Putting Ice Cubes in Garbage Disposal

Running ice cubes through your garbage disposal will help clean off the blades. This is a guide about putting ice cubes in garbage disposal.

A dull or slow garbage disposal can be easily sharpened by running ice cubes through it.

By mom-from-missouri from NW MO

Clean the garbage disposal of all nasty smells and sharpen the blades too by throwing in a few ice cubes while it is running. It works! Do it on a regular basis to keep the disposal in good shape.

By marzie from Palm Desert, CA

I was just wondering if it is OK to periodically put a few ice cubes down the garbage disposal and run it? Would it clean and sharpen the blades? I think I remember someone telling me that it was a good idea. Just wondering what you think. Thanks!

Jeanette

Answers:

Putting Ice Cubes in Garbage Disposal

It is perfectly OK to run ice cubes through the disposal. It helps clean out old junk that gets lodged. It doesn't harm any moving parts. (02/19/2009)

By Harry

Putting Ice Cubes in Garbage Disposal

I do this once in a while. If you have any orange or lemon peels throw those in as well, smells nice. (02/19/2009)

By OliveOyl

Putting Ice Cubes in Garbage Disposal

The instructions that came with my new disposal recommended using ice cubes periodically to clean the blades and interior of disposal.

(02/19/2009)

By plwp12

Putting Ice Cubes in Garbage Disposal

It helps remove the biofilm that grows in there, but it won't sharpen the blades. Won't hurt them either. (02/20/2009)

By kimhis