Outlets in One Room Don't Work

Category Electrical
Electrical outlet with a green cord plugged in.
Identifying the various circuits in a room can help you troubleshoot electrical problems when some outlets stop working. This is a guide about outlets in one room don't work.

All of the electrical outlets in one room stopped working at the same time. They are standard outlets so there is no reset button on them. The breaker is not tripped so what else could be the problem? Someone mentioned a possible blown fuse so how would you look for that to change it?

By Elisha S

Best Answer

Hi Elisha, Since you have breakers, you won't have fuses. You need to go to the breaker box, switch the breaker for that room off and then turn it back on. You should hear and feel a distinct click when it turns back on. If that doesn't work then, most likely, you have a bad breaker and you need an electrician to handle that. Good Luck.

Best Answer

I agree with the previous posters. If you have tried flipping the breakers on and off -- and sometimes they do not look like they have flipped off -- and that doesn't work, you need to call an electrician. If you have breakers, you will not have fuses. Any "loose wires" or anything like could cause fires or other problems.

My next guess would be a broken wire.

All the outlets in one room stopped working, the lights still come on. I replaced the breaker and all the outlets and it's still not working. Help me.

By Shinji

Best Answer

You probably have a wire broken somewhere. It could be dangerous. I suggest you turn off the breaker until you can find out what is going on. Also note that the lights and the outlets may not be on the same circuit. Find someone with electrical experience to help you trace out the circuit and find out where the problem is.

Best Answer

The very same thing happened to us recently. Outlets that go out together do so because that set is connected to one another by the wiring in the walls.

If there is a break in the power anywhere along that circuit they will all go out. It won't necessarily blow the fuse or the circuit breaker.

While it could be caused by a broken wire, it could also be just an old outlet that stops functioning due to age (ours was actually cracked inside), or a wire may have worked its way loose from the outlet over time and just needs to be refastened.

In our case, we upgraded all the outlets on that circuit with new units rather than just replacing the one that failed. All of the outlets are the same age (35 years), so we figured there is no point in waiting for them to fail one by one.

Because you've replaced all of the outlets, and the breaker, yet still have having electrical problems, it's safe to say that you have broken wires inside the walls on the circuits that are showing continued problems. The breaker you replaced may not be feeding the problem circuits, did you carefully 'map' your circuits before attempting a fix? The following link takes you to an excellent DIY site with extensive home electrical info, this page teaches you how to map your circuits:

http://www.home … ouse-wiring.html

I think, though, that at this point you need to get a licensed-bonded-insured professional electrician in there as soon as possible. Broken wires in a wall are a terrible fire hazard.

A professional has insurance (in case he/she makes serious mistakes and causes damage), and several tools in his/her kit that most homeowners don't even know exist-one of those tools is an electronic, battery operated hand-held device that detects 'live' current travel through most wall covering materials including plaster and lathe. This device will quickly discover the location of broken (or chewed, rodents in the walls happen in the best of homes:) wires so that the exact location can be found and the correct repair made. This saves tearing up long swathes of wall to find the bad wires, for one thing-a real savings right there that makes the cost of having a professional actually quite cost-effective.

Until you have a safe, correct and total fix, the safest thing to do is cut the power to the areas you are having problems with. Please do it now no matter how inconvenient because a house fire is the ultimate in 'inconvenient' you can experience!

Please update us when you have this sorted. It's always great to know when another family has been saved from the dangers of a house fire, and it's a valuable bit of information to add to the knowledge base.

Last night I stayed up until about 2am playing my Xbox, and after that I watched Netflix until I fell asleep. When I woke up at about 10:30, none of my outlets worked. I tried unplugging and replugging everything in, but that didn't work. Then I tried to cut on my light, and that worked. Also, everything else in the rest of my house works, and my room is the only room that won't work. We've tried resetting the breaker for my room, but that didn't work. Can you help?

By Justin E.

Best Answer

If it is not simply an issue of the breaker flipping off, and you said you have checked that, then it is time to call an electrician. Home electrical repairs should not be undertaken by people who don't know what they are doing. It could be some sort of problem that will cause a fire. Running a TV or an Xbox all night long should not cause any problems. These things are not big draws of electricity. If that is what caused the problem, you have defective machines or defective wiring.

Check your breakers?

Anonymous

yes. all normal position.

The four outlets in one room have stopped working. The related breaker did not trip. When I turn it off and on again, nothing happens. Should I replace the breaker?

By Paul from Campobello, SC

Answers:

Electrical Outlets Stopped Working

It could be your breaker is bad. That is an unusual thing to happen but not impossible. If you know how to replace the breaker yourself that would be the cheapest way to find out if it is the breaker.

If you don't know what you're doing and have never done it before, call a friend or relative that knows how or get an electrician.

Just to be safe. (12/04/2010)

By Suntydt

Electrical Outlets Stopped Working

Something else to consider. Is the circuit on a GFI ? There may be a ground fault outlet in that circuit. Is it on an outside wall ? Does it have a wall common with the garage? GFI outlets can be tested right at the outlet. They have a test button and a reset button on them. (12/05/2010)

By rygobus

Electrical Outlets Stopped Working

I agree with rygobus. I had this happen to me and it was a GFI outlet that was the culprit. That is the first thing I would check. I had outlets from several different rooms that were on the same circuit, I reset the GFI outlet and they all worked. If that doesn't work, get an electrician. Don't put yourself in harms way with electricity. (12/26/2010)

By sleepygrandma