Garbage Disposal Won't Drain

Category Plumbing
When your garbage disposal won't drain it is typically the sink plumbing that is the culprit. You need to clear the plug. This is a guide about garbage disposal won't drain.

My waste disposal is jammed. The blades are going around because the water is spinning, but it won't drain. Any ideas?

By Rebecca Burton from TX

Answers

Best Answer

I have had it happen. I put dishwasher on rinse cycle and as water pushes up into sink. I plunge like crazy with a plunger and the force of the water can unclog the blockage further down in the pipe. Give it a try before you call the plumber. It has worked for me a couple of times.

Best Answer

Needs to be cleared this is correct. As a plumber I see many people put things in their disposal they would never put in their drain. NO citrus, No hard vegetables etc. Remember this stuff just gets chopped up and goes in your drains (which no-one values until they don't work)

Put 1/2 cup vinegar in there (without much water bail if you need to) follow with 3 tbs baking soda. Now boil water pour a bit down at a time. this clears your drains naturally and eco friendly.

However if you suspect there is something hard in there...loosen the joint with a bucket (under the sink) it. and get a hand auger from your hardware store. now you have a valuable tool that is only 8 dollars.

If the blades are not turning after remember there is a reset switch (usually red) on the bottom you may need to press. If you do need to disconnect the tailpiece ensure it is straight and only hand tighten (careful not to cross thread) this will ensure you have no leaks. take your time use your logic you will be fine.

My disposal spins and the water goes down, but it comes right back up like a tornado. I tried a plunger. What is wrong with it and is there a simple solution? Thanks.

By Dee

Answers

Best Answer

It sounds like you have a clog. Most disposals are in a double sink, and you have to seal one off and then use the plunger on the other one. I find that two plungers (and two people - one on each plunger) work the best. Seal off the second sink with the first plunger, fill the disposal with water, and plunge away with the second. Disposals are usually plugged with ground up food, like potato peels.

Best Answer

I used the suggestions provided with baking soda, vinegar, boiling water and a plunger. It worked!

My disposal still runs, but water won't go down drain.

By Pam

Answers

Best Answer

The clogged drain sounds like the problem ... using the plunger may open it up. Then boil a huge pot of water, pour about 1 cup baking soda in the disposal and then 1 cup vinegar. Let that sit about 15-20 minutes then pour the boiling water down the drain. Be sure you know what you can and cannot put in a disposal. Good luck!

My garbage disposal doesn't drain the water out but the motor is working. Any suggestions?

Kate from PA

Answers:

Garbage Disposal Won't Drain

Before you call the repairman: My friend had this same problem and called the repair guy. He came out and unscrewed the drain part that connects into the disposal and out rolled a mangled whole radish, a $70.00 radish mind you! Just turn the power off and unscrew that part of the drain, maybe you have a radish or something similar to that lodged in there. Good luck. (01/08/2009)

Garbage Disposal Won't Drain

This was a godsend. Thank you! (01/08/2009)

By MM

Garbage Disposal Won't Drain

I have never had good luck with a garbage disposal in, 2 separate kitchen sinks, so we simply took them out. Toss the garbage in the trash. The septic tank does not need garbage. (01/10/2009)

By Beth

Garbage Disposal Won't Drain

Once you get your disposer unclogged, once a day or more run a gallon of water into the disposer, this will constantly keep solids moving. What I do is cut the top off of a gallon milk jug, leave on the handle. I put this jug in the sink under the faucet and let it catch water from rinsing things, washing hands, etc. When it gets full, I pour it in the disposer. (01/12/2009)

By Jim

Garbage Disposal Won't Drain

Using a plunger is good, as long as you haven't put a chemical cleanser in there first. Don't want splash back. Taking the pipes apart, under the sink, and clearing them out can also help. My husband has used a straightened wire hanger to help pull out the clogs.

When my daughter moved into her new house, it was within a week her kitchen sink stopped up and she and her husband tried everything. Finally, they had to call the Roto-Rooter guy. Of course, with all their tools, he cleared it in no time.

The guy did tell them to NOT put old pasta (of any kind) down the sink/garbage. The starch in it makes the pasta (spaghetti is the worst) stick to the sides of the pipes like glue and eventually, closes off the pipes. Don't put any cucumber or similar veggie peels down there either. Make sure after turning off the disposal, continue to run water to make sure whatever you ground up, goes down.

Hope this helps. (01/12/2009)

By KJ

Garbage Disposal Won't Drain

Awesome, you guys are life savers. The dishwasher is working right now. Thank you, thank you! Cover the one side and plunge the other. This saved me a plumber visit. Thank you. (01/12/2009)

By theresa

Garbage Disposal Won't Drain

Plunger. (01/21/2009)

By katie

Garbage Disposal Won't Drain

The trick to plug one side of the sink then plunge the disposal side worked wonders. I loved it! I had been working on it all day and then this took literally 20 seconds. I am so grateful. Thanks so much! (01/27/2009)

By Mindee

Garbage Disposal Won't Drain

Excellent! I read through the responses, and the method that advised to plug up one side of the drain and plunge the side with the garbage disposal worked fantastically. Thanks! (01/31/2009)

By Nancy

Garbage Disposal Won't Drain

This worked perfectly to stop up the other side of the sink and plunge the disposal side. Took less than 1 minute. Thank you so much! (02/10/2009)

By MOLLY

Garbage Disposal Won't Drain

Here's a piece of advice: Don't run pineapple cores through the disposal. Even the plunger won't help you. I learned this the hard way. This morning I had to take the trap apart to drain it. (02/26/2009)

By Tom

Garbage Disposal Won't Drain

After my mom spent money buying an auger and a wrench, I found this site and the plunger worked in two seconds. Thanks. (04/20/2009)

By dawn ruminski

Garbage Disposal Won't Drain

Sept. 2009 and the plug-one-side, run-the-disposal trick is still working. My husband was sure I had put something untoward down that hole and said I could fix it. Well, I did - thanks to this dandy site. Thanks, you saved my bacon! Hubby was truly impressed! (09/02/2009)

By Donna Brinkman-Jacobs

Carrots in the drain!

Hubby peeled the carrots for dinner, bless his heart, but then before I caught him, he turned on the disposal. Oh no! We fussed around for an hour, ground up carrots and water everywhere. Then I googled it, while he was looking for wrenches. Five seconds later...no more clog! Block the plain drain and plunge the disposal side, so simple and so effective! Thank you so much for sharing this tip! It's probably a plumber's best kept secret. (11/05/2009)

By Becca

Garbage Disposal Won't Drain

I just googled to this site for help on my garbage disposal that would not drain. With the solution right here; I was compelled to send my thanks! I tried the first suggestion listed--"plunge it." I covered the drain opposite the disposal and plunged the drain with the disposal. So easy, quick, and I am sure it saved me money and stress! Thanks for your helpful hints on Thrifty Fun. (11/16/2009)

By ElizabBa

Garbage Disposal Won't Drain

Hey, I didn't think something so simple (plugging the flowing side and plunging the clogged side / garbage disposal side) would work! I'm glad I checked online before calling a plumber. Many thanks to the author! (02/03/2010)

By Elia

Garbage Disposal Won't Drain

I just want to give a big thanks to the tip provider! And it really works! (03/17/2010)

By Orange

Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.