Recipes Using Chicken Quarters

Category Poultry
Three raw chicken leg quarters piled on cutting board in front of tomato, lettuce, peppers ,and a wedge of parmesan cheese
Chicken leg quarters are often available for a good price at the market. This page contains recipes using chicken quarters.

What is a good way (besides grilling) to use chicken leg quarters? They are so cheap when bought in bulk, but I need something different to do with them.

Cheri from Garland, TX

Best Answer

Cheri and Cookiepom:

Kraft makes a new salad dressing called "Asian Toasted Sesame". It is delicious on chicken! Brush it on your chicken and grill. Mix it with soy sauce or chicken broth and use it to marinate. Brush it on the chicken then roll pieces in bread crumbs, crushed peanuts, or crushed sesame sticks (don't use the kind with honey -- they don't crush, they turn to paste) and bake. I'm sure you'll come up with lots of other ideas. Give it a try!

Best Answer

My son bakes the chicken until crisp, drains the grease and adds Lipton rice, or any your family likes, follow direction, and add a bag of frozen brocolli or any veggies, continue to bake on low. Wonderful and only one pan.

Best Answer

I make delicious chicken and rice soup with leg quarters, or just the thighs alone. Boil the chicken until the meat is falling off the bone; then pick out the bone, fat, skin and gristle, just leaving the good meat in the broth. Cook rice in the meat and broth, adding salt to taste, until done - yummy! You do have to add water intermittently to this to have the soup the thickness you desire. The nice thing about this recipe is that you can make as much or as little as you want, by adding more or less rice to the meat/broth.

Best Answer

I have the easiest crockpot/slowcooker recipe

Crockpot Pulled Chicken/Pork

It works as easily for chicken as it does for pork:

Chicken quarters/thighs/drumettes

Mesquite BBQ sauce (1 reg size bottle)

2 Large onions (whatever kind you like)

1/4 cup white vinegar

1 cup water

Skin the chicken quarters

Par-boil chicken in salted water for 10 mins:

Dice onions

Place diced onions in bottom of crockpot

Pour on all of the sauce & water.

Into the empty BBQ sauce put the vinegar.

Shake the bottle well and pour into the crockpot

Stir the mixture well

Add the chicken.

Stir the mixture again.

Turn on the crockpot, cook for 2hrs on high

& 6 to 8hrs on low.

Can be served with rice, baked potatoes, mashed potatoes, salad, pasta, egg noodles, etc. It is also great just pulled from the bones and served on whole grain buns with a green salad.

It is delicious, economical, and healthy.

Just for the record, any good spicey BBQ sauce will

work....we happen to like Mesquite :0)

Also, if you like peppers, you could add green, red, and/or yellow peppers to it.

Bon Apetite!!

I have an abundance of chicken quarters in my freezer. There is only my husband and I but I would like some ideas on how to spice these up a little. Any suggestions appreciated!

Cookiepom from Owensboro, KY

Answers:

Recipes Using Chicken Quarters

I boil leg quarters and make chicken and dumplings and soup. Debone the chicken and use in casserole or cut up meat and use as chicken salad. Freeze leftover meat and it makes a quick meal using noodles and cream of chicken condensed soup for gravy (no water added) I find that dark meat has a better flavor and is moist. You could also just put in oven and top with seasoning. Don't forget to use the crockpot! (03/09/2006)

By Diamondee

Recipes Using Chicken Quarters

We use ours to make chicken pot pies. Just cut up cooked or boiled chicken into bite size pieces and add 1 can cream of chicken soup (10 3/4 oz), 1 pkg (about 9 oz) frozen vegetables, and 1 cup cut up chicken. Mix together and place in 9x13 baking pan. Take 1/2 cup milk, 1 egg, 1 cup all purpose baking mix and mix these 3 ingredients together and pour over chicken mixture Bake @400 for about 30 minutes or until golden. This is really yummy

Chicken and Rice Bake

Although this recipes calls for chicken breast we use thighs and legs a lot as they are cheaper. 1 (10 3/4 oz) cream mushroom soup add to 1 c water and 3/4 c (uncooked) rice mix well.put in 9x 13 pan and place chicken on top of mixture and bake @375 for 45 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink.

Smothered Chicken

Heat 1 tbs oil in skillet over medium heat. Add 4 chicken breasts (or other chicken pieces) cook over medium heat about 10 minutes. Drain oil. Add 1 can (10 3/4 oz) cream mushroom soup to 1 c water
in 2 qt saucepan. Heat to a boil. Pour over chicken, cover and cook over low heat about 5 minutes or until chicken is done (no longer pink). Smothered chicken can also be used with the same recipe for pork chops. (03/09/2006)

By imaqt1962

Recipes Using Chicken Quarters

I boil and pull the meat from the bones, returning the bones and skin, etc. back into the pot. Add whole celery, quartered un-peeled onion and carrots to the pot of broth. Add more water and cook for a couple hours at a simmer. Bag the pulled meat into two cup portions (only need be 1 cup portions for 2 people), remove air, seal and freeze.

Strain the carcass and the veggies from the stock, portion and freeze it. Makes wonderful noodles and soups.

I use the chicken in fajitas, creamed chicken, chicken helper, casseroles, soups, noodles, stirfry, bbq sandwiches, chicken salad, etc, etc. We just used some last night with some zucchini, yellow squash, onion, peppers, mushrooms, garlic and sazon, black pepper, seasoning salt, a little crushed red pepper and about half a stick of butter. Hubby loved it. I served it over rice and he ate two huge heaping plates and then ate the leftovers today for lunch. I love these quarters because they are so frugal, but to fix just plain chicken meat, my crew think they need breasts, but when I use these in something, they never complain. (03/09/2006)

By Brenda

Recipes Using Chicken Quarters

Brown skinless chicken pieces in dutch oven using equal parts canola oil and butter/soft oleo. Leave juices in pan. After browning well, layer potatoes and onions starting with potatoes and finishing with onions. Be sure to salt the potatoes well. Add chicken broth or bullion cube dissolved in 8 ozs. hot water at the side of the pan.

Cover tightly - use dutch oven cause it needs a curving upwards top to allow the steam to form droplets and drip back down on the potatoes. Simmer till all done. Remove to a heated platter leaving liquid in pan. Mix in 1 lb sour cream a little at a time while stirring. Pour cream mixture over chicken and potatoes or serves sour cream mixture in a gravy boat and let everyone help themselves. I prefer the latter. (03/09/2006)

By Joan in CT.

Recipes Using Chicken Quarters

I make a chicken and rice dish to die for. Rinse 1 cup rice (white or brown) place in bottom of pan that will fit the amount chicken quarters used. Cut up 1 onion, 1 stalk celery, sliced carrots and any veggie you want to get rid of. Add to rice and season with a generous sprinkle of cumin, paprika, salt, pepper, tumeric or any other spice you like. Mix 1 can cream of mushroom soup with 1 can water and pour 1/2 of mixture over rice and stir into rice and veggie mixture. Place chicken on top of rice and pour remaining soup mixture on chicken. Again season chicken to your taste, cover and bake 350 degrees for 1 hour then remove cover and bake till chicken is soft, brown and rice is done. There is no exact recipe for this because it depends how much chicken you use. If I have a lot of chicken I will use more rice. This is to die for. Use enough spices. Good luck. (03/09/2006)

By Sylvia

Recipes Using Chicken Quarters

I usually add a bunch of spices. Salt, pepper and almost everything in my cupboard! I put the chicken in a glass baking dish and add beer. Bake for a while with foil over the top to keep in the moisture. I usually take the foil off for the last half of cooking to make the outside a little crispy. Mmmm. The beer adds a really good flavor. (03/10/2006)

By jessiworm

Recipes Using Chicken Quarters

This might work using the quarters. Tweek it to your taste. ( Debone the chicken )

Chicken PotLuck
( from Carolalee )

(03/12/2006)

By Great Granny Vi

Recipes Using Chicken Quarters

My favorite method to cook chicken pieces is to barbecue them on a grill. (actually that's my favorite way to cook just about anything small). I mix up a sauce of beer, cidar vinegar, sauteed chopped onion, crushed garlic, ground black and hot red pepper, honey, prepared mustard, a little ketchup, and hot sauce to taste. The sauce should be thin. Parboil chicken quarters briefly in sauce, a bit longer for white meat, and grill over hot coals and soaked, drained wood chips of your choice (any combination of fruit wood, hickory, mesquite, etc. works well). Continue to simmer sauce and dip chicken in it when turning (I turn pieces pretty often to keep them from burning). The sauce cooks down so I adjust the seasoning and serve it on the side for dipping. Most recipes I've seen along these lines say to discard the cooking sauce but I don't see the point in that. I just continue to let it simmer until taking up the chicken, and I haven't caught mad cowbird flu disease yet. (Haven't caught salmonella either, but I've never tried this with salmon.)

One stovetop trick is something an elderly friend from the SC coast used to prepare. He called it "purlo"... not sure how he'd have spelled it. He just put white rice in his rice pot with water as usual, then mixed cut up (bone-in) chicken, salt & black pepper, covered and cooked rice as he normally would. I've tried several variations on this, such as using V-8 juice, canned chopped tomatoes, chicken stock, etc. instead of water, and different herbs & spices as my mood dictates. Also I usually debone the chicken but cook large bones in the pot as well. They'll be easier to remove from the pot when done and you still get the added flavor and nutrients from the bones. Happy cooking! (03/20/2006)

By Alph

Recipes Using Chicken Quarters

Alph, I love your sense of humor! I often say similar "silly" things and it just annoys the dickens out of "serious" folks. Keep on keepin' on! We all need to laugh more! (03/20/2006)

By Grandma Margie

Recipes Using Chicken Quarters

I usually season the quarters with spices like paprika or salon, adobe all purpose seasoning, etc. and bake it. I normally serve it with rice or bake potato. (03/25/2007)

By Tamara