Puppy Poops in Crate

Knowing what to do to help teach your puppy not to poop in his crate can be difficult. You have seemingly tried everything and still have the problem. This is a guide about puppy poops in crate.

Puppy in Crate
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

December 8, 2015 Flag

Our 5 month old German Shepherd is pooping in her cage. She is let out every 4 hours and still always poops in her cage. I feed her at 7 am, she poops at 8ish and I leave for work at 8:30. A walker comes at 12:30. She walks her and all is good. After that she is put back in the cage until 3. She sometimes poops and if she doesn't poop in that time she does from 5-7. Three months ago she was not doing this at all. What do I do?

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

He's too young to leave in a cage for a long period of time without being let outside. How many hours do you leave him in there?

What brand of food are you feeding her and how much? What does she currently weigh?

Also- can you tell me if you ever crate her when you're home?

December 15, 2015 Flag

Our baby Pug/Cocker mix, named Pucker, is 6 months old and she sleeps on our bed every night with our other dog, a 5 year old Pug. No problems at all, she loves sleeping on the bed. When we go out to dinner or to run an errand, we leave her in her crate. She was crate trained before we let her sleep on the bed. Our excursions last maybe 2 1/2 hours tops. So she's not in that crate very long. The last few weeks, every time we come home, she's pooped in the crate...no peeing just pooping.

The only reason we leave her in the crate is because, even though we've been vigilant in potty training, and she's doing very well, we are still worried about accidents. Also, she loves to terrorize our Pug, so we want to give her some peace. We don't know why she's doing this now and not before. Is it just the fact that she hates the crate and she's trying to tell us something?

I suggest taking Pucker to your vet now to determine if she has a medical problem that would cause your problems. After any medical problem is ruled out or treated, your vet can also make recommendations to improve Pucker's behavior.

Also:

How large is the crate?

Is your dog too large now for his crate?

Do you also crate your other dog at the same time when you leave? Perhaps Pucker is upset that he is crated and the Pug is not?

Pucker needs behavioral training to stop his aggression to the Pug.

You do need to crate both or none.

If you only crate your dog when you leave, the pup will see it as a punishment. You need to also crate her while you're there as well. Choose a time when the pups should be napping.

I agree that you should not be allowing one dog to "terrorize" another.

If you don't discipline the dog and allow her to do stuff she shouldn't because she is little and cute, she will behave badly when asked to do something you want her to do, like stay in the crate. Start her on her training.

November 15, 2010 Flag

I have a miniature Chihuahua that was found abandoned in a neighbor's apartment. When I first got her, I got her a large dog carrier for her to use as her "house". At night I would lock her in it so that she would not mess on my floors or furniture. If she used the bathroom in the carrier she would wait for it to harden then push it out of the carrier.

Now for the past few weeks she is using it in her bed, on her blankets, and everywhere. She used to whine when she needed to go out and that has stopped as well. What can I do?

By Angelia2010 from Atlanta, GA

I own a 9-year-old Shiba, and she did the same thing when she was a puppy. She would poop and howl like I was beating the living daylights out of her! She was so loud for a little fur ball that fit in the palm of your hand. I thought for sure the neighbors were hearing everything. I found the uproar was over her being separated from me. Remember now, your dog has previously been abandoned, so she is scared. I moved my pup in her crate next to my bed but that did not work out either. In the end (smart dog), I put her in bed with me and that was the end of the nightmare scenario. Also at this stage you have to get her in a "poopin and pp" schedule and do this routinely.

My Shiba is not vocal. She won't tell me when she needs to go, so I got in the habit of taking her out every hour when she was a pup and even today definitely first thing in the morning upon rising and the last thing at night before hitting the hay. You must do this or you will continue to have problems and you must go outside with them even at 2 am, 3 am, for 6 weeks. Which is the amount of time it takes them to learn the routine. Once they are on that schedule and maturing, you will take them out less frequently. Best wishes!

Cut a cardboard box low to share some space in the crate. Put a pee pad in there. Try feeding her in there and leave her for about 10 min. If she uses the pad reward her with lots of loving.

1st how much are you feeding her and how late in the day. Also you may have to experiment with different foods more digestible so she does not sleep on a bloated belly. As with any puppy.....its hit or miss when it comes to their digestion. Over all for peace of mind I would bring her in to the vet for a check up. Good Luck and what ever it is, it will pass.

Read More Answers...

April 29, 2015 Flag

I have a 17 week old puppy. We have tried crate training her. She is potty trained, and always lets us know when she needs to go outside. However when my husband and I go to work we leave her in the crate. Every time she is locked up she poops and gets all dirty, no matter what.

In the morning we will take her out for a 30 min. walk, she does poop outside, and once we put her in the crate she'll poop again. We put her space down to only where she can turn around and lay down, it doesn't do anything. We feed her once a day, 2 cups of food, and not after 7. Before we go to bed she goes poop outside. We stopped crate training her at night bcuz she won't stop barking. The people above us have a 1 year old so we try not to be too loud. When she sleeps in our room she doesn't go potty at all.

We got her to stop for a week and now she's back doing it. We don't give her any toys, bones, blankets, treats, or water. It's just her.

Today I had a friend watch her bcuz I had to work 24 hours, and she pooped, huge amounts, 9 times within 12 hours. She did it every time she was put in the cage. I ended up having to take her home becuz she wont stop.
      I don't know what to do with her.

You said you had to work 24 hours today. How often does this happen? Do you frequently have to work long hours? Is your schedule somewhat erratic?

You also say your husband works. Does he often work at the same time you do? What happens to the puppy during this time?

Here's your problem: A seventeen week old puppy is a baby. You are two working people raising a baby.

That baby is scared. She doesn't know who is going to be home when, if her needs are going to be met, or who will be watching her. She does know she is going to be shoved in the crate and as far as she is concerned she spends way too much time in the crate.

I'm not the person who gets to make the rules, but a four month old puppy is the equivalent to a human infant. I believe a puppy should never be left alone during this time. I believe a puppy should not be put in a crate with the door shut except for the purpose of crate training at night when everyone else is asleep. If she barks at night, it's because she's become afraid of being left alone. She's insecure.

Now you've got her in the crate without so much as something to chew on to relieve the anxiety or a blanket to comfort her. And she's a only a baby.

Please reconsider having a dog at this time.

Here is my two cents. I have a 5 month old puppy. She is a tough one to crate train. She doing okay but not as easy as the last dog we had . First of all, how large is this puppy? My dog is about 9 lbs and she gets 1/2 C. of food two times a day. Two cups of food a day seems like a crazy amount of food for a puppy. When we first got her she would poop at least 8 or 9 times a day. No kidding. There was nothing wrong with her, that was just what she did. She was a poop factory.

She is now 5 mos. old and you can guarantee she will poop at least 4 x a day. Upon waking.. 8:30 am... 3:30 a.m. after I get home and she comes out of her crate, and before bed. I remember being super frustrated as we would take her out , she would go, and we would bring her in for free time and a half hour later she would go poop on the rug again. It was crazy. She has a routine now. Dogs need a routine.

As far as the pooping in the crate goes, mine doesn't do that. She must really have to go if she is doing that. I assume she was to the vet and had shots and was checked for worms, etc.? Back when my dog was doing all the poop she had tape worms. I would make sure she doesn't have that. If you are so busy that you can't put this pup on a regular schedule I would say find a responsible family on Rescueme. org .

We all work and are home at different times so my dog isn't alone too awful long. Also, what brand of food are you feeding this pup? If you dog food is full of fillers and grains, you dog will poop much more. I feed Wellness for puppy. Eventually your dog will work like a clock. Food in = food OUT. Keep the dog leashed while eating, scoot them right out the back door. It's rough to potty train. Usually after playing in the house or running around it's poop time.

My pup will now sit and give me this look and I know it's time to go out. I know it's frustrating but if you don't have the time to devote to this, you may want to find it another home. Not being smart, just being honest. It's not an easy job. The pup is too small to be taken somewhere else and watched, etc... it needs to be home and on a strict routine.

Please explain to me how a pup might feel safe in a crate it can see out of. Our domesticated pets still worry about other predators and if your pet can see out, in it's mind, the predator can get in and get him. Think of how stressful this is to your pup. This stress makes the bowels work overtime. The pup needs a companion or to live in a home where someone is home all day.

Read More Answers...

July 22, 2015 Flag

We have a 13wk old terrier mix that has been with us for about a week and a half. We're in the process of housebreaking and crate training her, and she's still learning. Our daily schedule is wake up at 5:30 to take her out, then in for breakfast. We take her out again before we leave for work at 7:15, making sure she's peed and pooped at least once in the morning. She's in the crate until my wife gets home around 3:00, and during this time she has pooped in her crate, and somehow spread it in a splatter pattern outside the crate (very little left inside). We don't know if she jumps on it or what, but it's over a foot out from the crate in any direction. We clean the crate and wash her and she's out for the afternoon. No food until dinner time around 6pm, and no food after 8pm. We take her out again before bed (9:30-10pm) and she's fine in the crate overnight.

She's pooped in her crate during the daytime for several days in a row now. The crate has a divider to make it appropriately sized for her, but since she spreads it outside, she effectively removes it from her area so it doesn't bother her. She does it whether we have a towel in the crate for bedding or not. We're not able to leave work during the day to come home and let her out. Any suggestions?

Have you taken her to your vet for an initial exam to be sure she does not have any medical problems? We once had a black lab that could not hold for more than about 4 hours, no matter what we tried. The vet took an xray for possible blockage, however, it appeared that she had a shorter or thinner colon (I was only 10 at the time so this is all I remember) which affected her defecation. We loved her and just made changes where needed.

The vet can also provide suggestions to help you help your terrier.

Some dogs simply can't wait 8 hours. You may have to find someone in your neighborhood who can take the dog out at the halfway mark.

I don't feel young puppies should be left alone for that amount of time, anyway. Puppies are a lot like children. They are social and interactive. You wouldn't leave a child home alone for eight hours in a little cage. Assuming you also put him in there at night, that is a heck of a lot of time to spend in a crate.

Puppies that feel abandoned can quickly learn to hate their crate which will quickly undo any training you're trying to achieve.

While I think your schedule may work for a mature dog, I think it may be too long in the crate for a puppy. 6 to 8 hours is more than many puppies can do.

December 17, 2008 Flag

My Staffy poops in her cage. My puppy is 15 weeks old and is being trained via a cage. The cage is a large one and I'm wondering if it's too big. She was doing really well pooping and peeing outside. But then, last week she had her injection (because previous owners hadn't vaccinated her) and her vet check. We were told she was slightly thin. We upped her food and since then she has gone backwards and she's pooping in her cage now. Please help us as we are unsure of to what to do.

Michelle from Bristol

I've heard of "crate training" that's for sure. I've raised 4 dogs with no crate (cage). My breeder told me to get one and train my latest puppy to pee in it, makes no sense. I've never crate trained a dog. I never will but each to their own and a lot of people crate train to save their furniture from being chewed while at work. Also keeps the pup safe from wires and such. I don't know what the right answer is for this. Wow. If the pup is in it for great lengths of time alone while you are working or away from your house then yes, it will pee and poop there. Otherwise, when you are home, leave the door open so the pup can come and go and train it to go outside. Pups catch on quite fast for the most part.

Well I'm new. LOL. I should learn to read dates on the posts before posting. lmao

1. He's probably being left in the cage too long.

2. At the age that he's at, he should be getting fed twice a day.

Read More Answers...

October 6, 2011 Flag

I have a 3 month old brindle pit bull puppy and he will not poop anywhere besides his crate. I see a lot of people saying they won't pee or poop where they sleep, but not only does he pee in there, he will only poop in there. After he eats, which we took down to once a day, we wait 10 minutes then take him out for an hour and he does nothing. In fact, he eats at 7:00 pm, will not do anything outside, then holds it all night and poops in his crate during the day. I am at the end of my rope having to come home and bathe him and clean a crate everyday. Please help.

By Mzzyngr

Please feed your puppy at least twice a day. A Puppy at this age needs more protein to build up his muscles and weight. He should be fed at least morning & night. Why is he in a Crate all the time? Your puppy needs to interact with his family and get more play time to socialize him. Potty training will take awhile, but it will happen. Take him outside 20 minutes after each meal for at least a 1/2 hr. A puppy that poops in his crate is in there way too long..

Each day when he poops in his crate, take the poop and put it outside in the area where you want him to poop. Do NOT punish him for pooping in his crate. Take him to the vet as well to be checked to be sure he does not have any physical difficulties. Also, the vet can give you good feedback on how to fix this.

OK not to hurt your feelings but he may be scared and upset. If he did that with his mother she probably cleaned up after him. I do not know how old he was when he was taken from his mother. Most of the time this should be his safe haven. How long do you leave him in there? Does he have something to chew on and lay by or a toy? Pits get very large and strong all of a sudden. Also he needs to be taken out more and tell him a command.

I use go outside and walk in the grassy area with him. When he does do his business tell him what a good boy he is and pet him. I also use special things. ex. rub his eyes softly shutting them, hug him, rub along his face or nose softly... See what is special to him. Also if you have a trusted friend or relative that could come by during the day, that would be great. My 80 yr old mom comes by for an abused and left alone dog for years now. She gets so excited when my mom comes over and she lays down like a puppy only for her. I have secretly watched the two of them. You know what she does and only my mom? She kisses her face and rubs her nose. My dog went from 63 lbs to 100. The vet could not believe she was the same dog. Now it took me a year to get her where she is. Pitt bulls are known to be smart and stubborn! They tend to be big baby styles and love you to death ot watch dogs. Do not let that dog ever see you as anything but the leader of the pack.

Read More Answers...

August 25, 2014 Flag

My dog is about 2 years old. She has a bit of anxiety and as I just got her a few months ago, I don't know a lot about her history. Just recently (the past month or so) she started pooping in her cage.

Answer This QuestionMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes
          Load More
          Pets Dogs House TrainingJune 29, 2013
          An adult dog in a crate.
          Crate Training an Adult Dog
          puppy in crate
          Puppy Pees in Crate
          Dog Crate
          Making a Dog Crate Cover
          Crate Training a Puppy, Young Papillon in a crate.
          Crate Training a Puppy
          © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 28, 2016 at 8:16:37 PM on 10.0.1.124 in 328 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.