Preventing Ice and Snow Buildup on Wipers

How can I prevent ice and snow build up on wipers while driving? It is a pain when you are driving and you have to pull over to knock off the ice and snow all the time. And yes I do try the windshield washer fluid, but it doesn't seem to help much. Thanks.

By Dieter

Answers

You may need new wipers - look for ones to fit your vehicle that claim to reduce ice/slush build up.

Also consider changing your window screen fluid to one rated for the winters in your area - this really makes a difference. Winter rated windscreen wash typically contains a special blend of anti-fog+anti-ice chemical (NOT the antifreeze you would use in the cooling system, btw).

Another tip is to 'sharpen' your wiper blades once a week by using a fine grit piece of sandpaper - fold a 6x6" square of the paper and run the blade through the fold several times applying pressure to both sides of the fold with your fingers.

I've lived and owned motor vehicles in Alaska, New England, NorthWest Georgia (USA), and in Scotland - areas with harsh winters. Using the tips I noted above kept my windscreens free and wiper blade clean no matter the weather.

Answer

Man Putting Chains on His Car in the Snow
Winter Driving
Consumer Advice Cars Winter DrivingNovember 25, 2013
Keeping Your Windshield Free of Snow and Ice, Man Cleaning Snow and Ice off of Windshield
Keeping Your Windshield Free of Snow and Ice
Pink and red daisies in a clear glass vase.
Cleaning Buildup Inside a Vase
Furniture polish being sprayed on wood furniture.
Removing Furniture Polish Build Up from Wood Furniture
Snow Ice Cream
Snow Ice Cream Recipes
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 31, 2016 at 8:50:11 PM on 10.0.0.234 in 369 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.