Organizing Your Linen Closet

Many of us struggle with developing an effective way to organize our linen closet. Do we keep the sheet sets together or sort sheets, pillowcases, etc. And then there are the towels and blankets. This is a guide about organizing a linen closet.

Woman holding linens in front of linen closet.
Filter Sort

Tip: Store Sheets Inside Pillowcases

By dorothy wedenoja 170 111

This tip will save you looking for a matching bottom and top sheet with matching pillowcases. Put folded sheets and one of the pillowcases inside the other pillowcase.

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Organizing a Linen Closet

I need some help organizing my linen closet. it is JAM PACKED full of blankets (most of which we use because of frequent guest). It is very small and had about five shelves in it. Any suggestions?

Renee from AR

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

If you have a lot of extra closet space, you can hang the blankets on large hangers at the end of the closet. Another thing is to get some of those space saver bags and place them in there and make it smaller.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Storing Sheets Inside Pillowcases

This is a guide about storing sheets inside pillowcases. Organize your linen closet by storing sheets inside the matching pillowcases.

Storing Sheets Inside Pillowcases

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Don't Use Your Linen Closet For Your Sheets

By Judy = Oklahoma 60 750

I haven't stored my sheets in my linen closet for years! Every bed has 2 sets of sheets. I fold the sheets as most everyone else seems to do, and fold the pillowcase around it (or you can slip the sheets into the pillowcase). Then I put the extra set between the mattresses of the bed it is for. I either slip them in at the foot of the bed, or the side - whichever is more convenient.

When we had babies in cribs, I folded the crib sheets, put them in a plastic bag, and slipped it between the mattress and springs. This way the sheets are handy and easy to get to when I want to change them, and it frees a tremendous amount of space in my linen closet for other things. This was really helpful when there were 6 of us in the house!

By lyonpridej from Oklahoma

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Organizing My Linen Closet

By Bayliner 3 15

I "try" to keep my linen closet organized using a few tricks. I don't fold my sheets and pillowcases together in sets because I intermingle the top/bottom sheets and pillow cases. What I do is fold the sheets as neatly as I can and put them in two baskets stored on the floor of my closet. I bought wire baskets that hang under the shelves and use them to store my pillow cases that have been folded and then rolled up too. For my towels, I also roll and stack them on the top shelf.

Putting my sheets in baskets helps me keep them together neatly. Rolling the towels and pillow cases makes it easier to store them and also helps find matching sets. I even roll my placemats after I take them out of the dryer. It makes it so much easier to find matching placemats and keeps them from wrinkling.

Source: This is an organizing trick I came up with years ago when I finally had it with my disorganized linen closet. It held everything, but I could find nothing.

By Bayliner from Nottingham, MD

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Hanging Linens in a Closet

To prevent creases when hanging linens from wire hangers, take a cardboard tube from a used up roll of paper towels and cut lengthwise. Then slip it over the wire hanger and apply tape where you cut the tube. Then you can rest your linens on the tube instead of the wire.

By ThriftyFun

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Fresh Smelling Sheet Sets

By Faye Dutkiewicz 6 13

I fold the top and bottom sheets in rectangles. Then I wrap them with the folded pillow cases, and a scented dryer sheet between the sheets. I put the complete bundle into a transparent recycled bag. When it is time to change the bedding, your complete set for each size of bed is altogether and smelling fresh.

By Faye D. from The Pas, Manitoba, Canada

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Keeping Linens Together

By Erica 10 6

After washing and drying your sheets, fold them and the pillowcases neatly and put them in one of the pillowcases and store them in the linen closet. When you are ready to get a fresh pair of sheets, they are all together and organized and you don't have to look for matching pieces. You can also add a fabric softener sheet so that they smell nice and fresh!

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Store Linens In Each Bedroom

By Dee T. 2 14

When bed linens are washed and dried, they are folded as flat sheet, fitted sheet, and pillowcases in layers together. They go in a drawer in whichever room those sheets are used. If you have several beds of the same size, then color code each room.

Then leave your hall linen closet for towels and tablecloths. I also have a shelf with a large lazy Susan in the linen closet for spares of soap, hair care products, and bathroom cleanup supplies. This way I can store more, without people pulling other things out just to get the item they need.

By Dee T. from Salem, OR

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Organizing Sheets By Room and Rotating Towels

By Lori 3

I place all of sheets together in one of the pillowcases, so the set is together and easy to grab. I store the clean sheets in the closet of the room they are going to be used in. So when I strip the bed, I just take a couple steps to grab the clean sheets. In the master bedroom I have a wicker chest that I store the sheets in, with a clove wrapped in a paper towel and stuck between each set.

For the towels that I store in the linen closet, I fold them in a way that they fit nicely on the shelf. One section of shelf is left open, so the towels are rotated as we use them. The ones just washed go in the empty space.

By Lori

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Keep Bedding Sets Together

By June Odom 5 3

When I fold the sheets from the dryer, I always fold the fitted sheet and then I fold the pillowcases together and put both inside the fold of the top sheet. When I get the sheets from the linen closet, I have everything I need. I do not have to look for the fitted sheet and the pillowcases because everything is all together.

Having both queen and king size beds, it is much easier to do it this way.

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Identifying Bed Sheet Sizes

By lindelou58 1

Does this tag tell the size of the bedding eg. full, queen, or king? How do you tell the size once the bedding is removed from its packaging?

tag on sheet

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Pixiedust7 7 897 Flag

Lindalou58, that tag definitely says nothing about the sheet size. It gives washing instruction symbols only. I Googled "sheet sizes in inches" and found some helpful websites. The most useful one was Wikipedia. The link is below; just scroll down to the "North American" chart.

Outside of that, you could try the sheets on the beds and see which ones they fit. When you find the match, then write "Twin", "Full", "Queen" or whatever on that tag with a bold Sharpie, or on a corner of the sheet as someone else suggested. The Wikipedia chart gives the range in inches, and you could measure the sheets with a tape measure.

Link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bedding

Good luck!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Easy Way to Identify Different Size Bed Sheets

What's a clever and easy way to identify my full size from king size sheets? They are all white in color.

By Gina K

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By jean99 6 30 Flag

Once your sheet is folded you can mark it with colored chalk.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Keeping Sheet Sets Together

By Bobbie Jacks 1

I organize my sheet sets by folding the sheets and placing them in the matching pillowcase. I also organize my sheet sets by having a shelf for each size; such as the queen size on one shelf, and the twins on another, etc. I also place clean extra blankets under the sheets for the same size bed. Then when you want to make up a bed in a hurry, all you have to do is reach to the right shelf to get down sheets and blankets for that size bed.

By Bobbie J. from Wichita, KS

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Using Ribbon for a Neat Linen Closet

By Brenda Sherwin 4 4

I make my linen area look really neat by taking sheet sets and pillowcases and tying them together with inexpensive colorful ribbon. I'm sure this would work with towel sets as well. If you used different color ribbons you could identify linens for different sizes of beds. It looks great and makes it easy to grab a whole set in a hurry.

By Brenda from Jackson Hole, WY

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Put Clean Sheets Back on Bed

By Bullfrog Corner 2 9

I try not to ever fold sheets by washing and drying them and then putting them right back on the bed. Note, that this caused a problem in my first marriage because my husband thought I never changed the sheets.

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Fold Pillowcases Together

By Rosa Marie 3 1

This tip is helpful for folding your pillow cases. I always take both my pillow cases (seam sides together) and fold BOTH together as you would fold one pillow case.

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Organizing Sheets

By Peg 1 1

I like to keep sets together or sheets that I created sets out of by folding them, along with one pillowcase, and putting the entire set into the other pillowcase. This way, you have a neat sheet section in your closet or drawer, and they fit together better too.

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Organizing The Linen Closet

To keep table linens from creasing, install a rod just beneath a low shelf and hang the linens on hangers padded with paper towel tubes. Fold and store bed or bath linens by sets, not by size.

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: The Dream Linen Closet

By Allison Dey 7 32

Recently my son decided he wanted fresh new white sheets and he did need a new comforter. Our sheets are old or hand-me-downs, so I thought it would be nice to give him some new items.

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Spruce Up Your Linen Closet

By Pat C 1

Simply fold towels together. While folding, fold one of the bath towels around the rest of the set, making it a size and shape that stacks nicely in your storage closet.

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Organizing LinensJuly 14, 2011
    ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
    Filling Holes in Cabinet Doors
    Filling Holes in Cabinet Doors
    Bungalow style kitchen cabinet with glass paned doors.
    Cleaning Glass Doors on Wood Furniture
    Decorated and embellished fabric calendar.
    Decorating a Linen Wall Calendar
    closeup of old machine in cabinet
    Removing a Sewing Machine from Its Cabinet
    © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 8, 2016 at 12:57:07 PM on 10.0.1.229 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

All ArticlesSolutionsQuestions
    NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulMost AnswersFewest AnswersBest AnswersRelevance
    Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
    BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
    CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings