Potty Training a Puppy

Think of your puppy as you would a baby or toddler that you're trying to potty train and you won't go far wrong. Remember to always praise your puppy for doing his business outside and reward him with lots of attention and tickles. As soon as your puppy wakes up, the first thing he'll want to do is wee so take him outside and talk to him as you're doing so. Tell him what he's going outside for i.e. 'Outside for peepees'. Remember to talk in a higher pitch voice than usual, just as you would talk to a toddler. When he's done his business, again praise in a high pitch voice and reward with lots of attention.

It should on average take you about a week to train your puppy that he needs to go outside when he feels the need to relieve himself in order to get rewards. On the odd occasion that your puppy has an accident and does his business on your carpet, don't scream and shout as he won't understand what's going on. Instead, show him what he's done wrong and in a low pitch voice tell him no or bad or naughty. Ignore him for a while so that he knows he'll not get rewards for doing it indoors.

Dogs always respond much better to praise and rewards than they will hysterics and shouting so please make yourself aware of the tone of your voice when training your dog. If you take the time and effort in the early days you'll be rewarded over many years with a happy, healthy, loving loyal companion.

By JeanieMagic from South Wales, UK

Potty Training a Puppy

What worked for me: I have 3 dogs already housebroken. When I got Coco in April 2005 I kind of had problems. I wish I would have thought of this years ago but, I put in a dog door. I no longer had to get up in the middle of the night and let 1 or 2 dogs out , I no longer lost sleep. Coco learned within a few weeks and followed everybody out and did her thing. I HIGHLY recommend dog doors. Enclosed is a picture of my brood.
Penny (06/13/2006)

By maggie3956

RE: Potty Training a Puppy

House Training a Puppy, Photo of a labrador retriever puppy.
House Training a Puppy
House Training a Pit Bull
House Training a Pit Bull Puppy
Boxer puppy chewing on a plastic bone.
Training a Boxer Puppy
A child's feet sitting on a toilet during potty training.
Potty Training Your Child
Pit Bull Puppy
Training a Pit Bull Puppy