Changing A 30 Amp Outlet and Circuit Breaker to a 20 Amp Circuit?

I am changing a 30 amp outlet and circuit breaker to a 20 amp. I am installing a new air conditioner that is rated for 20 amps. My old air conditioner is a 30 amp. I am running it through AWG 10 wire. To "make ready" for my new A/C, I believe I have to change both the receptacle to match the plug type (20 amp) and the circuit breaker to 20 amp. Is this correct? I think the existing AWG 10 wire can stay? Will it fit into the 20 amp receptacle and breaker?

Thanks,

Hi Mike
Yes, the wire can stay. The bigger the wire, the less electricity you waste in line drop. And yes, you can squish it into the 20 Amp breaker and the 20 Amp outlet. Just make sure you turn the breaker off beforehand, unless you want to do an impromptu rain dance.

Have FUN!
DearWebby
webby.com/humor

By Bob from New Jersey (Guest Post)

Hey Mike,
If you wanted too,You could leave the 30 amp breaker and the 30 amp recepticle and just change the plug end on the ac.This will save you alot of time and trouble,Especially in the breaker panel.

Bob

Hey Mike,
If you wanted to save yourself some time and trouble.You could,keep the 30 amp breaker and recepticle.You would just have to change the plug end on the ac.
Bob

Electricians have told me it's better to have more amerage than you need. Like others have suggested, just change the plug. Save yourself some trouble and time. You could change either the plug on the end of the a/c or install a different outlet that matches the plug's configeration.

By tim (Guest Post)

i have an old window a/c plug in with power in my living room its on a 30 amp breaker can i leave the wire and breaker and run a 110 outlet off of the same wire and breaker

By Doug (Guest Post)

is this possible?

How do I change a 60amp out put to a 20 Amp

Home and Garden Home Improvement Lighting and ElectricAugust 14, 2005
📓
🌻
🐛
😷
😎
https://www.thriftyfun.com/tf149202.tip.html