Musty Smell on Clothing

I have some clothing that was in storage and became damp. So far there isn't any mold just a musty smell. Is there a way to get this smell out?

Debra from Wilmington, NC

Answers:

Musty Smell on Clothing

Easier than you could ever imagine. I had some sleeping bags that smelled very musty from storage. I tried all kinds of laundry supplies, then I told my brother what I was doing and he told me to add 1/2 cup baking soda to the wash water, and 1/2 cup white vinegar to the rinse water. It worked and it was cheap and already on hand. (02/14/2006)

By brenda thompson

Musty Smell on Clothing

A method I have used with clothes that are not washable is to hang the clothes out of doors for days at a time. Recently this was successful with a sheepskin jacket which would have been very expensive to dry clean. (02/15/2006)

By Julia

Musty Smell on Clothing

I live in Indiana and don't have this problem. However, it seems to me that all those silicone packets (usually labelled don't eat) might be a help as they are good at protecting electronics, they might help keep moisture off clothes. (06/04/2006)

By eresatay

Musty Smell on Clothing

Put offensive clothes in plastic bag put cotton balls dipped in pure vanilla AROUND but not on clothing tie bag up and leave this way for several hours. This idea is best used after washing clothes in vinegar and 22 mule borax wash and vinegar rinse. (11/27/2006)

By marisa

Basket of musty smelling clothing.
Removing Musty Smell from Clothing
cleaning bucket
Eliminating Musty Smells from a Room
Must Leather Couch
Removing Musty Smell From Leather Furniture
Old Stained Book Laying Open
Removing Musty Smell from Books
An old wooden wardrobe.
Removing Musty Smell from a Wardrobe
🎄