Browsing: CPAP Machine Smells Strange

Odor from CPAP Machine Burns Nose

A couple of times a month, I wake up with my nose burning from a strong odor from my CPAP machine. I can't describe the odor other than it burns my nose and has a very weird smell. The last machine did it and I returned it immediately to the company, which gave me a new one. But I still wake up a couple of times a month feeling smothered by the odor. Has anyone else ever experienced this?

If I wait a while to restart the machine, the odor is gone.

By BJ

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance

Make sure that you are using distilled water in the humidifier of the machine. Tap water usually has an odor which is generally unnoticeable, but can become very strong when you are breathing it all night. You can get distilled water at any grocery store in the bottled water section.

Do you clean the machine like you should? My husband uses one and he rinses the plastic tank with weak bleach water then with vinegar. Do you wash the hose? Mold can build up in these things and is unhealthy. Do you get new mask and hose every three to four months?

I have used a cpap machine for a few years now. The only time I have an odor is when I get new nose pillows or new hosing. Have you tried changing the filter, cleaning all the hoses etc.?

I had a bout of very strong, very odd smell in my nose that would not go away for hours. The first time it happened it really had me worried. I have found that what my problem was, was the oil buildup in my mask from my nose. Since I started using cpap, my nose an surrounding area gets very oily, I would guess from the humidifier.

Now, every night before I go to bed I clean the area that the mask covers with an astringent. I also wipe out my mask every night. I clean the tubing once a month. The worst time I had was when I turned the heat on in the tubing and I hadn't been doing the routine that I am now. Sometimes in the morning, I can wipe my nose with my finger and it feels oily, something that was not a problem prior to cpap.

If left alone for a couple of days, it is a disgusting sour smell, just when I wipe my nose. This circulates through your machine and bacteria forms, which is force into your nasal passages and creates a problem. Hope this helps. Your mask and tubing cannot be clean too many times.

CPAP Machine Smells Strange
Health & Beauty AdviceAugust 5, 2012
Man in Green Shirt Smelling His Underarm
Preventing Underarm Odor
Mothballs
Removing Mothball Odor from Washing Machine
Making a quilt square on a home sewing machine.
Machine Quilting on a Home Sewing Machine
CPAP Machine
Using a CPAP Machine
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on September 25, 2016 at 6:49:28 AM on 10.0.0.186 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.