New Garage Door Opener Trips Breaker

Category Electrical
Newly installed garage door opener.
While many homeowners can complete easy electrical projects in their home, when problems result diagnosis can be daunting. This is a guide about new garage door opener trips breaker.

My husband just installed our new garage door opener. Every time he pushes the button and it does go up it pops the breaker in the garage. The only way to shut it is to reset the breaker. This happens every time; what is wrong? I think it runs on the same one as the last door opener. Can we figure this on our own or do we need to call a handyman or electrician?

By lisaRH

Best Answer

I don't believe this is an electrical problem. Raising the garage door requires work (horsepower) from the motor in your door opener. A motor is a stupid device (my apology to all motors) and will put out whatever work is demanded of it until it burns up. The motor must be protected from overwork. One such protection is the breaker you are tripping.

Disconnect the door from the opener and make sure the door raises and lowers easily. It may be as simple as a spring adjustment.

If the door works easily by hand, disconnect the door from the drive and "raise and lower" the drive without the door to see it there is a bind in the drive itself. A fix to this may require opener replacement.

Best Answer

Did you replace the door as well? I replaced the garage door, and the new one was much heavier, and I had to replace the opener as well. Perhaps this is the problem. Also, read over the installation instructions for the door to be sure you have the right electrical connections. I don't believe door openers take much power as a general rule, so the previous posters tips might help you trouble shoot your problem.