Puppy Poops in Crate

Knowing what to do to help teach your puppy not to poop in his crate can be difficult. You have seemingly tried everything and still have the problem. This is a guide about puppy poops in crate.

Puppy in Crate
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

Our 5 month old German Shepherd is pooping in her cage. She is let out every 4 hours and still always poops in her cage. I feed her at 7 am, she poops at 8ish and I leave for work at 8:30. A walker comes at 12:30. She walks her and all is good. After that she is put back in the cage until 3. She sometimes poops and if she doesn't poop in that time she does from 5-7. Three months ago she was not doing this at all. What do I do?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Also- can you tell me if you ever crate her when you're home?

Read More Answers...

Our baby Pug/Cocker mix, named Pucker, is 6 months old and she sleeps on our bed every night with our other dog, a 5 year old Pug. No problems at all, she loves sleeping on the bed. When we go out to dinner or to run an errand, we leave her in her crate. She was crate trained before we let her sleep on the bed. Our excursions last maybe 2 1/2 hours tops. So she's not in that crate very long. The last few weeks, every time we come home, she's pooped in the crate...no peeing just pooping.

The only reason we leave her in the crate is because, even though we've been vigilant in potty training, and she's doing very well, we are still worried about accidents. Also, she loves to terrorize our Pug, so we want to give her some peace. We don't know why she's doing this now and not before. Is it just the fact that she hates the crate and she's trying to tell us something?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You do need to crate both or none.

If you only crate your dog when you leave, the pup will see it as a punishment. You need to also crate her while you're there as well. Choose a time when the pups should be napping.

I agree that you should not be allowing one dog to "terrorize" another.

If you don't discipline the dog and allow her to do stuff she shouldn't because she is little and cute, she will behave badly when asked to do something you want her to do, like stay in the crate. Start her on her training.

Read More Answers...

We have a 13wk old terrier mix that has been with us for about a week and a half. We're in the process of housebreaking and crate training her, and she's still learning. Our daily schedule is wake up at 5:30 to take her out, then in for breakfast. We take her out again before we leave for work at 7:15, making sure she's peed and pooped at least once in the morning. She's in the crate until my wife gets home around 3:00, and during this time she has pooped in her crate, and somehow spread it in a splatter pattern outside the crate (very little left inside). We don't know if she jumps on it or what, but it's over a foot out from the crate in any direction. We clean the crate and wash her and she's out for the afternoon. No food until dinner time around 6pm, and no food after 8pm. We take her out again before bed (9:30-10pm) and she's fine in the crate overnight.

She's pooped in her crate during the daytime for several days in a row now. The crate has a divider to make it appropriately sized for her, but since she spreads it outside, she effectively removes it from her area so it doesn't bother her. She does it whether we have a towel in the crate for bedding or not. We're not able to leave work during the day to come home and let her out. Any suggestions?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

While I think your schedule may work for a mature dog, I think it may be too long in the crate for a puppy. 6 to 8 hours is more than many puppies can do.

Read More Answers...

I have a 17 week old puppy. We have tried crate training her. She is potty trained, and always lets us know when she needs to go outside. However when my husband and I go to work we leave her in the crate. Every time she is locked up she poops and gets all dirty, no matter what.

In the morning we will take her out for a 30 min. walk, she does poop outside, and once we put her in the crate she'll poop again. We put her space down to only where she can turn around and lay down, it doesn't do anything. We feed her once a day, 2 cups of food, and not after 7. Before we go to bed she goes poop outside. We stopped crate training her at night bcuz she won't stop barking. The people above us have a 1 year old so we try not to be too loud. When she sleeps in our room she doesn't go potty at all.

We got her to stop for a week and now she's back doing it. We don't give her any toys, bones, blankets, treats, or water. It's just her.

Today I had a friend watch her bcuz I had to work 24 hours, and she pooped, huge amounts, 9 times within 12 hours. She did it every time she was put in the cage. I ended up having to take her home becuz she wont stop.
        I don't know what to do with her.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Please explain to me how a pup might feel safe in a crate it can see out of. Our domesticated pets still worry about other predators and if your pet can see out, in it's mind, the predator can get in and get him. Think of how stressful this is to your pup. This stress makes the bowels work overtime. The pup needs a companion or to live in a home where someone is home all day.

Read More Answers...

I have a miniature Chihuahua that was found abandoned in a neighbor's apartment. When I first got her, I got her a large dog carrier for her to use as her "house". At night I would lock her in it so that she would not mess on my floors or furniture. If she used the bathroom in the carrier she would wait for it to harden then push it out of the carrier.

Now for the past few weeks she is using it in her bed, on her blankets, and everywhere. She used to whine when she needed to go out and that has stopped as well. What can I do?

By Angelia2010 from Atlanta, GA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

1st how much are you feeding her and how late in the day. Also you may have to experiment with different foods more digestible so she does not sleep on a bloated belly. As with any puppy.....its hit or miss when it comes to their digestion. Over all for peace of mind I would bring her in to the vet for a check up. Good Luck and what ever it is, it will pass.

Read More Answers...

I have 2 Newfoundland puppies that are 11 weeks old. They are brother and sister. I have a large crate which I divided into 2 sections. I put the puppies in the same side so that they are together. I feed them supper at 5:00pm and take them out until 5:30pm. They always poop and pee for me. The I take them out again at 7:30pm and 10:30pm. Sometime between 12:00am and 2:00am they are pooping in their crate and we get woken up by the smell. I have been trying everything, please help.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

My dog is about 2 years old. She has a bit of anxiety and as I just got her a few months ago, I don't know a lot about her history. Just recently (the past month or so) she started pooping in her cage.

It started out as problems with diarrhea, so I blamed it on her being sick. The vet gave her medication and now she is feeling better, but she continues to poop in her cage.

I bought her a smaller one, hoping that it would discourage the behavior, but now she just pushes it out of the cage. Now I have to clean the cage and the dog every time.

It usually happens when she is left home alone at my boyfriend's house or my parents'. She never does this at home. I know that she can hold it for 6-8 hours typically, although I usually take her out every 4-5.

My next idea was to put her in a cage that is more enclosed so that she can't push it out. I just worry that this will cause her more anxiety and her diarrhea will come back.

By JM from Louisville, KY

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Is there any reason you have no knowledge of her previous life? You are only increasing her anxiety by leaving her with your parent, then boyfriend, when she is ideally supposed to be living with you. Why is she consistently kept in a "crate" instead of being allowed to roam free in your home. If you live with no access to a backyard, is there any reason you can't walk her on lead in a designated area at least morning and night.

If none of these options are freely available in her very best interest the kindest gift you can give this poor frustrated creature is to give her to some one who has.

Read More Answers...

My Staffy poops in her cage. My puppy is 15 weeks old and is being trained via a cage. The cage is a large one and I'm wondering if it's too big. She was doing really well pooping and peeing outside. But then, last week she had her injection (because previous owners hadn't vaccinated her) and her vet check. We were told she was slightly thin. We upped her food and since then she has gone backwards and she's pooping in her cage now. Please help us as we are unsure of to what to do.

Michelle from Bristol

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

1. He's probably being left in the cage too long.

2. At the age that he's at, he should be getting fed twice a day.

Read More Answers...

I have a 3 month old brindle pit bull puppy and he will not poop anywhere besides his crate. I see a lot of people saying they won't pee or poop where they sleep, but not only does he pee in there, he will only poop in there. After he eats, which we took down to once a day, we wait 10 minutes then take him out for an hour and he does nothing. In fact, he eats at 7:00 pm, will not do anything outside, then holds it all night and poops in his crate during the day. I am at the end of my rope having to come home and bathe him and clean a crate everyday. Please help.

By Mzzyngr

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

OK not to hurt your feelings but he may be scared and upset. If he did that with his mother she probably cleaned up after him. I do not know how old he was when he was taken from his mother. Most of the time this should be his safe haven. How long do you leave him in there? Does he have something to chew on and lay by or a toy? Pits get very large and strong all of a sudden. Also he needs to be taken out more and tell him a command.

I use go outside and walk in the grassy area with him. When he does do his business tell him what a good boy he is and pet him. I also use special things. ex. rub his eyes softly shutting them, hug him, rub along his face or nose softly... See what is special to him. Also if you have a trusted friend or relative that could come by during the day, that would be great. My 80 yr old mom comes by for an abused and left alone dog for years now. She gets so excited when my mom comes over and she lays down like a puppy only for her. I have secretly watched the two of them. You know what she does and only my mom? She kisses her face and rubs her nose. My dog went from 63 lbs to 100. The vet could not believe she was the same dog. Now it took me a year to get her where she is. Pitt bulls are known to be smart and stubborn! They tend to be big baby styles and love you to death ot watch dogs. Do not let that dog ever see you as anything but the leader of the pack.

Read More Answers...

My dog is 15 weeks old. He is a Yorkie and Schnauzer mix. While I was asleep he pooped in his cage which is located in my room. He has just gotten this cage and he thinks he could poop in it. In his old cage he only peed a couple times. I'm thinking that his cage might be too big, but it doesn't look like it. I really need help on keeping this new puppy. We have had him since he was 13 weeks old. My mom is already getting tired of him pooping and peeing in his cage. I'm doing a lot of research and taking notes to keep this dog. I'm 13 yrs old. Also my dog was a stray before, if that has to do with anything.

By Sierra D.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Your dog may have a medical problem as his behavior has changed. The new cage may or may not have much to do with his new behavior. Please take him to your vet and ask for help. Be sure to explain he was a stray and describe his prior and current urinating and defecating problem. Your dog may need medication for a medical condition resulting in his new behavior.

Four photos of Jack Russell puppy.I have a Jack Russell mix puppy and she has given me nothing but problems since I got her! Every time I put her in her crate she cries and cries and then goes to the bathroom in her crate. I've tried everything! Can anyone help?

By Thomas Eugene H.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Try increasing the size of the crate - a small one is very frightening for the dog - she needs room to spread out . Try taking her for a walk before crating her so she can go to the toilet first - by using a big crate she can have newspaper down and she can use that to go to the toilet on - she shouldn't be punished for going to the toilet in the crate either as this maybe part of the reason she fears the crate.

My wee dog has got a pen that's more than one metre square - as I believe the dogs comfort must come first - always put yourself in their position and think how you would feel . As she gets more comfortable with her sleeping area the less she will toilet in it - but always give her the time to go to the toilet outside a few minutes before you put her in there. put toys & bedding in the bigger crate as well.

My five month old Pit Bull is pooping in his cage. I take him outside when I get home from work and after dinner. He runs off finds a good spot and uses the bathroom. When we go back inside he goes back in his cage and as soon as I leave the room he poops again. I don't have time to clean his cage out everyday so he piles the poop in the front of his cage. He also started peeping in his water bowl. I don't know what to do.

By C. Gardner

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Try taking the poop from the cage and putting it in the area of the garden where you want him to do it - leave it there until he's trained - remember 5 months isn't that old - try giving him a larger cage - also he made need to be left out of the cage for longer to get some more companionship - maybe he feels stressed being in the cage too much. Also by not cleaning the poop from his cage is giving him the message that it's ok to do it there.

Never punish him as stress can have a lasting negative affect. Cuddles a plenty!

When I put my dog (who is a 12 week old lab) in his cage for the night he continues to poop and pee in the cage. He does this even thought I let him out before bedtime. When I wake up in the morning to take him outside he is laying in it. My cage is huge you would think he would lay on the other side of the cage, but no.

By Anthony from San Antonio

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Sounds like the crate is too big for yourr puppy plus he's just a baby. You might need 2 take him out an extra time during the night.

Read More Answers...

I have a 3 month old Husky/Shepherd mix. She is a very sweet docile dog, but she does not like us to leave her. She will sleep in her crate at night, but if I leave her for even 15 minutes in the crate during the day, she poops in it. She doesn't care if it has poop in it either, she walks all over it. It's quite a mess and the entire process has been quite stressful, because I can not even go to the store. I have tried to put her in the crate to get used to it while we were home, but she will cry. Help!

By Berry from CA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

How about a wind up clock which makes a ticking noise? Also a stuffed toy, nothing the dog can chew off and swallow though. Maybe the puppy is just lonesome and misses his family. When you are around at night he know you are there so no problem. We used the clock and stuffed toy when our dog was little. The vet said the ticking reminded the dog of her mother's heart beat, and the toy just became a litter mate for her. Good luck.

Read More Answers...
            Pets Dogs House TrainingJune 29, 2013
            An adult dog in a crate.
            Crate Training an Adult Dog
            puppy in crate
            Puppy Pees in Crate
            Dog Crate
            Making a Dog Crate Cover
            Crate Training a Puppy, Young Papillon in a crate.
            Crate Training a Puppy
            © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on April 30, 2016 at 6:10:37 PM on 10.0.0.37 in 461 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.