Odor from CPAP Machine Burns Nose

A couple of times a month, I wake up with my nose burning from a strong odor from my CPAP machine. I can't describe the odor other than it burns my nose and has a very weird smell. The last machine did it and I returned it immediately to the company, which gave me a new one. But I still wake up a couple of times a month feeling smothered by the odor. Has anyone else ever experienced this?

If I wait a while to restart the machine, the odor is gone.

By BJ

Showing: Answers Sort

By Fletcher 22 32 Flag

Make sure that you are using distilled water in the humidifier of the machine. Tap water usually has an odor which is generally unnoticeable, but can become very strong when you are breathing it all night. You can get distilled water at any grocery store in the bottled water section.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Lilac 20 1,329 Flag

Do you clean the machine like you should? My husband uses one and he rinses the plastic tank with weak bleach water then with vinegar. Do you wash the hose? Mold can build up in these things and is unhealthy. Do you get new mask and hose every three to four months?

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By jean 14 Flag

I have used a cpap machine for a few years now. The only time I have an odor is when I get new nose pillows or new hosing. Have you tried changing the filter, cleaning all the hoses etc.?

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By pre9120 1 Flag

I had a bout of very strong, very odd smell in my nose that would not go away for hours. The first time it happened it really had me worried. I have found that what my problem was, was the oil buildup in my mask from my nose. Since I started using cpap, my nose an surrounding area gets very oily, I would guess from the humidifier.

Now, every night before I go to bed I clean the area that the mask covers with an astringent. I also wipe out my mask every night. I clean the tubing once a month. The worst time I had was when I turned the heat on in the tubing and I hadn't been doing the routine that I am now. Sometimes in the morning, I can wipe my nose with my finger and it feels oily, something that was not a problem prior to cpap.

If left alone for a couple of days, it is a disgusting sour smell, just when I wipe my nose. This circulates through your machine and bacteria forms, which is force into your nasal passages and creates a problem. Hope this helps. Your mask and tubing cannot be clean too many times.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Comment

Health & Beauty AdviceAugust 5, 2012
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
Man in Green Shirt Smelling His Underarm
Preventing Underarm Odor
Mothballs
Removing Mothball Odor from Washing Machine
Making a quilt square on a home sewing machine.
Machine Quilting on a Home Sewing Machine
CPAP Machine
Using a CPAP Machine
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 13, 2016 at 12:35:15 AM on 10.0.2.184 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings