Installing a New Circuit Breaker?

To save money you can follow researched instructions to safely replace or install a new circuit breaker. Hiring a professional will save you time. This is a page about installing a new circuit breaker.

I have a 2 pole und.lab. inc list 20 amp breaker, that I need to replace for my heat pump with a 30 amp 2 pole breaker. Is any current breaker brand compatible? Or where might I find this exact replacement?

Answers

Best Answer

Your question really belongs on an electrical forum. I know electricity and can tell you as much as I know. The box and the wiring will determine if the 30amp 2 pole breaker can fit in this box safely. You are not really giving that much information to go on to tell you the truth. I'd really need to see the box and wiring to determine if this would work safely for you. I think that you should get a professional opinion from a certified electrician before changing this out or visit your electrical store and buy the same size fuse and replace it.

Best Answer

This is electricity you're dealing with and making changes from what any electrical fuse/box with even a small difference could be dangerous.

You can find a local contractor's electrical supply store and ask them your question.
You may also be able to find the information you need if you visit Ace Hardware, True Value Hardware or Home Depot electrical department and they may have someone that can answer your question. They will sometimes call an electrician if they do not know.

I would take a picture of your box with you and more information about your heat pump. They may also wish to know the age of present set-up.
You really need to talk with someone that knows what questions to ask you about this set-up before you make changes.

I am changing a 30 amp outlet and circuit breaker to a 20 amp. I am installing a new air conditioner that is rated for 20 amps. My old air conditioner is a 30 amp. I am running it through AWG 10 wire. To "make ready" for my new A/C, I believe I have to change both the receptacle to match the plug type (20 amp) and the circuit breaker to 20 amp. Is this correct? I think the existing AWG 10 wire can stay? Will it fit into the 20 amp receptacle and breaker?

Thanks,

Answers

Hi Mike
Yes, the wire can stay. The bigger the wire, the less electricity you waste in line drop. And yes, you can squish it into the 20 Amp breaker and the 20 Amp outlet. Just make sure you turn the breaker off beforehand, unless you want to do an impromptu rain dance.

Have FUN!
DearWebby
webby.com/humor

By Bob from New Jersey (Guest Post)

Hey Mike,
If you wanted too,You could leave the 30 amp breaker and the 30 amp recepticle and just change the plug end on the ac.This will save you alot of time and trouble,Especially in the breaker panel.
Bob

Hey Mike,
If you wanted to save yourself some time and trouble.You could,keep the 30 amp breaker and recepticle.You would just have to change the plug end on the ac.

Bob

Electricians have told me it's better to have more amerage than you need. Like others have suggested, just change the plug. Save yourself some trouble and time. You could change either the plug on the end of the a/c or install a different outlet that matches the plug's configeration.

By tim (Guest Post)

i have an old window a/c plug in with power in my living room its on a 30 amp breaker can i leave the wire and breaker and run a 110 outlet off of the same wire and breaker

By Doug (Guest Post)

is this possible?

About a month ago we had Denver weather while we were on vacation and upon returning one section of the kitchen had five outlets that won't work. I replaced a beaker that was damaged during the storm. I installed the new one and turned the main power on the circuit breaker pane. That same breaker keeps tripping. It is a 20 amp and from my reasearch it should be able to handle five outlets. It did before the storm.

Please help!

Thank you,

Answers

Here are some main causes:

-Overloaded Circuit
-Short Circuit
-Ground Fault

For more details on how to check, go to:

georgebrazilplumbingelectrical.com/.../why-does-my-circuit-breaker-keep...

If you had a storm, did the wiring get wet? That could cause tripping.

Do you have ground fault outlets in the kitchen (in my area, you have to by code) See if one of them is tripped. (they have their own breaker inside them, with a reset button on the outside of the outlet). If you do, and its tripped, reset it. If it trips again, replace that outlet.

Nothing got wet.... I went and bought another breaker but the same issue continues.

I was changing the plug for my dryer, in an older home I just bought. My circuit box is not labeled well. I thought the correct breaker was off. Guess it was not. As I pulled the wires through the plug box.

Sparks went everywhere. If flipped a 15 amp breaker. And half way flipped the main 100 amp breaker. Will it work again if I just replace the 2 breakers? Or could more be wrong?

I have a a question about installing a bigger amp circuit breaker. During Christmas, after putting the lights up the C/B keeps tripping after 15 minutes. I heard that I could put a bigger amp C/B in, I think they are all 15 amp breakers now, how big can or should I go?

Thanks,
Conrad from El Centro, CA

Answers

By brian (Guest Post)

I wish I new I'm looking to add a new circuit to handle all my lights.(christmas that is.)

By Yoor Nahme (Guest Post)

Dude- Circuit breakers are sized upon the wire size. If you replace a 15 with a 20, your'e reducing the safety margin engineered into the Code.

Conrad,
Breakers are sized for the wire, not the "end user". If you have all 15A breakers, chances are you have #14 wire. You can only go up in size on a breaker if you increase the size of the wiring. In order to go to a 20A breaker you need to go up to #12 wire. The only safe way around this (without rewiring) is to split your christmas lights to several different circuits.

Install a dedicated outlet for your lights ( 30 amp breakerwith proper sized wire).

I installed a new 20 amp breaker and hooked wires to it, ground, black and white. I put it in the breaker box and flipped the switch and it trips the breaker. The other end of the wire is hooked to nothing. I am obviously doing something wrong in the breaker box. Any help will be appreciated.

By Brian K

How hard is it to replace a circuit breaker in the panel?

By John P

Answers

I hate to put it so bluntly, but if you have to ask, you should call in a licensed professional. If it's not done exactly right you are taking the very real chance of creating a serious fire hazard-surely not worth the savings to d-i-y it if you accidentally burn down the house.

Having a pro do the work will cost you around $300-800USD depending on your area but well worth the money. Your homeowner insurance policy very likely has a clause saying they won't pay if you burn down the house doing your own electrical work unless you are a licensed electrician.

There are books in the stores and libraries that can walk you through safely doing this job yourself, but they ALL have the disclaimer that you should have training. It's not that expensive to take an adult ed class at your local college, give it a thought:) I took the classes years ago when helping my then husband reno our house and I had a total blast in those classes!

When dealing with electricy and have to aska question it is best to follow the previous posters suggestion to have an licensed electrican do the work. If it a matter of replacing just the breaker itself an electrican could do the work in a few minutes and check out your electrical system in a matter of minutes. The cost would be for a hours work and maybe cost $50 bucks. When I call my local guy for work two guys show up as they work in teams and the cost is always about $50 for an hour.

I have a double wide trailer. On the pole outside I have a breaker with a double 60 amp breaker that is hooked up to everything in the trailer. I would like to know if there is any way to put a bigger breaker in there like 100 amp or maybe even 120 amp? Please someone help me.

I bought a 20 amp 115 volt welder for the garage. The circuit breaker in the main box is a 15 double pull breaker. Can I put a 20 amp double pull breaker in its place without running new wires?

By Jeff

Answers

Bruce S. is the only one on this site that can answer your question. Where are you, Bruce?

Can you replace two single 20 amp breakers with a double 60 amp breaker?

By Chris

Answers

It would not be safe to do so. The 20 amp breaker can protect a #12 AWG or larger wire. Replacing with a 60 amp double pole breaker would allow too much current to flow on the wires (presumably #12 AWG) and could lead to overheating and even fire.

Home and Garden Home Improvement Lighting and ElectricFebruary 11, 2015
📓
😷
🐛
😎
🌻
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Installing-a-New-Circuit-Breaker-1.html