchase wooden trivets to fill with my corks. Does anyone know where to get them?

Sharon from Malvern, PA

Answers

Best Answer

Try using embroidery hoops. They come in several sizes, so that gives you a lot of choice. Some are even small enough to use for coasters. I'm guessing you intend to cut the cork down and then glue them into 'frame' to make hot pads. A bonus is that you can usually get embroidery hoops at second hand stores for 50 cents or less AND you can paint them cheaply for variation. Good luck. Dianne

By KJ (Guest Post)
Best Answer

You can find unfinished trays in various sizes at the craft store. They go on sale regularly, so watch the ads.

You can decorate or paint the tray in whatever finish you want, then glue the corks down in the center.

What do you put on the corks so when you put a hot dish on there it doesn't melt the corks?

By Joan D

Answers

Best Answer

Nothing, the corks are not damaged by the heat from pots, etc. This is why cork trivets are popular.

Do wine corks need to be boiled to remove the smell before using them? I am hoping to make a couple of trivets. Thanks.

By Anna from Honor, MI

Answers

Best Answer

I have made a wreath and a Christmas tree from wine corks, and all I did to prepare them was to wash/soak them in hot water and dish detergent, then rinse well, and let air dry for a couple of days. You do have to weight them down to keep them under water to soak them. I used a bowl and a plate as the weight. This did not remove wine stains, but they add character to me.

Trivet From Wine Corks
What to do with all those old wine corks? I made mine into a trivet. It's perfect to put hot pots or plates on. It is simple and inexpensive. All you need besides the corks, is a wire clamp (2$ at home depot). Put your corks in the middle and then just use a screw driver to tighten the wire clamp and voila - done!

By Julianna from Princeton, NJ

Comment Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes
In These Pages
Crafts Recycled CraftsJuly 18, 2016
🎃