Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Making an Ice Pack With Rice

This easy to make ice pack comes in handy for bumps and other injuries. This is a guide about making an ice pack with rice.

January 27, 2015 Flag

This is a simple and quick project. We keep ours in the freezer and they are always ready for the large amount of boo-boos in our house. They always seem to make the kids feel better. You can use scraps of material, since you don't need too much. For this pack, I used an old t-shirt. You can make them any size you would like.

Total Time: About 15 minutes.

Yield: 1

• fabric
  • rice
  • sewing machine (unless you want to sew it all by hand)
  • funnel

1. Cut 2 pieces of fabric the same size. I just fold over the fabric, so that there are 2 pieces on top of each other. This one was 10 1/2 inches by 8 inches. They can be as big or small as you want.
  2. Make sure that the side of the fabric you want to see is facing the inside. You are going to sew around the fabric, then turn it inside out. Sew only 3 sides.
  3. Ad
  4. Turn inside out. Make sure you push against the inside of the corners with your finger so that it's not bunched up.
  5. Related Content(article continues below)
  6. Measure where you would like to sew the dividers. The rice stays better evenly distributed this way. I just made 2 dividers, for a total of 3 sections. Try to make it as even as you can, but it doesn't need to be perfect.
  7. Sew straight lines for the dividers. Leave about a centimeter not sewn at the ends, where you will close it up. This is so that you can fold it in and hand sew it closed. My thread really matched this fabric well. If you look closely, you can see the 3 different sections.
  8. Take your funnel and fill each section with rice. My funnel is too small and the rice bunches up in there. So, I cut the end off a soda bottle and use that as my funnel. Fill each section about 3/4 of the way.
  9. Fold over the ends, into the inside. Hand stitch the ends to seal the ice pack. Make the stitches close enough that rice won't leak out.
  10. Put in the freezer, so it will be ready when needed.
CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

These are really cool!

I'm sorry for accidentally hitting the thumbs down by accident. I love this project :)

I make these a lot . My grandkids love them to warm up and take to bed. I put crushed cloves and cinnamon sticks in my rice and fill them up. Most friends and family love to get them for gifts.I put some in freezer to you can use either way

Homemade Ice Packs
Crafts Bath & BeautyOctober 7, 2016
Scoop of brown rice. Freezing brown rice.
Freezing Brown Rice
Side of Spanish rice.
Making Spanish Rice in the Rice Cooker
A plate of cooked brown rice.
Cooking Brown Rice in a Rice Cooker
Removing Ice from Your Windshield, Gloved hand scraping icy windshield.
Removing Ice from Your Windshield
👒
🐰
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 18, 2017 at 7:17:10 PM on 10.0.2.105 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.