Organizing Meat in The Freezer

Have we had a thread on keeping track of all this bulk produce?! Having meat languishing at the bottom of the freezer for years until unfit to eat isn't saving anything. The reason I ask is I have just bought a large freezer mainly to save money but also as I have a yearling cow that I raised from a calf that's getting a bit big to play 'chase Mummy' so it will be butchered. I also have 5 lambs that someone gave me that will go the same way eventually. I am in need of a simple method to keep track of what I have and mark off what I use from the freezer. I have been leaning towards a simple paper method - a form taped to the lid as I know if I'm cooking and have to break off to go to the computer I will probably forget! Does anyone have any fool proof methods?

Thanks,
Jo

Answers:

Organizing Meat in The Freezer

The paper method is the way to go. I draw a 'floor plan' of the freezer, marked in sections, to indicate the location of the goods, which I have ordered by meats, vegetables, and breads or pasta. Each item is individually dated, though you could add this to the 'floor plan'. Each week, as I think about what we'll be eating, I review the list of freezer contents and decide what, if anything, I want to use. By the way, I keep my list on my refrigerator where I see it every day.

Organization and a guilty conscience work every time! (10/13/2004)

By audidudi

Organizing Meat in The Freezer

I used to work at a restaurant. What we did, and what I do today, is wrap meat in plastic wrap and then in aluminum foil. Then mark with black marker the date and what type of food it was on the foil. With large/bulk plastic wrap and aluminum foil this ends up being quite cheap for me. Then each type of meat has its own piece of real esate in the freezer. When new meat is put in it was always put under or behind the older meat so that the old meat is used first. We would go through the meat fairly quickly at the restaurant so there wasn't much risk of it going bad but at home if I think I will be storing meat for a long, long time, i will put a likely expiration date on it too. (10/13/2004)

By Stacey

Organizing Meat in The Freezer

I have my 2 large freezers also "listed and posted" . These lists are taped to the freezer. Inside my freezer I put everything in boxes. Three layers high and five boxes wide (with an area in the front about 8" wide that goes right to the bottom). All pork in one box. All chicken in one box. All bacon, sausage sticks, in another. One for frozen raspberries, one for strawberries, one for rhubarb, you get the picture. I then know at a glance what I have and don't have. The boxes are originally empty tomato boxes from the store that have handles. This way they are easy to lift in and out of the freezer, especially when you need to get something from the bottom box. The freshest stuff is at the bottom of the freezer. I wrap my meat in plastic wrap and then in freezer paper, label and freeze. (But I am going to try the plastic wrap and then the aluminum foil... if the price is right,....I need to compare the price of freezer paper vs. aluminum foil first). (10/13/2004)

By valleyrimgirl

Organizing Meat in The Freezer

I inventory everything in my freezer in categories i.e. meat, fruits, vegetables etc. I do put this on a document on my computer. Then I have 2 short running lists on the side of my fridge held by a magnet. One is labeled 'In Freezer', the other 'Out of Freezer'. When I either put or take I write it on the list and when I have time I then go to the computer and change my document. Works like a charm. (10/13/2004)

By Betty

Organizing Meat in The Freezer
Organizing Your Cross-Top Freezer, Picture of an organized freezer.
Organizing Your Cross-Top Freezer
Chest Freezer
Chest Freezer Reviews
A chest freezer full of frozen food.
Organizing Your Chest Freezer
Organizing Your Freezer
🎉
🎄