Restoring My Chalkboard?

I can no longer write on my chalkboard. I have used Dawn dish soap, tried using chalk, length wise all over it and nothing is helping. Anyone know something that might work?

You may have ruined the finish of the board. You could try making home made or buying a store bought lemon oil and cleaning it. If that doesn't work, you would probably be best served buying a chalkboard paint and refinishing it. I haven't purchased on in years so I hope they are better than when I tried this a few years ago. I think I used a Krylon spray and it had a gloppy texture and the chalk skipped. Maybe one of the other posters here has experience with better brands! Post back with an update!

This happens more often than you think, even older boards over time have this problem. Here is a trouble shooting link to restoring your board www.hunker.com/.../how-to-restore-a-chalkboard

There are several ways you can restore this chalkboard after using Dawn soap on it.

Add a few drops of lemon oil to a clean cloth. Now put this in a sealed plastic bag overnight. The next day uses this cloth to clean the chalkboard and get rid of the residue left by the soap.

If this does not seem to work for you and you are still not able to work on the chalkboard you can use 1/2 a cup of vinegar and warm water to clean the chalkboard and remove the soap residue from the board surface.

They also sell special cleaning cloths for a chalkboard that you should be able to buy at an art supply store. If you have some Endust at home you can try to use this to clean the chalkboard.

If nothing else seems to work or help out you may need to sand down the board and reapply the paint to the board in order to fix it. They do sell chalkboard paint that you can buy in some stores that will allow you to completely refinish your chalkboard.

I would suggest getting a can of chalk board spray paint to redo the worn chalkboard surface.

Home and Garden Repair OtherAugust 9, 2020
📓
😷
😎
🌻
🐛
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Restoring-My-Chalkboard.html