Putting Tiling Over Laminate Countertop

How do I apply ceramic tile to an old Formica countertop?

By Dee from Atlanta, GA

Putting Tiling Over Laminate Countertop?

I am living in an apartment which is very old and the landlord will not update anything! On the main miserable countertop, I have put a gigantic chopping board, so at least this looks good. I have hung a huge mirror over the kitchen sink which faces nothing and put art work all over. Now at least it looks jolly, even if the countertop is peeling. Cheers! (05/15/2010)

By catwink41

If your old countertop has the curved edge in front, I don't think you can put tile over it, because the tile would have to curve. Google painting countertops and see what you come up with. I saw an episode on one of the cable channels one time where they showed and gave directions for painting an old counter top to make it look like granite. (05/15/2010)

By redhatterb

"How do I apply ceramic tile to an old Formica countertop?" You shouldn't.

You need to take those counter tops off and start off with a plywood base, just like you would with a standard subfloor.

I would caution against using tile on a counter top unless you choose a tile which you can use a darker grout and get the best grout sealer you can buy. Tile is best for flooring, baths and showers, back splashes, and outdoor table tops.

But, you should go to a virgin surface for good adhesion and proper preparation.

You can take classes at Home Depot, most are free and look around to local tile stores, many also offer DIY tile classes. (05/17/2010)

By COflower

Putting Tiling Over Laminate Countertop
Cleaning Laminate Flooring, Red dry mop cleaning laminate floors
Cleaning Laminate Flooring
Tiling a Windowsill
Tiling a Windowsill
laminate wood flooring
White Marks on Laminate Flooring
laminate samples
Cloudy White Spots on Laminate Countertop