Disposal Runs But Sink Won't Drain

My disposal still runs, but water won't go down drain.

By Pam

Best Answer

The clogged drain sounds like the problem ... using the plunger may open it up. Then boil a huge pot of water, pour about 1 cup baking soda in the disposal and then 1 cup vinegar. Let that sit about 15-20 minutes then pour the boiling water down the drain. Be sure you know what you can and cannot put in a disposal. Good luck!

Something is clogged in your drain. Use a plunger and see if that will open it. I had the same problem with a plunger we opened it.

Amazing! After plunging my sink for 30 minutes, reset my disposal, I turned to this solution.

It took two tries, but worked! Thank you, thank you, thank you! - Shelly

So I put lettuce down the garbage disposal a while ago, and it clogged it up. It would spin, but not drain. I put about 1/2 cup of baking soda, 1 cup of vinegar, let it sit for about 15 min, then put a pot of boiling hot water in it. I started to see bubbles rise, turned on the garbage disposal and it went down like a charm! no need to plunge. I guess I wont be putting lettuce in the garbage disposal for a while lol

If you have a dishwasher attached to the main line by the garbage disposal - run it. It unclogged my garbage disposal from too many potato peels, when all the other suggestions wouldn't.