Not Getting Power But Circuit Breaker Was Not Tripped

My electric keeps going out and the breaker is not tripping, I've even tried to flip each and every single one of them and nothing happens. I have to flip the main switch in order to get power back into the room. Please help.

By James from Indianapolis, IN

Answers:

When we moved into this cottage, we had a very hot summer, and didn't know that we could not run the microwave and the toaster (and the fridge) at the same time as they are all on the same circuit, and we tripped the circuit. But when I went out, it didn't appear that we had-we had just barely tripped it so the switch didn't flip.

After much poking and prodding (there were no listings as to which switch went to what part of the house, so we learned that in the process), we learned that we had indeed tripped it, and that the switch had to be switched off and back on again to reset it. That was not the last time that happened to us, though we've had much cooler summers since, and we know now not to run the two machines at the same time, fridge and toaster or fridge and microwave is fine, but add a third machine and we are back to resetting the switch. (02/17/2010)

By nekocat

My hubby said, you need to get an electrician quick, the main circuit trips, because the individual circuit(s) are
not tripping. They are suppose to trip when there is a problem, when they don't, the main circuit breaker in the box trips.

Syd (02/24/2010)

By sydfred

Yes, check first to make sure there is not gfic breaker on the same circuit. For those stupid like me, that means a receptacle, with pop out buttons in the middle. Our coffee pot was plugged into one that was on the same circuit as the garbage disposal I was trying to fix. Hadn't tried to make any coffee, so I didn't notice it until coming to this website. I popped the button back in and it works! Saved me from thinking I was just continuing a family curse of working on household stuff! (11/03/2010)

By sunnypm

Multimeter
Troubleshooting Electrical Circuit Problems
electrician working on breaker box
Installing a New Circuit Breaker
breaker box
Pool Keeps Tripping Circuit Breaker
Electrician Working on Circuit Breakers
Troubleshooting Circuit Breaker Problems
🎄