Mother's Day Party Ideas

Category Planning
Honor your mother on Mother's Day with a party. This is a guide about Mother's Day party ideas.

Eggs Benedict

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

Churches and other organizations often plan special Mother's Day activities. This is a guide about Mother's Day brunch ideas.

If we are planning a meal at 2 p.m. on Mother's Day, what do we call it? a brunch, luncheon, dinner?

By Carol K

Answer Was this helpful? 1

Call it whatever you want. From what I have always heard, brunch is in the late morning. It is a combination of breakfast and lunch. Where I live people don't worry about things like that. I would assume being it is for Mother's Day, it is for immediate family, so I wouldn't even send invitations, then you don't really have to call it anything. Just tell people what time you will be eating.

"late luncheon"?

Here in the South we call it Sunday Dinner.

Late dinner! Unless you are serving just sandwiches, chips, etc then it is a snack.

I think it depends on the menu. When we have family for a meal in the afternoon we serve a dinner menu, so we just call it an early dinner.

Here in Saskatchewan, we call the noon meal dinner or lunch, and the evening meal supper. So this two o'clock meal we would actually call a "late dinner" since it isn't at 12, and it is a main meal. Lunch is the noon meal we have at work, when we pack our own or when we go out for a soup and sandwich. ha ha. Call it what ever you like!

While in England, I was invited to a 2:00 "luncheon" with Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth and The Royal Family. So I would say it is a luncheon.

I'd call it lupper.

I think it depends on the type meal that is being served. If it is a sit down dinner, then it is "dinner". If it is less formal it is a late luncheon. Usually with family things aren't that formal.

I need Mother's Day Party ideas. I've been asked to come up with a list of "Mother Types" ie oldest mother, youngest mother. I really can't think of much beyond those, and am not having any luck searching. It is at my Church May 10th. Any help would make my day. Thanks in advance.

Gina from Maine

Hi! Do you only need mother types? I have several "give yourself a point" games if you need them. Otherwise, here are the mother types that I can come up with: oldest, youngest, most children, most nieces & nephews, longest member at the church, newest member at the church, married the longest, married the shortest, brought the most guest (if that is an option). Hope this helps!

How about most "Mother Earth" mom, Best Cupcake mom , or something like that. Theres always one mother that has a famous church picnic dish! Multi-mom ( mom of twins ect).Most grandkids, Mother in charge of the most church events,..which gives everyone a chance to thank them for the work they do. Hope this springs a few ideas for you. Good luck!

I've been to those type services where there is a rose, prize, etc. for the mother with the most kids, oldest mother, youngest mother, etc. And it's usually the same ones every year. Nothing for the rest of the mothers to look forward to at all. I think it'd be neat to give to give honor to some mother just because. Somebody totally random. Surprise someone who is totally not expecting anything! Mothers Day is to honor all mothers, and I always found it very disappointing that it was the same ones every year who were "honored."

How about trying something a bit different? For example; the woman with the blue dress, floral dress, pink shoes etc. Maybe the one with the youngest and oldest child there. Hand out differnt colored lollipops at random or marbles, something in different colors and then write down the color on the piece of paper beforehand. The one with holding that color wins. The Dollar Store has so many cheap items you should be able to find prizes for lots of people. Everyone loves to win. Or maybe even a mother/child contest of some sort. Or if you can get enough cheap flowers have the kids hand out a single flower to each woman. You might be able to find a farmers flower market or if you tell a florist what it is for they may give you a discount. Even silk flowers would work. Best of luck to you and Happy Mothers Day

my suggestions to add to the list - single mom of most, mom of youngest twins, mom most theme dressed (we are having luau theme)

more ideas... longest hair, shortest hair

Most kids, most grandkids, oldest kid, moms whom play a musical instrument, can knit, etc.

Thanks for the ideas, keep them coming, several I can use. Thanks.

Can't remember what has already been suggested, but... Mother of the youngest child, mother of the oldest, military mom, ministry mom, homeschool mom, brain building mom (we have one that likes to do those brain puzzles a lot), bi-vocational mom (for a mom that works a full time job as well as being mom), newest grand MOM (new grandma)... Thanks for the inspiration to get ideas for our church day as well!!! We are a small church so trying to come up with a recognition for every mom present this morning. Hope your service goes well also! Nancy

Thanks for the ideas. Our event went great, These are the "mother types" I came up with-

Mother who had a child born in a car-0 results

Mother that had baby at home- (1) baby is now 65years old

Mother with largest baby-(1) 9lbs. 14 oz.

Mother of twins-(0)

Mother with smallest baby- (1) 4lbs. 6 ozs.

Mother who was the oldest when she gave birth to her last child-(1) 36 years old

Mother with the most grandchildren-(1) 9 grandchildren

I also read a poem I got off the internet "Before I was a Mother" then I had all the mother's write their own lines to that statement. Had some pretty funny one and some sweet ones. All in all we had a good time, praising the Lord for allowing us to be Mother's. Thank you everyone for your input. I will certainly used this site again. Happy Mother's Day to you all!!!! Gina