Water Not Going Down Disposal?

My disposal spins and the water goes down, but it comes right back up like a tornado. I tried a plunger. What is wrong with it and is there a simple solution? Thanks.

By Dee

Best Answer

It sounds like you have a clog. Most disposals are in a double sink, and you have to seal one off and then use the plunger on the other one. I find that two plungers (and two people - one on each plunger) work the best. Seal off the second sink with the first plunger, fill the disposal with water, and plunge away with the second. Disposals are usually plugged with ground up food, like potato peels.

Best Answer

I used the suggestions provided with baking soda, vinegar, boiling water and a plunger. It worked!

It sounds like the disposal is clogged. Sometimes starchy foods like rice, spud peels and stringy food like celery gum it up. You often have to turn off the power to that circuit, unscrew the disposal and manually clean it out. It's a mess but it's also a way to start fresh.

After years of being a property manager, I can tell you I have had to do this too many times.
I always tell new residents that if they grind up a few ice cubes each week and drop a table spoon of lemon juice down it it keeps the blades sharp and the odor down. Good luck.

Home and Garden Repair Home PlumbingOctober 10, 2013
😎
📓
🐛
🌻
😷
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Water-Not-Going-Down-Disposal.html