Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Puppy is Not Eating

It can be disturbing when your puppy refuses to eat. This is a guide about puppy is not eating.

Hand holding treat with a Shih Tzu puppy in the background

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about Shih Tzu puppy not eating. Puppies can sometimes be very picky eaters causing their people concern.

I've just brought home a 10 week old Shih Tzu Jack Russel X. She's a good weight and seems well. I bought the same puppy food she had been on, Optimum, but she won't eat anything. I have had her for 2 days now and she's only drinking. Can I give her anything else like rice?

Puppies frequently freak out when changing hands. It isn't just the new environment, it's the loss of mom and siblings. Consider being away from your family for the first time as a child.

You can feed your puppy boiled rice with boiled unseasoned chicken.

If she won't eat that or becomes weak or doesn't play, see what the vet has to say.

Try putting a beef or chicken stock cube into the wee ones water bowl. Also try mashing the tinned food & warming it in the microwave before serving it up as the heat brings out the food smells which may stimulate the dog. [ check that the food is not too hot before feeding ].

September 21, 2013 Flag

I have a 3 month old puppy that just stopped eating. She now weighs about 5lbs. She eats a can of dog food and then no more. Her feet have turned dark and I am afraid she's gonna die. I have tried Ensure and any kind of food I think she may like. But still nothing. Please help before she dies. Please.

By Alma from Georgia

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Please take the dog to the vet ASAP! There is something seriously wrong with it.

Best Answer

Take the pup to a Vet right away. If money is a problem most vets will allow you to make payments. Some will treat you pet for nothing because they have funds just for that. Call your Vets in advance to see who has payment plans or free treatment. Good luck to you.

December 29, 2016 Flag

I have a 6 week old puppy. I've had her for 2 weeks because her mom died. I started off giving her milk, but she started doing great with eating regular puppy food. She is a Chihuahua and my mom accidentally stepped on her. Her equilibrium is off, but I have been giving her water throughout the day. She can't walk she only gets up to go pee. She won't take any dog food though. I have no way of getting her to the vet. What can I do for her? Will she be okay if she doesn't eat for a couple days, but I keep her hydrated? Help!

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

A puppy needs to eat. What about the aspca? Why do you have no way of getting to the vet?! Maybe a kind neighbor can drive you.

You are wise to keep her hydrated. But the fact that she cant walk and wont eat tells me she is badly injured. You might try some softened dog food in a syringe. You are right to be concerned that a puppy that young must eat. You also need to consider that she may be in pain. This puppy must have care right now. If you really cant get her to a Vet right away, you need to find your local humane society. They will provide the medical care she needs, but you will need to sign her over to them. But what ever you do you must do it now, out of kindness to her. She cant be left to suffer.

I have a 10 week old female Pit Bull that my adult pit birthed. She used to be the biggest of 11 pups throughout the nursing and weaning process. After introducing soft puppy food at 7 1/2 weeks she did great and was still host of the pack. For the last week or 10 days she absolutely will not eat her food, table food, or anything at all. She drinks plenty of water, but when she pees it's a thicker consistency than normal. Anyone ever experience this? What's her deal cuz my vet won't be back in the office till the 13th. Any suggestions or home remedies?

This is a long time to go without eating. Doesn't your vet have an emergency vet on call in his/her absence? If not, I would go to another vet.

No he doesn't or she would have already been to vet

I got my puppy 2 days ago, I was told she is only 2 months old and so far all she does is drink a lot of water and won't touch her food. We gave her hard food that her owner was giving her and she will take a few pieces and eat them someplace else, but won't return. I'm afraid she's not getting the nutrients she needs to grow more and be healthy. I'm not sure what to do. I was going to buy her some soft food and see how that played out. This is my first puppy so of course I'm worried about every little thing, but any suggestions?

Best Answer

Please take your puppy to your veterinarian immediately as something is very wrong if she is not eating! If you delay the vet visit, she may die as she is not getting the food she needs.

Well I'm worried and if she doesn't start I'm taking her to the vet

I have a 11 week old Pomeranian mixed with Maltese, who's giving me trouble with eating. Please advise.

Crush the food and put it in milk

My puppy wont eat he is drinking water but seens week and not playful

June 26, 2013 Flag

I recently got a puppy and she won't eat her food or drink water. I gave her a fourth of the little Ceaser's wet food she tried eating it but lost interest, I tried giving her water and she didn't pay any attention to it even when I dipped my finger in the bowl. Do you think I should give her puppy milk instead?

By Melissa F.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Contact a vet immediately! But yes, get a bottle and some puppy formula. We went through the same thing.

I would be concerned about Parvo. Even if they have had their 1st shots, at 6 weeks they have very little resistance to the Parvo virus. Your puppy should get to a Vet immediately. Parvo is often fatal and you need to be able to know what to do for your little guy. If he remains listless and uninterested in his food, get him to a Vet right away.

August 1, 2016 Flag

I have a 12 week old German Shepherd puppy that has stopped eating, but drinks a lot of water. He did eat yesterday, but I came in to find that he had thrown-up his food. He is now eating very little compared to what he usually eats. I will be taking him to the vet tomorrow, but was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to what may be the problem.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Something is very wrong with your puppy! Take him to your vet now as he may have an intestinal blockage or other internal problem. Any delay will result in a more serious condition and costly medical services.

This could be parvo. You will need to see a Vet to find out. Parvo can be deadly so see your vet asap.

I have a three months old GSD puppy. She stopped eating as of 3 days ago and she has lost a lot of weight and also reduced in size. Please what do I do to help her condition?

Please take your pup to your vet immediately!!! Not eating for three days and losing weight are signs of a serious problem!!!

The dog may have an intestinal blockage from eating something it shouldn't have. If this is the case it would die without veterinary care. Or, there may be something else wrong. If weight loss is noticeable a trip to the vet is required.

August 25, 2016 Flag

I have an Indian Spitz puppy who has just turned 3 months old. Yesterday, she was very playful and had enough food and was clearly healthy. We used to feed her with Drools (S) and yesterday we started giving her Drools (M). This morning she refused to eat or drink anything. She vomited 3 times and on contacting the vet, he has said it must be because of the sudden change in her food or because she hasn't been dewormed. In the morning, we gave milk in a dropper and that seems to work. But she's always sleeping and biting if we try to feed her. Can someone help?

Thanks

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

If your puppy has not been vaccinated for Parvo virus, you need to consider that. Parvo causes puppies to vomit and have severe diarrhea. They are very sick. The fatality rate is pretty high. But some dogs make it and there is good supportive vet care that does help (antibiotics and hydration). Have you puppy checked out right away by a Vet that knows what they are doing. Good luck.

March 4, 2007 Flag

My 4 or 5 week old pitbull will not eat. I have to force feed babby milk and it won't touch dog food. What should I do?

Sharon from Beaumont, TX

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I would get some puppy milk from the pet store or vet and blend it with a good canned puppy food to a watery mixture and squirt it in his mouth with a dropper very little at a time. He'll eat it and survive.

A lot of people get pups at a young age and it is not a good idea. You shouldn't accept a pup before 8 weeks as they learn manners and pack rules from their mother at 7 and 8 weeks old. Behavior problems are huge among dogs who have been taken from their mothers too young.

Why do people go on these things and criticize someone for getting a puppy too early? There might be circumstances in which there was no other choice. The mother might have stopped feeding the pups, or the mother might have died, or maybe the original owner was either going to dispose of them or give them away (so why not save a life?) in which case that owner has no business having a dog anyway.

I got 2 pit pups at 4 weeks old because the owner was like the one I just mentioned. They were able to eat from a bowl and did not want to be bottle fed, but I still fed them PRM and mixed it with puppy food and allowed it to soak. I wormed them for round worms, hook worms, tapeworms, and whip worms.

They are doing great! They are the most playful pups and very loving too! They are very smart and I only have to change my tone of voice to correct them. They already know their names when I call them. I take them to visit friends when I go visiting, so that they will learn to be sociable. They are happy and healthy!

I wouldn't dare want to ever take them back to the people that had them before, they are so much better off with me. Oh, and when I got them from the previous owner, they were both covered in fleas...now they don't have any fleas! It does my heart good to know I was able to save their lives, and seeing them run up to me with their wagging tails when I get home is reward enough! So please, don't criticize someone if you don't know the whole story!

July 27, 2016 Flag

I got a puppy almost a week ago. She went to the vet the next day and had her first shots and the vet wormed her too. She didn't seem to want to eat too much when we got her, but was weighed at 3.70kg. She will be 8 weeks old on Sunday and she doesn't seem to want to eat and has had soft stools for 2 days. She is still drinking and is very playful and she will eat occasionally, but seems to be losing weight. I can see her hip bones when she is standing. Please help. I am very worried and not sure if she could be fretting for her mum and siblings.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Something is very wrong if your very young puppy is not eating and is losing weight. Please take her to your vet immediately! Any delay can worsen her condition and increase medical costs.

July 27, 2016 Flag

Although, my father has an income, it has been maxed out due to medical bills, medication, two funerals, and furnace replacement. This is on top of a mortgage that has gone backwards. He doesn't qualify for home improvement loans, and the house is unlivable without them. He is presently in a nursing home and facing bankruptcy if an answer isn't found soon. We have offered to move in with him and make arrangements for the repairs and pay the loan payments ourselves, but we do not qualify for such a large loan either. Is there any hope?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Your father may find help to repair his house on this site:

SENIORS-National Council On Aging (NCOA)

The National Counseling On Aging has a free resource site:

www.BenefitsCheckUp.org

This site is a confidential and free and easy resource service to help people 55 years and older locate and apply for benefits. There are numerous financial assistance programs, both public and private, that can help struggling Seniors trying to make ends meet. The site has information on more than 2000 programs. Many are available to anyone in need who qualify, while others are available only to older adults and can help them retain their independence.

Benefit Types:

Food Assistance, Health Care, Prescription Drugs, Utility Assistance, Supplemental Security Income (SSI), low income housing, tax relief, respite care, free legal assistance and many other benefit programs are available.

To use the site, you enter basic information about the person in need-date of birth, zip code, and check boxes for what the person needs assistance with. The site generates a report instantly, listing links to the programs and services that the person may qualify for.

Some assistance programs can be applied for online while other have downloadable form to be printed and mailed, faxed or emailed in, and some require you to contact the program directly.

Benefits Enrollment Center

It is also possible to get help in person at a Benefits Enrollment Center. There are currently 36 centers in 24 states and 12 more will be added in 2016. Visit the online site for locations:

www.NCOA.org/centerforbenefits/becs

BottomLinePersonal.com050116-DCA

July 24, 2016 Flag

My dad's friend gave me a six week old puppy and he will not eat at all. He drinks water, but won't eat. I even tried milk. I don't know what to do.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Something is very wrong if such a young puppy won't eat!!! Please take him to your vet immediately!!!!

Puppies should stay with their mothers for at least 8 weeks to ensure a good nutritional and emotional base before adoption. Did your friend's Dad give you the puppy because he already had problems and your friend's Dad did not want to take him to a vet?

Please take him to your veterinarian now for immediate help or your puppy will die!!!

My 4 week old Yorkie will not eat or drink. I was told to try and make him drink. Kits are not working. There have been no flu symptoms. All he wants to do is to lay down and sleep.

Load More
Pets Dogs AdviceMay 19, 2013
Bored Kid at a Restaurant
Keep Children Entertained When Eating Out
Couple being served a Salad
Eating Healthy While Eating Out
Shih Tzu Puppy Not Eating
Puppy in Crate
Puppy Poops in Crate
👒
🐰
You are viewing the desktop version of this page: View Mobile Site.
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 27, 2017 at 11:36:49 PM on 10.0.2.38 in 4 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.