Protecting My Dog From Ticks

I have been using Advantix on my little puppy and haven't had any problem with fleas, but I can't say the same about ticks. She got one only 3 days after the application and then I started keeping her indoors and 2 weeks later she got another tick - while inside. Any advice on protecting the puppy and/or ridding the yard of ticks?

Kelly from San Antonio, TX

Answers:

Protecting My Dog From Ticks

I have had great results from a natural product called diatomaceous earth. It's crushed fossilized sea life - when the ticks and other bugs crawl over it, their outer shells are sliced and they die. It's a fine powder much like baby powder and can be dusted on animals, dusted in the yard, and can even be fed to animals to kill intestinal parasites. We order ours from our local co-op. Just look up some info online and/or ask at your co-op. It's a fascinating product with no toxins! Safe for you and your pet. I hope this helps. Good Luck! (05/05/2006)

By Reba

Protecting My Dog From Ticks

We've used a product called Natural Chemistry De Flea Pet Shampoo. It's safe on all age of cats, kittens, dogs, and puppies. It's also safe for nursing and pregnant animals. (05/06/2006)

By halloweenfreak

Protecting My Dog From Ticks

Oops forgot to mention, it works on ticks and lice too. (05/06/2006)

By halloweenfreak

Protecting My Dog From Ticks

Wow, I can't imagine anything "slicing the outer shells" of a flea or tick. I know eggshells and other sharp edges will slice slugs and soft skinned "critters", but ticks? Glad they don't have them in Alaska, they're too gross!

The only thing that I'm aware of that really worked in getting rid of fleas and ticks was to keep tall grass/weeds cut back, and pine needles or tree leaves raked up and removed from the yard. The worst infestation I saw was in Louisiana when a friend had raked pine needles over her flower beds to protect them during the winter. Apparently the bugs were drawn to the spots where they also spent a nice dry, warm winter season.

(05/08/2006)

By Thissie

Protecting My Dog From Ticks

I wouldn't use a chemical on an adult dog much less a puppy. I think you've been advised badly. The diatomaceous earth is the way to go. I use it too. It dries up the insects. I put it around the yard for ants and around the perimeter of my house for all bugs. It's natural, but don't let the dog sniff it anyway. If you had a really bad flea problem I might see using a chemical on them briefly, but I haven't had a flea problem for at least 10 yrs. It's not a given that they'll get fleas. (05/09/2006)

By Vic

Protecting My Dog From Ticks

Try Frontline! I've not had ticks on my dogs since starting to use it. Check with your vet, although you can get it from some pet stores now. (05/09/2006)

By djp

Protecting My Dog From Ticks

Scott's has treatment that can be put on your lawn for fleas and ticks. We use Frontline on our dog. It seems to work well. We live in a very wooded area. Gary (04/06/2008)

By Gary

hands spreading dogs fur so a tick can be seen
Protecting Your Dog from Ticks
Grapes growing under a net to protect them from the birds.
Protecting Grapes from Birds
Tick Removal
Removing a Tick
A beautiful horse.
Preventing Ticks on Horses
Tick on Skin
Getting Rid of Ticks
🎄