Nail Polish Stains on Clothing

I spilled nail polish on a pair of pants (87% Nylon, 13% Elastine). What can I use to remove it without ruining the pants?

By Janine from Moranbah, QLD, Australia

Answers:

Nail Polish Stains on Clothing

I splurged for the sweetest white cotton dress with purple flowers for my toddler. She found bright blue nail polish (neon colored) and "went to town." It was all over the new dress! $36 dollars gone and she'd only worn it once. I scrambled to find hairspray and bug spray after nail polish remover failed. I couldn't find any hairspray.

Instead, I used Krud Kutter (Target), which I use to get out food stains on carpet. I sprayed it on and watched the nail polish bleed onto the rest of the fabric. I waited a few minutes and sprayed a little more. After about ten minutes and a small amount of scrubbing with the back of my nail, all the nail polish vanished and her dress was like new. Krud Kutter is amazing. (04/01/2010)

By krudkutter

Nail Polish Stains on Clothing

Thank you all. It was all great feedback and I will be certain to give it a try. The bug spray seems to be the popular one for my particular garment. Great site, keep it up! (04/02/2010)

By janine.k.bennett

Nail Polish Stains on Clothing

OK, so cheer camp is coming up and our squad has to wear the same thing. I ordered hot pink Nike shorts like our coach asked. I wore them around the house and was messing around with nail polish. I got some on the shorts. :( I did not tell my mom because I knew she would get mad.

So first, I used nail polish remover to try and get it out. It removed the outside layer, but not the entire stain. Then I used some hairspray and a toothbrush to try and get it off, nothing. So then I used Spray-n-Wash and put them in the washer. Some time later I take them out and the stain is still there. :O Desperate, I use Off! bug spray, Matisse hair spray, and Tea Tree oil. I combine them on the shorts and rub it in with a toothbrush. I was so happy when the stain was gone and my mom didn't find out! Hope this helps!;) (05/28/2010)

By t-nail19

Nail Polish Stains on Clothing

Bug spray worked for me! Wow, I just have to say that there truly is a way to remove deep pink nail polish that has dried for 24 hours on a light, colored brand new swim suit. (My 5 year-old hid the swim suit after having an "accident", she confessed the next day.) I tried many of the things I read on here. (Nail polish remover, hair spray, tea tree oil, Goof Off, Oxi-Clean).

The hair spray seemed to do the most to remove the nail polish, but still left a deep colored stain. I finally decided that was the best it was going to get and took it into the laundry room to toss in the wash. I noticed a can of Repel insect repellent on the shelf and remembered reading that bug spray also worked sometimes.

I sprayed it on the stains and blotted it with a cloth, and I kid you not, the stain completely disappeared after about the third time. Unbelievable! That is the first time I have ever had success removing nail polish. I now know there really is a way to do it! Just keep trying different things, and don't give up. (06/26/2010)

By Glorybound333

Nail Polish Stains on Clothing

I used a bar of Don Massimo. It takes out the stain but in the process weakens the fibers of the cloth (as it is an abrasive). (07/15/2010)

By nancyillman

Nail Polish Stains on Clothing

Off insect repellent works really well. My daughter spilled hot pink nail polish on her white comforter and Off alone took it right out, I was shocked! (08/10/2010)

By bromanlex

A nail polish brush dripping.
Removing Nail Polish from Clothing and Fabric
Nail Polish Drying Tips
Nail Polish Drying Tips and Tricks
Nail Polish Remover Stain on Leather
Fixing Nail Polish Remover Stains on Leather
Nail Polish Spill
Removing Nail Polish from Carpet
Two girls putting on nail polish on a couch.
Removing Nail Polish Stains From a Couch
🎄