Mower With a Briggs & Stratton Engine Won't Start

My mower has a 16 h B and S twin engine. It has fresh gas, new oil and good spark plugs. The mower will not start. Any ideas?

By alan2902 from PA

Mower With a Briggs and Stratton Engine Won't Start

There's a dozen things that could cause this problem. Start with the fuel line, as it might be clogged. Could be the starter has gone bad. Have you checked your manual to look for trouble shooting ideas? Here's links you might check out.

By Lorelei

Thanks for the help. I pulled the cylinder heads and found that I have one stuck piston on the left side and one stuck intake valve on the right side. Time to make repairs. Not sure if piston is stuck or the or the connecting rod snapped, I would guess the rod is the problem. Thanks again for the ideas. (06/03/2009)

By alan2902

My son thought he'd get my mower ready for me and over filled the oil. 2 uses and it won't start. I figured the spark plug was carboned up so I pulled off the rubber cover, unscrewed the plug and cleaned between the post and metal piece at the end (there's a gap). Use a nail file or emery board to remove the soot, and it starts just fine. I had to drain some of that oil too. (06/04/2009)

By siris

Photo of a push lawn mower.
Fixing a Lawn Mower That Won't Start
Man Fixing Mower
Mower Won't Start
Man tinkering with a riding mower.
Riding Lawn Mower Won't Start
Craftsman Riding Mower
Craftsman Riding Mower Won't Start