Installing a Large Amp Circuit Breaker?

I have a a question about installing a bigger amp circuit breaker. During Christmas, after putting the lights up the C/B keeps tripping after 15 minutes. I heard that I could put a bigger amp C/B in, I think they are all 15 amp breakers now, how big can or should I go?

Thanks,
Conrad from El Centro, CA

By brian (Guest Post)

I wish I new I'm looking to add a new circuit to handle all my lights.(christmas that is.)

By Yoor Nahme (Guest Post)

Dude- Circuit breakers are sized upon the wire size. If you replace a 15 with a 20, your'e reducing the safety margin engineered into the Code.

Conrad,
Breakers are sized for the wire, not the "end user". If you have all 15A breakers, chances are you have #14 wire. You can only go up in size on a breaker if you increase the size of the wiring.

In order to go to a 20A breaker you need to go up to #12 wire. The only safe way around this (without rewiring) is to split your christmas lights to several different circuits.

Install a dedicated outlet for your lights ( 30 amp breakerwith proper sized wire).

Home and Garden Home Improvement Lighting and ElectricNovember 21, 2006
😎
📓
🌻
🐛
😷
https://www.thriftyfun.com/tf46551447.tip.html