Puppy Poops in Crate

Knowing what to do to help teach your puppy not to poop in his crate can be difficult. You have seemingly tried everything and still have the problem. This is a guide about puppy poops in crate.

December 8, 2015 Flag

Our 5 month old German Shepherd is pooping in her cage. She is let out every 4 hours and still always poops in her cage. I feed her at 7 am, she poops at 8ish and I leave for work at 8:30. A walker comes at 12:30. She walks her and all is good. After that she is put back in the cage until 3. She sometimes poops and if she doesn't poop in that time she does from 5-7. Three months ago she was not doing this at all. What do I do?

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

He's too young to leave in a cage for a long period of time without being let outside. How many hours do you leave him in there?

What brand of food are you feeding her and how much? What does she currently weigh?

Also- can you tell me if you ever crate her when you're home?

November 15, 2010 Flag

I have a miniature Chihuahua that was found abandoned in a neighbor's apartment. When I first got her, I got her a large dog carrier for her to use as her "house". At night I would lock her in it so that she would not mess on my floors or furniture. If she used the bathroom in the carrier she would wait for it to harden then push it out of the carrier.

Now for the past few weeks she is using it in her bed, on her blankets, and everywhere. She used to whine when she needed to go out and that has stopped as well. What can I do?

By Angelia2010 from Atlanta, GA

I currently wake up my yorkie and chi at 11:30pm and take them all outside. I then take them out at 6-6:30. they say, for each month in age is an hour they can hold themselves. Also, when they were that age, prior to going in the crate no matter the time, I had outside time for 5-10 min. I would "chase" to get them to run, whereby they would eliminate, or I would do a brisk 10 minute walk to move their bowels. Then in the crate. The exercise makes them go. Small sip of water, then into the crate. I love How to Housebreak Your Dog in 7 Days by Shirlee Kalstone. It even has schedules. Exercise is the key. Good luck.

I own a 9-year-old Shiba, and she did the same thing when she was a puppy. She would poop and howl like I was beating the living daylights out of her! She was so loud for a little fur ball that fit in the palm of your hand. I thought for sure the neighbors were hearing everything. I found the uproar was over her being separated from me. Remember now, your dog has previously been abandoned, so she is scared. I moved my pup in her crate next to my bed but that did not work out either. In the end (smart dog), I put her in bed with me and that was the end of the nightmare scenario. Also at this stage you have to get her in a "poopin and pp" schedule and do this routinely.

My Shiba is not vocal. She won't tell me when she needs to go, so I got in the habit of taking her out every hour when she was a pup and even today definitely first thing in the morning upon rising and the last thing at night before hitting the hay. You must do this or you will continue to have problems and you must go outside with them even at 2 am, 3 am, for 6 weeks. Which is the amount of time it takes them to learn the routine. Once they are on that schedule and maturing, you will take them out less frequently. Best wishes!

Cut a cardboard box low to share some space in the crate. Put a pee pad in there. Try feeding her in there and leave her for about 10 min. If she uses the pad reward her with lots of loving.

April 29, 2015 Flag

I have a 17 week old puppy. We have tried crate training her. She is potty trained, and always lets us know when she needs to go outside. However when my husband and I go to work we leave her in the crate. Every time she is locked up she poops and gets all dirty, no matter what.

In the morning we will take her out for a 30 min. walk, she does poop outside, and once we put her in the crate she'll poop again. We put her space down to only where she can turn around and lay down, it doesn't do anything. We feed her once a day, 2 cups of food, and not after 7. Before we go to bed she goes poop outside. We stopped crate training her at night bcuz she won't stop barking. The people above us have a 1 year old so we try not to be too loud. When she sleeps in our room she doesn't go potty at all.

We got her to stop for a week and now she's back doing it. We don't give her any toys, bones, blankets, treats, or water. It's just her.

Today I had a friend watch her bcuz I had to work 24 hours, and she pooped, huge amounts, 9 times within 12 hours. She did it every time she was put in the cage. I ended up having to take her home becuz she wont stop.
I don't know what to do with her.

It is clear that your dog does not know that you expect her not to "dirty" her crate/home. It also appears your dog does not like the crate and may be showing her dislike by her messes in the crate.

I strongly suggest you take her to your vet for a medical check to be certain she has no medical problems. You should also discuss your problems in changing her behavior with the crate. You vet can suggest possible changes, formal dog training and other assistance. Keep in mind that each dog is different and you should not expect her to behave specifically to your requirements just because she is a specific breed, size, etc.

You stated that you "do not know what to do with her" as the ending to your story. Perhaps you should consider returning her to the place you bought her as she is not meeting whatever your requirements are for a dog.

You said you had to work 24 hours today. How often does this happen? Do you frequently have to work long hours? Is your schedule somewhat erratic?

You also say your husband works. Does he often work at the same time you do? What happens to the puppy during this time?

Here's your problem: A seventeen week old puppy is a baby. You are two working people raising a baby.

That baby is scared. She doesn't know who is going to be home when, if her needs are going to be met, or who will be watching her. She does know she is going to be shoved in the crate and as far as she is concerned she spends way too much time in the crate.

I'm not the person who gets to make the rules, but a four month old puppy is the equivalent to a human infant. I believe a puppy should never be left alone during this time. I believe a puppy should not be put in a crate with the door shut except for the purpose of crate training at night when everyone else is asleep. If she barks at night, it's because she's become afraid of being left alone. She's insecure.

Now you've got her in the crate without so much as something to chew on to relieve the anxiety or a blanket to comfort her. And she's a only a baby.

Please reconsider having a dog at this time.

Here is my two cents. I have a 5 month old puppy. She is a tough one to crate train. She doing okay but not as easy as the last dog we had . First of all, how large is this puppy? My dog is about 9 lbs and she gets 1/2 C. of food two times a day. Two cups of food a day seems like a crazy amount of food for a puppy. When we first got her she would poop at least 8 or 9 times a day. No kidding. There was nothing wrong with her, that was just what she did. She was a poop factory.

She is now 5 mos. old and you can guarantee she will poop at least 4 x a day. Upon waking.. 8:30 am... 3:30 a.m. after I get home and she comes out of her crate, and before bed. I remember being super frustrated as we would take her out , she would go, and we would bring her in for free time and a half hour later she would go poop on the rug again. It was crazy. She has a routine now. Dogs need a routine.

As far as the pooping in the crate goes, mine doesn't do that. She must really have to go if she is doing that. I assume she was to the vet and had shots and was checked for worms, etc.? Back when my dog was doing all the poop she had tape worms. I would make sure she doesn't have that. If you are so busy that you can't put this pup on a regular schedule I would say find a responsible family on Rescueme. org .

We all work and are home at different times so my dog isn't alone too awful long. Also, what brand of food are you feeding this pup? If you dog food is full of fillers and grains, you dog will poop much more. I feed Wellness for puppy. Eventually your dog will work like a clock. Food in = food OUT. Keep the dog leashed while eating, scoot them right out the back door. It's rough to potty train. Usually after playing in the house or running around it's poop time.

My pup will now sit and give me this look and I know it's time to go out. I know it's frustrating but if you don't have the time to devote to this, you may want to find it another home. Not being smart, just being honest. It's not an easy job. The pup is too small to be taken somewhere else and watched, etc... it needs to be home and on a strict routine.

December 15, 2015 Flag

Our baby Pug/Cocker mix, named Pucker, is 6 months old and she sleeps on our bed every night with our other dog, a 5 year old Pug. No problems at all, she loves sleeping on the bed. When we go out to dinner or to run an errand, we leave her in her crate. She was crate trained before we let her sleep on the bed. Our excursions last maybe 2 1/2 hours tops. So she's not in that crate very long. The last few weeks, every time we come home, she's pooped in the crate...no peeing just pooping.

The only reason we leave her in the crate is because, even though we've been vigilant in potty training, and she's doing very well, we are still worried about accidents. Also, she loves to terrorize our Pug, so we want to give her some peace. We don't know why she's doing this now and not before. Is it just the fact that she hates the crate and she's trying to tell us something?

I suggest taking Pucker to your vet now to determine if she has a medical problem that would cause your problems. After any medical problem is ruled out or treated, your vet can also make recommendations to improve Pucker's behavior.

How large is the crate?

Is your dog too large now for his crate?

Do you also crate your other dog at the same time when you leave? Perhaps Pucker is upset that he is crated and the Pug is not?

Pucker needs behavioral training to stop his aggression to the Pug.

You do need to crate both or none.

If you only crate your dog when you leave, the pup will see it as a punishment. You need to also crate her while you're there as well. Choose a time when the pups should be napping.

I agree that you should not be allowing one dog to "terrorize" another.

If you don't discipline the dog and allow her to do stuff she shouldn't because she is little and cute, she will behave badly when asked to do something you want her to do, like stay in the crate. Start her on her training.

July 22, 2015 Flag

We have a 13wk old terrier mix that has been with us for about a week and a half. We're in the process of housebreaking and crate training her, and she's still learning. Our daily schedule is wake up at 5:30 to take her out, then in for breakfast. We take her out again before we leave for work at 7:15, making sure she's peed and pooped at least once in the morning. She's in the crate until my wife gets home around 3:00, and during this time she has pooped in her crate, and somehow spread it in a splatter pattern outside the crate (very little left inside). We don't know if she jumps on it or what, but it's over a foot out from the crate in any direction. We clean the crate and wash her and she's out for the afternoon. No food until dinner time around 6pm, and no food after 8pm. We take her out again before bed (9:30-10pm) and she's fine in the crate overnight.

She's pooped in her crate during the daytime for several days in a row now. The crate has a divider to make it appropriately sized for her, but since she spreads it outside, she effectively removes it from her area so it doesn't bother her. She does it whether we have a towel in the crate for bedding or not. We're not able to leave work during the day to come home and let her out. Any suggestions?

Have you taken her to your vet for an initial exam to be sure she does not have any medical problems? We once had a black lab that could not hold for more than about 4 hours, no matter what we tried. The vet took an xray for possible blockage, however, it appeared that she had a shorter or thinner colon (I was only 10 at the time so this is all I remember) which affected her defecation. We loved her and just made changes where needed.

The vet can also provide suggestions to help you help your terrier.

Some dogs simply can't wait 8 hours. You may have to find someone in your neighborhood who can take the dog out at the halfway mark.

I don't feel young puppies should be left alone for that amount of time, anyway. Puppies are a lot like children. They are social and interactive. You wouldn't leave a child home alone for eight hours in a little cage. Assuming you also put him in there at night, that is a heck of a lot of time to spend in a crate.

Puppies that feel abandoned can quickly learn to hate their crate which will quickly undo any training you're trying to achieve.

While I think your schedule may work for a mature dog, I think it may be too long in the crate for a puppy. 6 to 8 hours is more than many puppies can do.

December 17, 2008 Flag

My Staffy poops in her cage. My puppy is 15 weeks old and is being trained via a cage. The cage is a large one and I'm wondering if it's too big. She was doing really well pooping and peeing outside. But then, last week she had her injection (because previous owners hadn't vaccinated her) and her vet check. We were told she was slightly thin. We upped her food and since then she has gone backwards and she's pooping in her cage now. Please help us as we are unsure of to what to do.

Michelle from Bristol

When potty training a puppy, they usually put the puppy in a small cage that is like a carrying cage just big enough for sleeping and them take them out each our to see if they will poop and pee and praise them. After some play time they go back in the cage...usually doesn't take long because they will not want to go on the bed. The cage that you have the pup in is way to big because it has room to play, sleep and poop. If you are using the cage for training...it is too big. If you are not it is too small:)

I've heard of "crate training" that's for sure. I've raised 4 dogs with no crate (cage). My breeder told me to get one and train my latest puppy to pee in it, makes no sense. I've never crate trained a dog. I never will but each to their own and a lot of people crate train to save their furniture from being chewed while at work. Also keeps the pup safe from wires and such. I don't know what the right answer is for this. Wow. If the pup is in it for great lengths of time alone while you are working or away from your house then yes, it will pee and poop there. Otherwise, when you are home, leave the door open so the pup can come and go and train it to go outside. Pups catch on quite fast for the most part.

Well I'm new. LOL. I should learn to read dates on the posts before posting. lmao

Load More
Pets Dogs House TrainingJune 29, 2013
An adult dog in a crate.
Crate Training an Adult Dog
puppy in crate
Puppy Pees in Crate
Dog Crate
Making a Dog Crate Cover
Crate Training a Puppy, Young Papillon in a crate.
Crate Training a Puppy