Permanent Marker on Car Upholstery

We purchased a "new to us" car this past weekend and one of our foster kids accidentally marked the seats and the back of the seat with a permanent marker. (I did not know she had the markers). We have read a lot about getting permanent markers out of clothes the top runner appears to be hairspray. Which we are going to try. Does anyone have any other suggestions since we can't just throw it in the wash after treating it?

Thank you,
Heidi from Port Orchard, WA

Removing Permanent Marker

Goo gone has worked for me. (03/21/2007)

By Karen

Removing Permanent Marker

My daughter used a Sharpie to draw on the floor and desk. I immediately went to the Sharpie website and learned (common sense) to treat the stain asap. We used Windex on our laminate floors and walnut (my grandfather's) desk. Worked instantly! Thank you, Windex!! What a relief. (03/21/2007)

By Heather

Removing Permanent Marker

My little artist daughter "drew" on our beige carpet with black pemanent marker. My husband suggested wd-40. I sprayed it on and kept blotting with a clean, white cloth. It worked great. Be careful not to rub or it will spread the color around. I have also used Awesome, found at most dollar stores, to remove marker from wood furniture, and laminate floors. HTH. (03/22/2007)

By jmz2005

Removing Permanent Marker

I have gotten permanant marker stains off the wall using Mr. Clean magic scrubber. (03/22/2007)

By Angela

Permanent marker / microfiber

Thanks to all who posted on this topic. A blue sharpie marker fell on my tan microfiber couch and remained there for about an hour. I panicked and put SHOUT! stain remover on it, and proceded to scrub it with the attached brush, pour water on it... BAD MOVE; the stain expanded tremendously. Some tricks from this site that worked well
(and how I would approach it in the future):

1. Have a drink ... you've got plenty of time, but will need patience.

2. Obtain NAILPOLISH REMOVER (acetone or methyl acetate work equally well) If you can, purchase "POLISH OFF" or equivalent presoaked nail polish remover pads. Purchase DEEP WOODS OFF.

2b. STAY AWAY FROM VISCOUS SOLVENTS (SHOUT, PURELL) they may work well on walls , but will prolong your agony on microfiber. Also AVOID SCRUB BRUSHES.

3. Obtain more paper toweling than you think you will need (6rolls?)

5. Place a nailpolish remover pad on the stain and remove.

The ink should begin to loosen/dissolve. BLOT GENTLY with paper towel ONCE, move paper towel to a clean section, BLOT GENTLY AGAIN. Repeat these two procedures until your stain is out.

6. If you need to step it up, soak a paper towel in acetone (NailPolishRemover) and place it on the stain. BLOT dry with a single paper towel, repeat. Pulling gently on adjacent material to make the surface taut will help.

7. DEEP WOODS OFF works great for finishing touches. SATURATE area generously and BLOT with paper towels. At this point you should be able to RUB a little bit - in ONE direction toward the stain. Once the paper towel has absorbed the stain RESIST the urge to reuse it. ALWAYS turn to a clean area of the paper towel to avoid speading the ink.

8. If you need a break, stop working, get some fresh air and let the stuff dry. I was able to remove this stain in four sessions [20 min each] over 48hours.

WARNINGS: do not smoke while you are doing this -flammable***
open a window for ventilation****
Also, if you can unzip your cushion cover, i would suggest placing a towel, or plastic panel [maybe a smooth cutting board] to separate the microfiber from the underlying cushion and prevent re-staining the cover material while providing some tension to reduce wrinkles and creases.

GOOD LUCK and thanks again to previous posters.

By Matt

Removing Permanent Marker

I used a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser to remove permanment marker from my leather sofa. My 3 year old marks on everything. I tried a generic one but it didn't do the job. Good Luck! (04/15/2007)

By Vickie B.

Tip of a Sharpie marker at the end of a squiggly line on white background.
Removing Permanent Marker
Permanent Markers
Removing Permanent Marker From Vinyl and Linoleum Floor
A colorful wooden dresser.
Removing Permanent Marker from Wood Furniture
A Sharpie marker with its lid off.
Removing Permanent Ink (Sharpie) from Plastic
Man wiping car exterior with a cloth
Removing Permanent Marker from a Car