Musty Smell In Suitcase

I would like to know how to get the musty smell out of an old suitcase. I am redoing the inside material. I tore the old out, but before putting new in I need to get rid of the musty odor.

Tina from Clare, Iowa

Answers:

Musty Smell In Suitcase

I would spray it down with hydrogen peroxide (yep, the cheap stuff from the drugstore) and after it dries close up the case with an open bag of plain charcoal like you use for the b-b-q. After a few days it should be odor free.
If this is a really old case made out of paperboard it may never stop smelling. The same mold that gets into old books gets into the paperboard and it is almost impossible to get that out. Good luck. (07/14/2006)

By Carla

Musty Smell In Suitcase

Open the suitcase and leave in the sun. This helps with musty odors. Also fill it with newspaper and closing it is another method as the newspaper absorbs the odor. When storing it, add crumpled newspaper to keep it smelling fresh. (07/14/2006)

By angellface

Musty Smell In Suitcase

I agree with the person who aired theirs out outside in the sun. But, as a preventive measure to avoid "musty" suitcases between trips, I throw in 1/4 to 1/2 bar of good smelling soap, perfume soap bars are nice, or something like Irish Spring is good. When you put away your suitcase, just throw the piece of a soap bar in. Smell stays nice. (07/14/2006)

By Glinda

Musty Smell In Suitcase

Have you tried Febreze ? It's a great product! I've used it on many things and it hasn't failed me yet. (07/14/2006)

By sadiejoy

Musty Smell In Suitcase

Trying placing a dryer sheet in the suitcase, closed tightly, for a couple of days. When my dog had a run-in with a skunk and rubbed her face on my cloth purse, that's the only thing that finally got the odor out. Good luck. (07/17/2006)

By Kate

Musty Smell In Suitcase

Put a few pieces of chalk or charcoal (not the kind with lighter fluid in it) in the case, close it up for a few days, the odor should be gone after. You can also try a piece of potato or apple. I've never used those, but I have heard it works.
Good luck! (10/05/2007)

By Doones

Musty Smell In Suitcase

Spray the inside of suitcase and leave open outside, with Simply Green. It works, you may have to do this a second time. Also removes cigarette smoke smell (I loaned my bag to a smoker-never again).

I also sprayed the the bag on my vacuum cleaner
and it removed the stink (not sure what it was), but it was bad. (10/12/2008)

By Judy

Musty Smell In Suitcase
cleaning bucket
Eliminating Musty Smells from a Room
Old Stained Book Laying Open
Removing Musty Smell from Books
Suitcase Dog Bed
Making a Suitcase Dog Bed
Packing a Suitcase, Suitcase Ready for Travel
Packing a Suitcase
🎉
🎄