Ombré Smash Cake

Category Cakes
Making a smash cake for your young child's first birthday allows your little one to enjoy their birthday cake in their own way. This is a guide about ombre smash cake.

For my son's first birthday, I made him a blue ombre smash cake. It was a bit challenging to make, but well worth the time.

• buttercream frosting (divided into 4 bowls)
  • gel food coloring
  • spatulas
  • prepared layer cake
  • decorating turn table

1. Prepare buttercream frosting. (I use Wilton's recipe for medium consistency.) Divide the icing in half. Set aside 1/2 for filling and crumb coating the cake. Divide the other 1/2 equally into 4 small bowls. Leave 1 bowl white, then use blue gel icing colors to color the other 3 bowls light, medium, and dark blue.
  2. Place the cake on the turn table. Crumb coat the cake with white icing.
  3. Ad
  4. Apply the darkest blue icing to the lower 1/3 of the cake. Use the narrow end of the spatula to keep the icing just in that section. (I applied the icing fairly thick at first to give me enough to blend the colors.)
  5. Ad
  6. Apply the medium blue icing just above the dark.
  7. Follow by adding the light blue icing.
  8. Ad
  9. Finally apply the white icing to the top.
  10. Now use the full length of the spatula to smooth the icings together. This will blend the colors together where they meet, creating the ombré effect.
  11. Ad
  12. This tiny cake is perfect for using as a smash cake or use this technique on a larger cake for any occasion.
  13. NOTE: I didn't have a small round cake pan so I had to use a small oval. I then used a plastic lid as a template to cut my layers into circles using a sharp bread knife.

Videos

Here is the perfect smash cake for a first birthday, in a beautiful ombré design. Learn how to make it in this short video.