Painting a Refrigerator With Chalkboard Paint

Category Painting
A can of black paint.
Painting a refrigerator with chalkboard paint makes a great place to write notes or draw whatever you like. This is a guide about painting a refrigerator with chalkboard paint.

I want to paint over the rust using the chalk board paint. Is that possible and how can I do it? I live in the tropics so the salty air does havoc to appliances.

Best Answer

There is actually appliance paint you can use for a refrigerator. However, if you really want to make it a chalkboard, Rust-Oleum makes a product called rust reformer, which you can spray on first to kind of halt the rust.

The steps to follow are: Use a fine sandpaper to remove loose rust and smooth the surface a bit; wipe with a lightly damp cloth or tack cloth, if you used a damp cloth let it dry completely. Spray on the rust reformer, let dry.

Rust-Oleum also makes the chalkboard paint; it comes in black, tintable (choose from about a dozen colors), and now also transparent, so you can use any color underneath, then paint it, and *poof* it's a chalkboard!

Have fun with it! Another option is to use the rust reformer all over, then mount a chalkboard with STRONG magnets. You can get really strong magnets at a home improvement store.

Source: I work in the paint department at a home improvement store!

I want to paint my fridge with chalkboard paint. Does anyone know what kind of primer I should use? The fridge being magnetic is not important to me.

By Tiye

Your fridge is not magnetic. Magnets stick to it because it is made of steel. I do not know what primer you would use, but you might be able to find that out at the store that sells chalkboard paint. I suspect what you have to do is to sand the surface of the fridge to get the paint to stick.

Personally, I would not paint my fridge at all, unless it is terribly scratched and quite unsightly. Also, you have to be sure that your fridge is not covered with a vinyl textured surface. Mine is, and I am pretty sure that there is no possible way to get paint to stick to that surface.

Anyway, painting your fridge will not affect the ability of magnets to stick to it. Chalkboard paint does not interfere with the magnetic force.

I agree with the former poster. You are setting your fridge up for rust problems, because it is metal. Look for a black board the size you want, glue magnets on it, and stick it on the fridge.