Painting Chalkboard Strip on Plastic Cups

We are having a family get together soon. For the grown-ups, I wanted to try to paint a strip of chalk on plastic cups so everyone can write their name on the cup. I end up doing so many dishes over a weekend, it would be nice to have less to do. What do I prime the cup with and then can I paint a strip of chalkboard paint on top? Will it adhere? I wanted to use insulated plastic cups. Thanks.

By Sarah

Why not paper cups instead? The ones that hold about 3 oz. That's about all most people drink at one time anyway.

Instead of the chalk paint, put a container with permanent markers next to the stack of cups. Make a sign asking guests to write their name and decorate their own special cup. They won't want to part with it.

You could save yourself alot of time and expense by simply supplying a sharpie pen of a different color from the cups for people to use to write their names on. I am assuming you're going to be using disposable plastic cups that will be recycled. Sharpie pens work and adhere quite well on any surface and sometimes too well on surfaces you don't even want them to - LOL ;-)

Oh, one more thing! If you're talking about your regular plastic kitchen cups just place strips of painters masking tape (easier to remove than regular masking tape) around the cups. Have your guests write their name with the sharpie on the tape.

For re-usable plastic cups, just put a piece of Scotch "Magic Tape" on the cup You can write on it with a pen or sharpie. I usually fold a tab on the end of the tape so that it's easily removable. It doesn't have to be Scotch but it shouldn't be the shiny cellophane tape - that doesn't work so well. If you find that your writing smears, put a piece of tape over the ink!

A better bet is to use chalkboard vinyl which you can cut into any shape you want. It is self adhesive and used by crafters in cutting machines like a Cricut machine. Maybe you can find it at a craft store, but I've only seen it online.

Tall Glasses with black stripe of chalkboard painted on them. The glass centered inthe image has Kate written on it, a yellow striped straw in the glass and a piece of chalk laying in front.
Using Chalkboard Paint
Crafts AdviceAugust 2, 2011
Watering Lawn
Watering a Narrow Strip of Lawn
Reusing Keurig K-Cups
Reusing Keurig K-Cups
Dry Erase Markers on White Background
Removing Dry Erase Marker from a Chalk Board
Strip Quilting Ideas
Strip Quilting Ideas
🎉
🎄