Moving With Houseplants

Category House Plants
Woman Moving With Houseplants
When transporting your plants, protecting them from damage can be a challenge. This guide is about moving with houseplants.

I am moving to another state in the summer. How can I safely transport my plants?

By Joanne

Use a box larger than the plant, line it with a plastic garbage bag (do not close at the top). Put plenty of paper towels soaked in water around the plant to keep from drying out. Close top of box and mark 'fragile' and watch the movers so the boxes are at the top and back of the truck, so they can be taken out first.

Yes, you can put a Peoria in a pot and keep it in the house until ready to set out. I set one in a pot and the following year I still wasn't able to set it out. It bloomed just like it would have if I had set it in the ground. I don't know about a bleeding heart.

I am selling my house and eventually moving into another house. I would like to take some of my outside plants with me. However, I will probably live in an apartment for about 6 months to a year before I find another house. Can I plant a Peonia into a pot and keep it indoors until I can return to a more permanent outside garden? Also, what about a Bleeding heart? I tried to winter a Bleeding Heart last year, by putting it in a semi-dark, cool room and sprinkling it lightly with water every now and then, but it didn't make it. One more question: I may move from Alaska(zone 5-6) to Colorado(zone 4-7), Can you take a piece of the root of the above mentioned plants and still have success re-growing? How.

Mary