Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Pit Bull Breed Information and Photos

0 0EmailFollow
Pin It
Pit Bull

These popular guard dogs are a sturdy, medium sized pet and great companions for many people. This guide contains pit bull breed information and photos.

Here are questions related to Pit Bull Breed Information and Photos.

Question: Bodi (Pitbull)

Bodi (Pitbull)He weighs about 65-70 lbs, depending on how much I feed him. I'm wondering what other people's thoughts are on him or his breed? Would you say my male dog is a pure breed American Pitbull terrier?

Most Recent Answer

By Lizzyanny [9]03/31/2013

Bodi does look purebred to me. And very handsome. My only concerns about a staffordshire terrier would be to have a good look at his breeding. A popular breed is sometimes not carefully bred for personality traits. In fact some are carefully bred for problematic personality traits. If you do not know his breeding you need to watch for aggressive behavior with other dogs or children. They can be the best dogs ever, but because of careless breeding you need to be careful.

Question: Caring for a Pit Bull

I just got a 1 and a half year old red nose Pit Bull. What should I feed him? How many times?

By shico

Most Recent Answer

By yessy [5]11/28/2009

When I first got my 2 pits as puppies would fed them a cup of dry food for breakfast and lunch and 1 cup of dry mixed with a can of dog food for dinner. I found that their stool quality was way to mushy, so after a few month and now (a year later) I give them about a cup of dry in the morning and 2 cups in the evening. Try not too fed them too late, like humans they need enough time to digest. Once a week I will give them a can of wet food and if we have an extra piece of chicken her and there, I might give it to them. I use Nutra brand I get it from Petsmart about $40 for a big bag.

Question: Pitbull Odors

I have a 5 month old Pit Bull and her feet smell like corn chips. I tried putting powder on them, but that didn't work. She also has a fishy smell, the fish smell comes and goes before she has to go to the bathroom and after.

Katrina from Albany, NY

Most Recent Answer

By brittneylea18 AT yahoo.com (Guest Post)06/21/2008

OMG! It is so weird that I read this just 2 days ago. My boyfriend and I noticed our 6 month old pit bull puppy's feet smelled like fritos!

Solutions: Pit Bull Breed Information and Photos

Do you have knowledge about this guide topic? Feel free to share a solution!

Photos

Below are photos related to this guide.

Monster (Pit Bull)

I got my baby in October 2010. Monster is now 5 months old. My boyfriend's friend's Pit Bull had 10 puppies, and we took him off her hands. It was the best decision of my life. Monster (Pit Bull) Monster (Pit Bull)

He eats my slippers and follows me everywhere. Monster is my whole world. He always makes me smile. He is a hyper dog, yet knows when to relax. He loves to run around like crazy and eat slippers. He is the most friendly dog I have ever known.

By Erin

Jemma Bleue (Pit Bull)

Jemma Bleue is a 5 month old pit bull. We got her when she was 9 weeks old from a friend of my husband's. She's the typical puppy. She likes to bring sticks in the house and then chew them up, drag around things she shouldn't have, finds things I never knew we had, terrorize the cats and harass the older dogs!

She is the most loveable puppy. All she wants to do is curl up with you. She going to be a big girl (expected 80 pounds). We want to make her a therapy dog, just to prove to people that the pit bull breed isn't a bad breed. =)

By Michelle from Bakersfield, CA

Jemma Bleue the Bulldog Sitting in Grass

Roxy (Pitbull)

Roxy is a 3 year old Pitbull (more well behaved then any other dog I ever had). We got him in September 2007 from my husbands nephew who couldn't take care of her anymore. Roxy (Pitbull) Roxy (Pitbull)

She loves going for walks, she will go and grab her leash and sit by the door with it in her mouth and just wait. She also loves to play soccer with our kids (she usually cheats by popping the ball with her teeth). She listens better than the kids do, lol. She knows she is not aloud in the kitchen when someone is cooking or eating. She's not aloud to beg or stare at someone that is eating and she must go to bed until we get done.

If she wants a treat she will bring us her treat ball (blue ball with holes in it) and we will put 3 treats in it and tell her to go sit down. She sits in the same spot every time and when we tell her "back" she backs up and sits down again, that is when we say good girl and give her the treat ball. It is her job to try to get the treats out of the ball. She is very good at it now.

By Tami

Diesel (Bluenose Pit Bull)

Diesel is nine weeks old. He is a bluenose pit bull. We got him on Feb 12, 2011 from a breeder in Rochester, NH. We got to see both of his parents on site.

He is a loving, fun, sometimes crazy, little guy. He loves to fetch be outside or go anywhere we do. We are so happy to have him in our family, and look forward to many more puppies in our future.

By Kate

Diesel (Bluenose Pit Bull)

Tyson (Pitbull)

Tyson is a 1 year old Pitbull. We got him when he was a puppy, around Aug of 08. He likes to chew up things, run and play, play, play!

I didn't want anything to do with pits before Tyson. But he's a GREAT dog. Really changed my mind about pits. He looks mean, but he is the most loving, gentle dog. I love him!

By Tirzah from San Diego,CA

Tyson (Pitbull)

Belle (Pitbull)

Belle is a 2 1/2 year old Blue Brindle Pitbull. Someone my husband knew, left her locked in a cage all day and he didn't have time for her so we took her when she was 5 months old.

Belle loves to go on trips with us, whether it is to the park or on a road trip. She love going bye bye! Our dog is very smart. She listens very well and plays great with our kids. She is also very protective of our whole family. We love her and I am so glad she came into our life.

By jcollins6404 from Indianapolis, IN

Belle (Pitbull)

Gidget (Pit Bull)

We adopted Gidget in February. She is a 2 year old Pit Bull. I was searching the internet to help my mom find a new kitty friend. I came across Gidget's profile on a a rescue's website and fell in love. She is severely cross-eyed and needed a little extra love and patience. Our other dog Paige is so easy going and smart, so I felt that she would be a good companion for Gidget. Up close photo Gidget.

After meeting her, I knew we were the right family for her. Our lives will never be the same now that Gidget is in our home. She is sweet, goofy, smart, and cuddly. There is not another dog like her! In addition to being cross-eyed, she has hip dysplasia, a severe under bite that tends to cause her teeth to get stuck outside of her lips, and unbridled energy. Her vision impairment does not slow her down, although I wish it did sometimes because she has a tendency to run into things at full speed.

Gidget sleeping on top of Paige.

She snores extremely loudly and makes a noise when she is excited that can only be described as "a seagull in distress". :) She absolutely loves to wear sweaters and generally will not leave the porch when it is cold if she doesn't have one on. We have yet to find a toy that can withstand her chewing ability, not even the toughest "power chewer" toys can last more than a few days.

Gidget sleeping in the car.

She lived the first part of her life as a dog that no one wanted, but she has become a dog that is unconditionally loved! She is not just adored by us, Paige has a new best friend and the cats are so patient with her, even when she pounces an inch from their face in hopes of getting them to play.

By Laurel, Lewis, Aiden, and Avery from Port Orchard, WA

Dexter (Pitbull)

Dexter is a 1 year old Pitbull. We got Dexter when he was 6 weeks old, after I lost my black lab Candy. My husband got Dexter to help me with the pain of losing my Candy. He likes to run around at the park or house and playing with De De, his adopted Mom. He is loved by all who come to visit and wants to be by my side, he is my shadow. Truly a great companion.

By Maria

Dexter the dog running at the park.

Ronnie (Pit Bull Terrier)

Ronnie is a one month old pit bull terrier. I got him from a breeder. He chew on things and pees a lot - lol! He is the one with the white speck on his nose.

By Nena224

Woman holding three puppies.

Nala (Pit Bull)

Nala is a six year old Pit Bull. She got tangled out in the bushes in our front yard. We called the vet number on her collar and left our phone number, so that the owner could call us to come and get her, but they did not want her back. She was about one and a half years old at the time. So they took her papers (registered Pit Bull) and everything to our vet. We have had her ever since.

Nala loves to play with our grand kids and sit in our laps (she thinks she is a lap dog). She is a very loving dog. She meets us at the door everyday when we get home. We just love her. Oh, and she loves our cats. She will bathe them and they like to sleep together (1 Pit and 7 cats).

By Virginia G H.

Nala (Pit Bull)

Malcolm (Pit Bull)

This is Malcolm. We think he is 5 years old and a Pit Bull/Black Lab and Catahoula Leopard dog mix. In Nov 2005, I had to put my dog Springs down after a great 16 years with him. My husband and I were sad but we knew the time would come that we would add another dog to our lives.

In my teenage years, I would help rescue groups out with their dogs, holding them at adoption fairs. It was there I fell in love with the Pit Bull. I knew when Springs died, I wanted to rescue a Pit Bull.

In March 2006 I went looking on petfinder.com for a Pit Bull. It was there I saw Malcolm. We went to the local pound where Malcolm was and looked at him and the other dogs. My husband wanted another dog but the dog he wanted had a note saying his owner was going to pick him up the next day. We took Malcolm out and took him outside. We talked about it and it took us about 15 minutes and we adopted Malcolm.

We found out he was found in the woods a few months before and brought to the animal pound. He was up for adoption for months before we adopted him. We also found out he was going to be put down in a couple of days because no one wanted him because he was part pit bull.

He likes to play with his brother Casey. He really likes going to the vet and meeting new people there. He also like going for rides and going to the park. We want people to know that not all pit or pit bull mixes are mean. We go to the dog park and people leave once they find out Malcolm is part pit. We love our dogs no matter what kind they are. Both of our dogs are black dogs. We love them just the same

By Jennifer from Springfield, IL

Malcolm (Pit Bull)

Bobby (Pitbull)

Bobby a Pitbull sun bathing Bobby is a 12 year old Pitbull. I have to confess that while Bobby is always in my thoughts, she never was my dog. She belongs to my former father-in-law down in Coos Bay, OR. I lived with he and his wife for five months in 2010, caring for them and Bobby, the best guard dog alive. That is, if she doesn't know you. If she does, she is the biggest "belly rubbing" dog on the planet. Close up of Bobby a Pitbull

Her love and exuberance made some pretty dark days a bit brighter. Bobby loves to chase things. There are many little critters who know they can hide in the brambles behind the house. They get her out there, run underneath, then pop their cocky little heads up as if to say "You are not even close to warm!"

She loves to cuddle, sleep at your feet and claim "her chair" when the day is done (or there's a game on tv). No, she is not a sports fan, but she does know when daddy is done and sitting in one spot, mostly eating things she knows he will 'accidentally' drop. Only that when I left, the worse thing about not seeing her every day was her thinking I had just left. I miss her but am thankful I had her in my life. She was truly my baby for a while, and will be in my heart forever. Bobby (Pitbull)

By Sandi Allen from Salem, OR

Damu (Pit Bull)

Damu is a year old red nose pit bull. My fiance bought her for me for our first Valentine's day! She loves to play in the snow, and play tug of war. She is a great dog, and a big baby. She and my daughter are best friends.

People say pit bulls are aggressive and mean, but the only way Damu will kill you is with kisses!

By pk

Damu (Pit Bull)

Domino (Pit Bull)

Domino is a 1 year old chocolate red nose pit bull. I have had him since he was 2 months old, from a friend. He loves to run, swim, and play tug of war. He is not just a pet, he is a beloved member of the family.

By Robin

Domino (Pit Bull)

Dizzy (Blue Pit Bull)

Dizzy is a 4 month old Blue Pit Bull. I got Dizzy from a certified breeder. Dizzy likes to chew on my toes.

By Ellie

Dizzy (Blue Pit Bull)

Walter Leonidas Raphael (Pit Bull Terrier)

Walter Leonidas Raphael is a 1 year old Pit bull Terrier. We adopted him from a pet rescuer for Christmas. He loves to chase squirrels. Walter is good with children and very protective. He loves to sun bathe in the backyard.

By Gina

Belle Button (Pit Bull)

Belle Button is a 4 year old Pit Bull. I got Belle as a rescue at 4 weeks old from a raid at a house that bred dogs for fighting.

She likes to play with tennis balls, stuffed toys, squeakers, and go swimming. She is the smartest dog I have ever owned. She learns really fast and is very obedient.

By Elizabeth from Collinsville, IL

Belle Button (Pit Bull)

Gypsy (Pitbull Terrier)

Gypsy is 1.5 years old. She is an American Pitbull Terrier. I got her at 7 months old, from a breeder, she wasn't doing well in kennel life, and the breeder wanted her to have a home where she could be with a family as a pet.

She likes to cuddle, play dress up with my daughters, bark at everything, and go on long walks with "Dad." She is the best pitty girl ever, with the sweetest personality.

By dare2bme71 from Lynchburg, VA

Splotchy (Pitbull)

Pit in field of yellow flowers

Your Pet's Age
6 yrs

Your Pet's Breed
Pitbull

How and when did you get your pet?
We brought Splotchy home from her 2nd rescue about a year ago.

What does your pet like to do for fun?
For fun, she likes to ride in the car! Unless she has a chance to give kisses.

Do you have anything else to share about your pet?
We absolutely love this girl. It's true--she rescued us!

By

Bella (Red Nose Pit Bull)

Bella is a 6 month old Red Nose Pit Bull. I rescued her from a backyard breeder back in August 2009. She likes to play with me and her toys, she loves to play with other dogs as well. Bella loves kids. She is very friendly and is taking to training very well.

By Annie from Killeen, TX

Bella (Red Nose Pit Bull)

Sugar (Pitbull)

Why no one came looking for her, I'll never understand.. She sat on Death Row awaiting the Rainbow Bridge; scared, misunderstood, alone, and heart broken. She was saved by a rescue group, I was only her ride to her new foster home. Being late, I decided she'd camp out in my bed for the night.

We get up in the morning and she kisses me and my bf, goes down stairs and eats with my dogs (first meeting) and licks my 5 year old as if he was her best friend. Little did i know, he was! We adopted her after her being in foster care for 2 hours. I couldn't stop thinking about her sweetness and loyalty that dumbfounded me as she fit perfectly into my life.

She has never been anything but sweet and gentle to everyone and everything. Visitors come by and her tail never stops. She never runs out of kisses for them. I bring her places and she's sooo happy to meet people, THEN as she realises people fear and avoid her, her head falls and her heart breaks all over again. She's a pitbull. Her chubby cheeks and perky ears are all that people see. They ignore her tail and entire back end wagging as they cross the street and break her heart.

Pit bulls are naturally loving dogs, yes they are used for fighting by terrible people who force them to be mean. Everyone knows it and hears about it. What people don't talk about is how many pitbulls are chewed to bits and killed because they refuse to fight so the people just let the fighters kill them. Please next time you see a pit bull wagging its tail asking you to pet him/her, don't avoid it. Ask the owner and please judge the dog for who it is and not the stereotype.

I have her, a Sharpei (also a fighting breed), and a Saint Bernard. I can let anyone into my house at anytime and never worry about how my dogs will act, AFTER I put the Saint Bernard away. Judge the dog, not the breed! I love my pitbull!

By Carebare from Houghton County, MI

Three dogs and a boy, including Sugar (Pitbull)

Mallory (Pit Bull)

This is my dog Mallory. She is a 2 years old Pit Bull. My fiance got her for me, and she's practically one of my children.

I have spoiled her a lot. When I was pregnant with my son, Mallory would lay her head on my stomach, curl up, and sleep. She and my son are the best of friends now. She likes to chew ropes and wrestle.

By Kerissia F.

Mallory (Pit Bull)

Sheba (Pitbull)

Sheba is 3 years old. She is a full Pitbull. We got her when she was 6 months old. She likes to run, run, run and to play in water. We love her very much, she's a friendly dog.

By Shareka from Durham, NC

Splotchy (Pit Bull)

Splotchy (Pit Bull)

Your Pet's Age
4 yrs

Your Pet's Breed
Pit Bull

How and when did you get your pet?
We adopted Splotchy about 6 month ago. She was in her second shelter.

What does your pet like to do for fun?
She likes to go for walks, but her favorite thing is to be held. She seems to think she is a lap dog.

I would hope everyone would give Pits a chance. Ours is the most lovable, gentle dog I have ever seen!

By

Marley and Damian (Pitbull Terriers)

Marley and Damian. (Damian Marley, Bob Marley's Son.) They are Sisters both one year old Purebred Pit Bull Terriers. I got them when they were 3 months old, I saw an ad on CL for pit bull puppies, and decided they'd be a perfect match for me and my other dogs. I grabbed Marley first but she was very depressed for a long time, so I contacted the former owners, and they had ONE left, Damian. They like to bark, eat, play, run with the horses, bark, poop. Both wonderful, loving dogs, great family pets, smart, and always ready to go. I love this breed, and plan to own more throughout my life.

By Kittie from Medical Lake, WA

Marley and Damian (Pitbull Terriers)

Rico (Red Nose Pit Bull)

Rico is a 13 month old Red Nose Pit Bull. I rescued him from a backyard breeder a little over a year ago. He likes to play fetch and wrestle. He is a very loving dog and very loyal and obedient.

By Justin from Killeen, TX

Rico (Red Nose Pit Bull)

Deabla (Pit Bull)

Deabla is a 5 1/2 year old full pit bull, that we got 4 1/2 years ago. She likes to play tug a war, she likes to play in the water and play with our other 3 pit bulls. She loves kids and is a good and loving dog.

By Kortni from Barnesville, MN

Deabla (Pit Bull)

Little Ben (Pit Bull Terrier)

Closeup.

Your Pet's Age
9 weeks

Your Pet's Breed
Pitbull Terrier

How and when did you get your pet?
We got Ben 2 weeks ago. He was so sad to leave his mom, brothers, and sisters, but he's settling in well!

What does your pet like to do for fun?
Ben is growing so fast that he spends most of his day sleeping, eating, or playing.

Ben sleeping on bed.

By

Rein (Pitbull Terrier)

Rein (Pitbull Terrier)

Your Pet's Age
4

Your Pet's Breed
Pitbull Terrier

How and when did you get your pet?
Rein is adopted from the Humane Society.

What does your pet like to do for fun?
Rein LOVES to swim, chase balls, and snuggle. He also loveeees car rides!

By

Otis (Pit Bull)

Otis is a 12 week old pit bull. I bought Otis on Dec. 4, 2008, from a couple I work with. I was a supportive friend from conception to birth. Naturally, I wanted one of the puppies. My baby boy looks just like his father, Otis Sr. He loves to play, snuggle and give kisses.

By Laura from Egypt, AR

Otis (Pit Bull)

Hutch (Pit Bull)

Hutch lying upside down, closeup of face.

Your Pet's Age
4 years

Your Pet's Breed
Pit Bull

How and when did you get your pet?
We got Hutch at a no kill shelter, his mom had her pups there. We picked him because he was very inquisitive, and just a happy little guy. He was 10 weeks or so when he came home with us. We called him Hutch because we came home on the Hutchinson Parkway and it just seemed to fit him.

What does your pet like to do for fun?
What doesn't he like to do? He will pick up anything near him and want to play with it, be it a bone, a sock, or a piece of paper. He loves and plays with Coco our 8 year old Pit. He loves running crazy on our 4 acres and lying in the brook on a hot sunny day.

He talks to us all the time, and he is just a very happy dog. He loves everyone and other animals, too.

Hutch in the stream.

By

Dirty (Pitbull)

Dirty is 6 years old and is a pitbull. We bought him 2 months ago.

He likes to play tug of war with my two sons.

He is the sweetest dog, my sister-in-law is scared of dogs and she came to our house one night while we were watching movies. Dirty snuck up to her and just lays his head in her lap and looked up at her as if he was saying "I won't hurt you". She is no longer scared of him.

By Susan from Morristown, TN

Dirty (Pitbull)

Gracie's Roadtrip (Pitbull)

Gracie is a 1 year old Pitbull. She was gotten from the local animal shelter. She loves to run and play and tear up her stuffed animals and other toys!

In this particular picture, Gracie was on the way home from her first long road trip. She was a little tired, can you tell?

By Robin from Washington, IA

Editor's Note: Here is a previous picture of Gracie

Gracie's Roadtrip (Pitbull)

Genger Hall (Pitbull)

My baby girl's name is Genger. She is three months old and is a pitbull. My brother raises pitbulls and my son wanted one so my brother brought her and a couple of others over. She chose us and we chose her. She was 6 weeks old. Miss Genger loves to go outside and go to shopping.

By Trinity Hall

Genger Hall (Pitbull)