Painting Formica Counter Tops

Can I paint formica kitchen counter tops?

Leanne

Answers:

Painting Formica Counter Tops

Yes, you can paint formica countertops but it is quite a process. First you have to clean them exceptionally well with soap and water and then wipe down with alcohol. Then buy a GOOD latex primer such as Bin 123 or anything made by Zinser and apply. Once that is dry, then you may paint. It will take 2 coats probably. You can then do a faux finish if you would like. If you want it to look like granite, go to www.Victorialarsen.com and she has a granite stencil to use. Of course you will have to have many colors of paint to use it. Then after you have painted it, give it at least 3 coats of LATEX polyurethane. Make sure it is latex or it will yellow. Good luck! (01/03/2008)

By Elaine

Painting Formica Counter Tops

I have also seen painted formica counter top, my mother-in-law did this, she had to do this often, about every 1-2 years. The very best way is just to save up your money & have new counter tops installed. When formica is painted, it takes about a year & a half before they really look bad again, even worse then before they are painted. I'm sorry to sound so negative on the subject, but I have seen these refinished counter tops & they just look terrible after about 1-2 years. (01/04/2008)

By Cricket Girl

Painting Formica Counter Tops

I did it once in a bathroom at at previous house I lived in. The counter top was not very big but I lightly sanded it down and then painted. It still looked good when I moved; if I remember correct I think it was about a year or so later. (01/24/2008)

By TXBetty

Painting Formica Counter Tops

After reading the feedback on this site, I did a faux granite finish on my counter tops a couple weeks ago and I love how they turned out. I cleaned them well, and applied Zinser BIN primer and let it dry overnight. The next day I painted the counters with black craft paint from Hobby Lobby (2 large). Next, I applied five different colors using a sea sponge, letting each color dry an hour between: Golden brown, Safari taupe, light gray, Latte, and Earth brown. I then sponged black to tone down the countertops. The last step was applying three coats of MinWax Polyurethane clear gloss, sanding between coats. I did the whole project for about $45. (03/05/2008)

By BarbYo

RE: Painting Formica Counter Tops