Parakeet Behavior

I have a parakeet and when I take her out of her cage I watch her and she starts to move her beak like she is speaking, but no sound comes out. What is she doing? I have two other cockatiels and they do the same thing. What does it mean, what are they doing?

Jitterbug from Oneonta, AL

Answers:

Parakeet Behavior

From 15 yrs exp. caring for budgies, to me it seems like the bird is eating, like regurgitating from its crop. Sometimes they also do that when they're happy. It's a good sign, at any rate. They love you. (11/23/2005)

By gator10tx

Parakeet Behavior

It's a self comforting behavior, like rocking, done to relax and enjoy. As long as there's no gagging/neck contorting, it's a good thing. (11/23/2005)

By Doggy

Parakeet Behavior

That means they're just getting used to the area..it's not a bad thing. They're just feeling the air out. My bird is never in its cage and she only did that for the first couple of weeks. (12/12/2005)

By BirdLover

Parakeet Behavior

Parakeets are one of the best talking birds. They have tiny voices and speak very quickly. Talk to your bird and say phrases slowly. Maybe he'll learn and want to talk. My last one spoke and I gave him to a Spanish speaking family. He also learned to speak Spanish. (04/18/2006)

By valery

Parakeet Behavior

They need some grit in their diet. In nature they eat small rocks to digest. Basically, what is going on is they are trying to get the food to digest, so buying grit from your local pet shop and putting it into another food dish will help. (03/11/2007)

By Jen

Parakeet Behavior
Parakeet
Parakeet Losing Its Feathers
Parakeet
Understanding Parakeet Behavior
Parakeets sitting on a wood perch.
Determining the Gender of a Parakeet
Skunk
Understanding Skunk Behavior
🎄