Musty Smell on Clothing

Last spring I put my winter clothing in my garage. Now that I am getting them out, they smell very musty. What can I do to get rid of the smell?

By Settler from Springboro, OH

Answers:

Musty Smell on Clothing

I have had this problem and the only thing that worked for me is washing the clothes in hot water. I normally use cold water to wash clothes but that didn't work. I tried baking soda and all the usual methods, but none of them worked for me. I might add that vinegar didn't work either. I think the musty smell is actually a kind of mold growing in the clothing. They will continue to smell until you kill that mold. (09/24/2009)

By Carol in PA

Musty Smell on Clothing

When mine get that way I wash them in cold water adding a full bottle of generic Febreze (I get it at the Dollar Store). If it's nice weather I hang them out to dry. If not, then it's into the dryer. Either way they come out smelling nice and fresh. (09/24/2009)

By Cricketnc

Basket of musty smelling clothing.
Removing Musty Smell from Clothing
cleaning bucket
Eliminating Musty Smells from a Room
Must Leather Couch
Removing Musty Smell From Leather Furniture
Old Stained Book Laying Open
Removing Musty Smell from Books
An old wooden wardrobe.
Removing Musty Smell from a Wardrobe
🎄