How to Prevent Neighborhood Cats From Peeing and Spraying on Doors

Category Cats
Even cat lovers are not happy when the neighborhood cats pee or spray on their entry doors. This is a guide about how to prevent neighborhood cats from peeing and spraying on doors.

There are 2 cats in particular. They urinate on my front and back doors. I have a big enclosure connected to my house as I am a responsible pet owner and don't wish to annoy neighbours.

I've read a few suggestions, one I was keen on was a cayenne pepper and water spray? I can't see a recipe. Any ideas would be great, also if anyone has tried lavender or other oils, I would love feedback.

Answer Was this helpful? 3
Best Answer

You can also partially bury lemon slices or peels if you have any loose soil next to your door or leave the peels around on rocks.

You can call animal control, but they will likely not bother to come out for stray cats. They are more concerned about dogs. You may be able to borrow "catch and release" cat traps if you believe the cats are strays, but you run the risk of getting a skunk instead.

Best Answer

The actual cat spray is made with fresh Jalapenos, not Cayenne. If you bought fresh Cayennes you might get great results. Here's why. The dry Red Cayenne Powder lacks the essential oils, which is the main deterrent in the spray. So cutting thin slices of whole Jalapenos or Cayennes, seeds and ribs included, allows for the Capsicum Oil to be released into the water. The oil is the deterrent, the water is just a way to turn the oils into a spray to cover the entire area. By the way, you might contact your local animal shelter and ask if they participate in a TNR Program, which is Trap, Neuter, and Return. Those cats peeing on your doors are spraying, to mark their turf and to introduce themselves to a female cat. If there is a TNR policy in your area, it also puts the costs into the hands of the cat owners - if they want to get their cat back. They'll pay the shelter's fees and it'll give them some incentive ti either keep their cats indoors, or to just not own a cat anymore, and in my opinion, anyone who allows a virile cat to wander freely outdoors has no business "owning" a cat.

Many animal control shelters loan out traps, if they are part of a TNR Program. That's Trap, Neuter, and Return. If the cat "owner" of the trapped cat comes to the shelter to find their cat, they have to pay for services rendered in order to get their cat back, It's a great incentive to keeping irresponsible cat owners from letting their virile cats roam. By the time they pay for a license (if required in your area), neutering, and the shelter fees, they will realize there is some responsibility that comes with having a "pet."

Cats hates moth balls . it works great my cat will not come on porch

Anonymous

You definitely are right about the moth balls!! It really keeps the cats away!! I ought a couple of boxes from Walmart and sprinkled them all around my house, the cats didn't even touch our trash bags that we left outside our kitchen! It was a true test!! However, I didn't realize moth balls don't last very long, maybe a week, they melt or something. I thought I had hit the jackpot with this one, but buying balls every week can get costly, too costly. I need something that will work and last, please help me! Natty cats peeing outside our for and anything that is left outside. Horrible..

Do you mean pool as in collection of screens, or as in a pool that you've filled with screens? In either case, you needn't worry about cats throwing it. They haven't the size, strength, or opposable digits to throw either.

"Only way would be if I trapped them. Not buying a trap" -- If you're not willing to solve the problem, why are you here? To beg for a free trap? Good luck with that.

We spread ceyanne pepper in our flower beds last year (we have feral cats in our neighborhood). YES they stopped pooping in the flower beds...instead they pooped on our lawn!

Hey, sometimes the Humane Society has traps you can use ( you have to leave a deposit) at least they do where I live!

I love this idea, but in my area the animal shelters will not take a cat whatsoever. If you can catch the cat doing this you can put vinegar in a water gun and spray them.......

What can I do to prevent neighborhood cats from spraying on my screens and patio doors? I don't even have a cat! Every time I wash the windows (with vinegar or ammonia) they do it again. Please help.

Debbie from HB, CA

Best Answer

Okay, a cats urine has a high content ammonia based smell so when you wipe down the screen with vinegar/ammonia it thinks that another cat did it and wants to "one up" you and mark the territory for themselves. Wash it down with baking soda and dish soap real good.

To stop them I would put a large pan across the step of water if possible for awhile as they hate water and wont get to near it. Or if you are in a warm spot (i have snow) than a spray bootle of water at the ready to shoot at them through the open screen will stop them fast. Good luck. -Sam

I have a kitten who liked to climb on my screen doors, I went to the dollar store and bought a couple water guns and when he climbed on the door, I would shoot water at him. He soon stopped.

Don't use the Ammonia. That is what urine is! They have products out there that keep cats away from things you don't want them on. You might also put plastic up on the screen door where the cat pees. Might also wait for the cat and hit it with a water gun or gently spray it with the hose.

But do not use Ammonia -- that's what urine is!!! You are attracting him!

Hi!

I rescued from death and brought home two wild and scared female kittens. It took me months to tame these characters and before I could afford to bring them to the Vet, they became pregnant.

Then the boyfriends showed up and arrogantly invaded my space, going as far as entering my apartment. That was when I remembered my pellet rifle. The boy friends are still alive but there now exists a dead zone around my house where no neighbor cats dare to tread.My females leave the property when they want to visit the neighbors. After the kittens are born, I will have my females neutered. Anybody want a kitten? P.S. I used rolled up balls of paper and not lead pellets.

Yes, but spritz the kitty in the face with the water. They hate it. It won't hurt them and they get the message quick. Pretty soon all you have to do is pick up the water squirt bottle and they go flying!

This is such a GREAT website!! Thank you all for your helpful responses.

*NEVER USE AMMONIA to clean with as this confuses cats because ammonia smells like urine & they may urinate in the area where the ammonia has been used because they think it was another cat & they are being "territorial". Vinegar is okay though.

---> CATS HATE THE SMELL of CITRUS & PEPPER!

Try spraying Window or Window Screen with a citrus scent, or pin or tape cotton balls with a citrus scent to screen.

*** During Christmas there were some posts about how to keep cats away from Christmas trees. Everyone said that perfume worked wonders. They said it made the cats sneeze & once they sneezed, they left the Christmas tree alone!

---> The recipe below works to keep cats away from house plants & garbage cans, IT WORKS WONDERS! maybe it will also work for your window screens:

* Take a bottle & fill it with any kind of alcohol, (rubbing or Vodka). add crushed red pepper or cayenne, (& if you're daring garlic powder too)

Leave this to sit for 2 days or so then strain and put in a marked spray bottle & spray on plants, garbage, or where you want cats to keep away.

*** BE CAREFUL of which way the wind is blowing, you don't want to get this in your eyes!

----------------------------------------------------------

-----------MORE IDEAS -------------------------------

* Take a small plastic baggie, pour in dried crushed red pepper, either zip the end or fasten baggie with a rubberband, Tie a string or rubberband around the end & poke holes in plastic with a large pin, then wire, pin or rubberband this onto any area where a cat goes. Their nose is so sensitive, they will never come back!

* OR: Take a few paper envelopes. Fill with Cayenne or Crushed peppers (or maybe plain black pepper could work too) Seal the paper envelope & poke holes in it with a pin. Pin this to anywhere that cats like to pee or scratch. You could try pinning these envelopes to the screen as cats just HATE the smell of pepper!

*** Be careful IN HOMES WITH SMALL CHILDREN with HOT RED PEPPER OR CAYENNE! ***

===================================

-----> To clean up cat urine:

This is how I got rid of that nasty cat pee smell on our floor:

---> I bought OUT! pet odor neutralizer at Walmart, it works by "eating" any organic stain or odor by using a good bacteria and enzymes. it cost $4.79

The trick is to keep the "OUT!" wet so the good bacteria stay "alive" by covering with plastic wrap or an unused garbage bag. DO NOT blow dry area as this will kill the good bacteria that "eat" the stain & smell. "Out" smells like yummy vanilla, which is nice. The next day, I would repeat the application of the "OUT" product. On the third day, I would clean the area with vinegar & water. (on cement, I would use straight Cider Vinegar, but on rugs & upholstery, use diluted white vinegar) On the 4th day, I would pour plain old drugstore hydrogen peroxide the area & let it fizz & bubble up anything that's left. Do this & I can bet your cat smell will disappear!