Fixing a Chalkboard That Can't Be Written On

Category Other

This is a guide about fixing a chalkboard that can't be written on. If you find that you can no longer write on your chalkboard, you can try cleaning it with Dawn. Here are some other tips to help recondition your chalkboard.

I have a chalkboard that seems to have a coating of some sort over it now and I can't write on it anymore. Is there something that would take care of this for me.

Lorie from Ontario, NY

Answers

By Michele (Guest Post)
Best Answer

I have heard that you can 'recondition' your chalkboard by doing this... take a piece of chalk and hold it lengthwise to the board and go all over the board with it...then wipe it off as usual with a eraser or dry paper towel. You might have to do this a couple of times. Hope this helps.

Best Answer

I actually went to lowes and bought chalkboard paint. It paints on smooth and when there is a problem, you can paint it over again and again. Also there is magnetic paint which you can prime on in several coats. it will make the board magnet and also chalk. I painted my kitchen table with the chalkboard paint and it was a big hit with my teenage daughter and her friends, also cool for putting those to do notes that always seemed to get overlooked. Hard to overlook large pink letters!

You tend to wear through quicker, but then I just get out the pint can and repaint.

Best Answer

rub chalkboard with "0000" (extra fine) steel wool.

By Dee (Guest Post)
Best Answer

Use Dawn Power Dissolver (it's for gunked up pans and such). Works like a charm! I just did my chalk board with it and it's beautiful and easy to write on now! You should be able to get it at any grocery store or Wal-mart.

Best Answer

This worked for me! Thank you so much. I bought a chalkboard with hooks from Lowes. It worked fine for a few weeks and then it just wouldn't let me write on it today. I put Dawn on a hot, wet rag and wiped it down then dried it. Works like a charm.