Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Preventing Ice and Snow Buildup on Wipers

How can I prevent ice and snow build up on wipers while driving? It is a pain when you are driving and you have to pull over to knock off the ice and snow all the time. And yes I do try the windshield washer fluid, but it doesn't seem to help much. Thanks.

By Dieter

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By Frugal Sunnie [11]11/27/2013

You may need new wipers - look for ones to fit your vehicle that claim to reduce ice/slush build up.

Also consider changing your window screen fluid to one rated for the winters in your area - this really makes a difference. Winter rated windscreen wash typically contains a special blend of anti-fog+anti-ice chemical (NOT the antifreeze you would use in the cooling system, btw).

Another tip is to 'sharpen' your wiper blades once a week by using a fine grit piece of sandpaper - fold a 6x6" square of the paper and run the blade through the fold several times applying pressure to both sides of the fold with your fingers.

I've lived and owned motor vehicles in Alaska, New England, NorthWest Georgia (USA), and in Scotland - areas with harsh winters. Using the tips I noted above kept my windscreens free and wiper blade clean no matter the weather.