Protecting a Jigsaw Puzzle

We just assembled a 9000 piece puzzle (140x190cm) and are wondering how to protect it. We put it into 4 pieces and will glue it on a foamboard (Alufix) and frame it. I would prefer not putting on protective glass because of its weight. I was thinking of some sort of liquid plastification. Does anyone have experience with something like this?

By Igor S

To celebrate the new year we are giving away $200 in Amazon gift cards for people who answer questions on ThriftyFun in January! Click here to find out more...

Mod Podge! It's an all-in-one glue, sealer and finish with easy clean-up! I've used it for puzzles, sealing pictures on wood, etc. Available at Walmart, Michaels, and Jo Ann's.

I have tried Mod Podge & you can see where glue has been applied. I have used Ravensberger glue & after 4 coats it still hadn't glued the puzzles properly. I was not happy with either (expensive) result. I was REALLY happy with just spraying a clear lacquer over a puzzle I did almost 20yrs ago & still looks good (2 coats) this would work perfectly since you are sticking it to the foam backing. Good Luck. What is the picture of, by the way?

I agree that Mod-podge is the product to use. Go to a local craft store or even a dollar store; they will likely have this product. Some craft stores sell a product for preserving puzzles, that is likely the same as Mod-podge, but under a different name. Just ask at those sorts of stores.

Wow, 9000 pieces! That is really an accomplishment! My mother seals all her puzzles with Mod Podge to save them. She then mounts them to a thin sheet of paneling or plywood which my father custom cuts for her (she does "shaped" puzzles). I don't know how a puzzle would turn out that isn't mounted on a board or something to keep it flat. The Mod Podge makes an attractive finish and her puzzles have looked great for many years.

Jigsaw Puzzle Tips
Jigsaw Puzzle Tips and Tricks
Entertainment GamesJanuary 20, 2015
A woman working on a puzzle.
Making a Jigsaw Puzzle Mat
jigsaw puzzle
Making a Puzzle Storage Board
Making a Puzzle Board
Making a Puzzle Board
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 15, 2017 at 1:57:54 PM on 10.0.1.73 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.