Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Mother's Day Party Ideas

0 0EmailFollow
Pin It
Mother's Day Party Ideas

Honor your mother on Mother's Day with a party. This is a guide about Mother's Day party ideas.

Solutions: Mother's Day Party Ideas

Read and rate the best solutions below by giving them a "thumbs up".

Tip: Mother's Day Banquet Idea

A few years ago I helped get together a Mother's Day banquet themed: A Potpourri of Memories. As a party favor we did multicolored bags filled with potpourri, and put together a small book of poems and readings about mothers in all stages of life, the poems were: To Daughter, to Son, A Single Mother, HIS Mother, Mothers Prayer, Those little red sneakers, prayer for those who live alone, Love and pet me now (for older mothers). The guest speaker was an older Mother recalling memories of child raising.

I am very proud of this and would gladly copy and share these poems with anyone who would like to use it for their church banquet. Email me @ Shearerrv(at)aol.com and leave an address.

Recipe: May Day Luncheon

This would be a great way to celebrate the first flowers of spring. May Day is traditionally May 1st. Why not invite your friends to a May Day Luncheon. The foods could be as easy as finger sandwiches and lemon-aide but I am going to give you a recipe for a really easy and simple quiche and ideas for decorations that will make your May Day party an easy success. In these times we need to remember to celebrate the simple things and a small party could be just the thing to brighten everyone's mood.

First, let's talk about decorating your table. Back in the day, girls of all ages danced the maypole. So for our center piece we are going to make a Maypole centerpiece. Take an old terra cotta pot or small basket and fill it with stones. Take a piece of leftover PVC pipe and wrap it with silk ivy. You can get this at Walmart for about 2 dollars. You want an ivy garland. Just hot glue it in several places as you wrap. Place into basket. You may want to put a piece of Styrofoam in the bottom to stick this into depending on the size of the stones you are using. Cover all of this with a little Spanish moss. Tuck in some silk flowers at the bottom to decorate it. Take one small Styrofoam ball and cover in small flowers your choice but I love rose buds. Leave a small amount of the bottom uncovered as you will now take ribbons and evenly space them around the bottom and let them hang down. Attach the ribbons with pins or hot glue. Depending on the tallness of these you will want your ribbons to be at least 2 inches longer so they can be stretched out and fanned out and taped to your table top with a little invisible tape.

Cover your table with a plastic pastel table cloth. You can decorate this with flower stickers if you want. Pull out your prettiest china but if you don't have any most party stores or Walmart do sell flowered paper plates. You also can usually find them at the dollar store. Buy some dessert size plates. Fold them about three quarters of the way up making sure that the colored side is on the outside and make a pocket. Hot glue or staple the edges. Now hot glue some of those leftover flowers to the front of each pocket and make a small bow to go over the stems. Now put your silverware and a napkin in each and set them out for each guest as a silverware holder.

Now on to the food. As I said before, the menu can be as simple or as elaborate as you would like. If making finger sandwiches, take a simple shaped flower cookie cutter and cut out your bread. You can even use wheat for one side and white or rye for the other. Now fill with your favorite sandwich filling like egg or tuna or ham. Serve with fresh fruit tray or Vegetable tray. You could also buy tomatoes, one for each guest, and core them out to make a small basket and fill with crab or pasta salad from your deli. If you want to really make some fancy food, here is my recipe for quiche.

Basic Quiche

Ingredients

• 1 lb. of Swiss cheese
  • 1 lb. of Monterey jack cheese
  • 8 large eggs
  • 4 cups of milk
  • 3/4 cup of flour
  • 1/4 tsp of pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon of nutmeg

Directions

Mix the eggs with the milk. Stir in the flour pepper and nutmeg. Pour into two 10 inch Deep dish pie shells. Bake at 400 degrees F for one hour or until a knife stuck in the center come out clean. This makes a plain cheese quiche. Now comes the fun part the add ins.

We have made this with shrimp, crabmeat, spinach, or ham. So add any of these ingredients or a combination to make a wonderful quiche.

• 1/2 cup chopped green onions
  • 1 10 oz package of spinach
  • 1 pound shrimp or seafood shreds
  • 2 cans of crabmeat
  • 1 lb package of ham lunch meat cut into shreds.
  • 1/2 pound mushrooms cut into chunks or slices
  • 1/2 cup of green bell peppers diced
  • 1 package or can of fresh or canned asparagus chopped
Serve this with dinner rolls or croissants. Fresh fruit cut up makes a nice a compliment. I also love Lemonade in the spring so here is a recipe for quick raspberry lemonade.

Raspberry Lemonade

Ingredients

• 1 can of frozen lemonade
  • 1/2 package of raspberry Kool-Aid
  • 1/4 cup of sugar

Directions

Mix well and serve over ice.

There are several flowers that are edible that you could float in your lemonade like pansies or violets. Just make sure that the flowers have been grown organically so that you know that no pesticides have been sprayed on them.

Happy May Day to one and all!

By Debra Frick

Give a "thumbs up" to the solution that worked the best! Do you have a better solution? Click here to share it!

Here are questions related to Mother's Day Party Ideas.

Question: Mother's Day Meal

If we are planning a meal at 2 p.m. on Mother's Day, what do we call it? a brunch, luncheon, dinner?

By Carol K

Most Recent Answer

By Judy Harris [28]04/14/2013

I think it depends on the type meal that is being served. If it is a sit down dinner, then it is "dinner". If it is less formal it is a late luncheon. Usually with family things aren't that formal.

Question: Mother's Day Luncheon Food and Decoration Ideas

Our DAR group would like to have a Mother's Day luncheon for Gold Star Moms whose son or daughter is in the armed forces serving overseas. Any ideas for decorations and food would be very helpful. I do not know how many would be attending at this time.

By Pat S.

Question: Mother's Day Devotional Theme Ideas

I need help with a rainbow theme for Mother's Day devotional outline. We have a young girl who wants to sing, Somewhere Over the Rainbow.

By Jan

Question: Mother's Day Luncheon Ideas

I would love to have a Mother's Day luncheon, but I don't have a clue on what games or activities to do. What can I do at my Mother's Day luncheon?

By teresavg from Chicago, IL

Most Recent Answer

08/19/2009

You certainly are planning ahead ;-) Could you post more info about the luncheon? Is it for you, your mom or for a few moms? It would make it easier to come up with ideas for you that way :-)

Question: Themes for a Mother's Day Brunch

I am trying to come up with a theme for our Mother's Day brunch at Church. I found ideas for prizes, but I really need themes. Can anyone help, please?

Sharon from Beckley, WV

Most Recent Answer

By Calista02/01/2010

We do a coffee/cafe theme at our church now. We did the tea for years, but felt the need to update that. Last year we based it on Col 2:7 "rooted, built up, strengthened" with nurture as the overall idea. We painted large coffee mugs with flowers and filled them with coffee beans and placed tea lights in them as centerpieces/door prizes. We dipped plastic spoons in chocolate and drizzled colored white chocolate over it, wrapped in cellophane and tied with raffia (as coffee stir spoons) for favors.

Other ideas I'm playing with for this year's decor: French cafe theme (think Paris cafe or boutique), quiche lorraine or croissant lorraine (scrambled egg filling with traditional lorraine ingredients), tartines (open faced sandwich on toasted bagettes), lavender scented chocolates (simmer milk with lavender and strain before adding chocolate, then put in molds), little lavender or coffee soaps with raffia ribbon for favors, etc.

beach/spa theme (to treat the ladies and recognize that they need to be pampered) using Kona coffee and tropical desserts; colors: turquoise, light green, soft brown, but mostly white; sand in jars with raffia ribbon around the lip and tealights inside as centerpieces, little lotions or bubble bath as favors. Hope these help!

Question: Mother's Day Program Ideas

I am looking for mother's day program ideas.

Thanks,
Dee

Question: Decorating A Straw Hat For Mother's Day

I need ideas for how to decorate a straw hat for a mother's day banquet.

Ruth from Russell

Most Recent Answer

By Kim Churchman [3]05/08/2008

Find fake flowers at a thrift shop, rinse them up in the bathtub if you don't have a kitchen sink sprayer, and cut them up to hot-glue around the brim.

Question: Ideas For a Mother's Day Party

I need Mother's Day Party ideas. I've been asked to come up with a list of "Mother Types" ie oldest mother, youngest mother. I really can't think of much beyond those, and am not having any luck searching. It is at my Church May 10th. Any help would make my day. Thanks in advance.

Gina from Maine

Most Recent Answer

By gina (Guest Post)05/11/2008

Thanks for the ideas. Our event went great, These are the "mother types" I came up with-
Mother who had a child born in a car-0 results
Mother that had baby at home- (1) baby is now 65years old
Mother with largest baby-(1) 9lbs. 14 oz.
Mother of twins-(0)
Mother with smallest baby- (1) 4lbs. 6 ozs.
Mother who was the oldest when she gave birth to her last child-(1) 36 years old
Mother with the most grandchildren-(1) 9 grandchildren

I also read a poem I got off the internet "Before I was a Mother" then I had all the mother's write their own lines to that statement. Had some pretty funny one and some sweet ones. All in all we had a good time, praising the Lord for allowing us to be Mother's. Thank you everyone for your input. I will certainly used this site again. Happy Mother's Day to you all!!!! Gina

Question: "Spice It Up" Themed Mother's Day Program

I am decorating the tables for our annual Mother's Day program. The theme is "Spice It Up". Spicing up your life, getting a makeover, etc. Any ideas on what to do for the centerpieces?

Stephanie from Munroe Falls, OH

Most Recent Answer

By denise w (Guest Post)04/19/2008

I would fill clear bowls with inexpensive makeup, hair gel, mouse, combs, sachets, etc. This can then also double as their party favors.

Question: Games for Church Mother's Day Party

Does anyone have any ideas for games and decorations for a Mother's Day church party.

Marjorie from Michigan

Most Recent Answer

By mary archer05/05/2009

Things I remember about my mother; hair color, eye color, work [housework or outside home}, her favorite color, her most treasured items, best recipe, her most used phrase, when you regret not listening to her advice,her best clothes, nniest thing you remember she did, ect. End with a prayer thanking the Lord for their Mothers.

Question: Mother's Day Favors

I am really on a tight budget for Mother's Day for my church. I need to do 300 favors for all the mothers and only $100 was given. So please help me out with some ideas.

Thanks,
Terryann from Hartford, CT

Most Recent Answer

By Calista02/01/2010

Last year we splurged a little and got each mom 2 chocolates and put them in little purse shaped favor boxes, but you can take the same idea by making each mom a little chocolate (maybe a truffle) and wrap them in colored foil. If there's budget left you could place a sticker or glue a small silk flower on top. Or, if you know someone who has a die-cutting machine that you could use, you could make little boxes for them.

Question: Mother's Day Game Ideas

For a Mother's Day party at my church, does anyone have any ideas for a game? The "theme" is Consider The Lilies, but the game does not have to go along with the theme. Thanks for answering.

Marjorie from Michigan

Most Recent Answer

By Mary Lou [14]04/05/2007

How about a bingo style game with M-O-T-H-E-R as the letters instead of the word BINGO.
OR gather pictures of famous mothers and have everybody wear one. It will be an ice breaker when you go around and see how many you can name.
There is a relay race where people dress a baby doll as fast as they can, undress it and run back to the end of the line. First team to finish wins.
You could do finish the famous sayings or motherly maxims. ex. ----- is the mother of invention.

RE: Mother's Day Game Ideas

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Mother's Day Luncheon Ideas

I work for a foster care and adoption agency. Every year we hold a luncheon the day before Mother's Day to honor any local birthmothers who might want to come. I would appreciate any suggestions for gifts or a theme for this year.

Some examples of past ones are forget-me-not seeds in special packets with a poem, aloe vera plants with a handmade copper wire and bead decoration (aloe vera because it is healing). We dug them up from a staff member's yard. We are a non-profit on a very tight budget. I know you all will have some wonderful ideas so thank you in advance.

Tricia from Tucson, AZ

RE: Mother's Day Luncheon Ideas

Baby's breath is inexpensive and easily divided; local supermarkets usually have "you-make" selections of flowers for floral arranging that feature some form of baby's breath, as well as, ready-made mixed flower bouquets. If you separate the baby breath into smaller branches and place a single blossom in the center (representing the mother), taken from the mixed bouquet, then make a cone of colored tissue (available in multi-colored packs at the $ store) and tie it with a ribbon. Perhaps you could attach a salt/flour clay heart (or cornstarch clay; recipes available on the internet-very low cost and can be incised with a message or made flat for a sticker), you should have a low-cost, fine-looking, thoughtful gift. (02/06/2007)

By Cate

RE: Mother's Day Luncheon Ideas

An inexpensive and personalized gift might be to buy a number of small unfinished picture frames at a crafts store and embellish them with home-found "treasures" cast-off jewelry, lacquered ribbons, three dimensional objects of your choice; beads, buttons, whatever. Take a picture digitally of each mother as she enters and print it to fit the frame, giving her a moment in time to recall her day of recognition. (02/06/2007)

By

RE: Mother's Day Luncheon Ideas

Go to Goodwill or Salvation Army stores, etc., and buy pretty cups and saucers, fill with a couple of flavored tea bags and small, individual packs of good cookies. Mugs and coffee bags with cookies are nice, too. A poem or note about the birthmother's warm love could be attached to the handle with a ribbon. Our daughter gave a baby boy up for adoption nine years ago. Though it hurt us all at the time, we knew it was the greatest act of love she could give him. The parents keep in touch with us and send pictures every birthday. They are wonderful. (02/10/2007)

By Margie M.