Recipes Using Chicken

Chicken is a very versatile ingredient in many recipes. This page contains recipes using chicken.

BBQ Chicken on the Grill
Filter Sort

Question: Recipes Using Chicken Quarters

By Cheri 5 3

What is a good way (besides grilling) to use chicken leg quarters? They are so cheap when bought in bulk, but I need something different to do with them.

Cheri from Garland, TX

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Angel 1 Flag

A great way to do it that my family loves is to bake them. I put the leg quarters in a glass casserole dish with a bit of Extra Virgin Olive Oil in the bottom (just enough to coat the bottom and prevent sticking.) Then I take a brush and brush a bit of the EVOO on the top and season with Adobo. Adobo is my sort of catch all, umbrella seasoning. Then just bake it about 30 min on 350 (or until cooked all the way through.) It goes great with a pot of white or Spanish (yellow) rice.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Recipe: Pollo a la Diablo

If you want a little less heat, use more sour cream in the sauce. If you want a little more heat, use more pepper sauce. Serve chicken and sauce over rice, your favorite pasta, salad greens or in a sandwich or tortilla wrap. Yummy the next day too if you have any leftover chicken and/or sauce.

• 1/4 cup hot pepper sauce
  • 1/2 cup sour cream
  • 1/4 cup ketchup
  • 2 Tbsp. honey
  • 1/8 tsp. paprika
  • 1/8 tsp. cumin
  • 1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper, optional if you're bold enough ;-)
  • 4 skinless, boneless chicken thighs or breast halves, cut into strips
  • 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
  • 1 tsp. minced garlic, or more to taste

Directions:

Mix together the pepper sauce, sour cream, ketchup, and honey until smooth, mix in the paprika and cumin and set aside half of the sauce, covered and refrigerated. Place chicken in the remaining sauce, cover and marinate in the refrigerator for at least 2 or more hours.

Heat vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and cook until aromatic. Place marinade coated chicken in the skillet and cook until golden brown on each side until cooked through.

Meanwhile, heat reserved marinade in a small saucepan.

Serve chicken over rice, pasta, or salad greens with sauce spooned over the top or in a sandwich or tortilla wrap with sauce spread as a condiment.

By Deeli from Richland, WA

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Recipes Using Canned Chicken

By sandy 77 431

I have several cans of cooked chicken. What can I do with already cooked chicken other than salad? I want something hot for winter months. Thanks.

By Sandy from Baltimore, MD

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By lavonneann 6 214 Flag

Make a medium white sauce, add the chicken and add some peas or whatever veggies you might have leftover. Heat and serve over toast, rice or potatoes.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Uses For Leftover Baked Chicken

By Pam 1

When I bake chicken, whatever chicken is left over I take and pull off the bones and make chicken salad. I can also take the chicken and put barbecue sauce with it and use it for tacos.

By Pam from AKRON, OH

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Archive: Recipes Using Chicken Quarters

I have an abundance of chicken quarters in my freezer. There is only my husband and I but I would like some ideas on how to spice these up a little. Any suggestions appreciated!

Cookiepom from Owensboro, KY

Answers:

RE: Recipes Using Chicken Quarters

I boil leg quarters and make chicken and dumplings and soup. Debone the chicken and use in casserole or cut up meat and use as chicken salad. Freeze leftover meat and it makes a quick meal using noodles and cream of chicken condensed soup for gravy (no water added) I find that dark meat has a better flavor and is moist. You could also just put in oven and top with seasoning. Don't forget to use the crockpot! (03/09/2006)

By Diamondee

RE: Recipes Using Chicken Quarters

We use ours to make chicken pot pies. Just cut up cooked or boiled chicken into bite size pieces and add 1 can cream of chicken soup (10 3/4 oz), 1 pkg (about 9 oz) frozen vegetables, and 1 cup cut up chicken. Mix together and place in 9x13 baking pan. Take 1/2 cup milk, 1 egg, 1 cup all purpose baking mix and mix these 3 ingredients together and pour over chicken mixture Bake @400 for about 30 minutes or until golden. This is really yummy

Chicken and Rice Bake

Although this recipes calls for chicken breast we use thighs and legs a lot as they are cheaper. 1 (10 3/4 oz) cream mushroom soup add to 1 c water and 3/4 c (uncooked) rice mix well.put in 9x 13 pan and place chicken on top of mixture and bake @375 for 45 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink.

Smothered Chicken

Heat 1 tbs oil in skillet over medium heat. Add 4 chicken breasts (or other chicken pieces) cook over medium heat about 10 minutes. Drain oil. Add 1 can (10 3/4 oz) cream mushroom soup to 1 c water
in 2 qt saucepan. Heat to a boil. Pour over chicken, cover and cook over low heat about 5 minutes or until chicken is done (no longer pink). Smothered chicken can also be used with the same recipe for pork chops. (03/09/2006)

By imaqt1962

RE: Recipes Using Chicken Quarters

I boil and pull the meat from the bones, returning the bones and skin etc. back into the pot. Add whole celery, quartered un-peeled onion and carrots to the pot of broth. Add more water and cook for a couple hours at a simmer. Bag the pulled meat into two cup portions (only need be 1 cup portions for 2 people), remove air, seal and freeze.

Strain the carcass and the veggies from the stock, portion and freeze it. Makes wonderful noodles and soups.

I use the chicken in fajitas, creamed chicken, chicken helper, casseroles, soups, noodles, stirfry, bbq sandwiches, chicken salad, etc, etc. We just used some last night with some zucchini, yellow squash, onion, peppers, mushrooms, garlic and sazon, black pepper, seasoning salt, a little crushed red pepper and about half a stick of butter. Hubby loved it. I served it over rice and he ate two huge heaping plates and then ate the leftovers today for lunch. I love these quarters because they are so frugal, but to fix just plain chicken meat, my crew think they need breasts, but when I use these in something, they never complain. (03/09/2006)

By Brenda

RE: Recipes Using Chicken Quarters

• skinless chicken parts
  • sliced potatoes and sliced onion (to taste)
  • chicken bullion cube or 8 ozs. chicken broth.
  • Desired seasonings
  • 1 lb sour cream
Brown skinless chicken pieces in dutch oven using equal parts canola oil and butter/soft oleo. Leave juices in pan. After browning well, layer potatoes and onions starting with potatoes and finishing with onions. Be sure to salt the potatoes well. Add chicken broth or bullion cube dissolved in 8 ozs. hot water at the side of the pan.

Cover tightly - use dutch oven cause it needs a curving upwards top to allow the steam to form droplets and drip back down on the potatoes. Simmer till all done. Remove to a heated platter leaving liquid in pan. Mix in 1 lb sour cream a little at a time while stirring. Pour cream mixture over chicken and potatoes or serves sour cream mixture in a gravy boat and let everyone help themselves. I prefer the latter. (03/09/2006)

By Joan in CT.

RE: Recipes Using Chicken Quarters

I make a chicken and rice dish to die for. Rinse 1 cup rice (white or brown) place in bottom of pan that will fit the amount chicken quarters used. Cut up 1 onion, 1 stalk celery, sliced carrots and any veggie you want to get rid of. Add to rice and season with a generous sprinkle of cumin, paprika, salt, pepper, tumeric or any other spice you like. Mix 1 can cream of mushroom soup with 1 can water and pour 1/2 of mixture over rice and stir into rice and veggie mixture. Place chicken on top of rice and pour remaining soup mixture on chicken. Again season chicken to your taste, cover and bake 350 degrees for 1 hour then remove cover and bake till chicken is soft, brown and rice is done. There is no exact recipe for this because it depends how much chicken you use. If I have a lot of chicken I will use more rice. This is to die for . Use enough spices. Good luck (03/09/2006)

By Sylvia

RE: Recipes Using Chicken Quarters

I usually add a bunch of spices. Salt, pepper and almost everything in my cupboard! I put the chicken in a glass baking dish and add beer. Bake for a while with foil over the top to keep in the moisture. I usually take the foil off for the last half of cooking to make the outside a little crispy. Mmmm. The beer adds a really good flavor. (03/10/2006)

By jessiworm

RE: Recipes Using Chicken Quarters

This might work using the quarters. Tweek it to your taste. ( Debone the chicken )

Chicken PotLuck
( from Carolalee )

• 4-6 chicken breasts ( skinless, boneless) - Browned
    put in layer in casserole dish.
  • Pour 2 cans mushroom soup and
  • 1 pt. IMO or sour cream
  • couple of dashes Worcestershire sauce
  • Bake until tender
  • Top with cracker or bread crumbs and
    shredded cheese. Return to oven and brown
(03/12/2006)

By Great Granny Vi

RE: Recipes Using Chicken Quarters

My favorite method to cook chicken pieces is to barbecue them on a grill. (actually that's my favorite way to cook just about anything small). I mix up a sauce of beer, cidar vinegar, sauteed chopped onion, crushed garlic. ground black and hot red pepper, honey, prepared mustard, a little ketchup and hot sauce to taste. The sauce should be thin. Parboil chicken quarters briefly in sauce, a bit longer for white meat, and grill over hot coals and soaked, drained wood chips of your choice (any combination of fruit wood, hickory, mesquite, etc. works well). Continue to simmer sauce and dip chicken in it when turning (I turn pieces pretty often to keep them from burning). The sauce cooks down so I adjust the seasoning and serve it on the side for dipping. Most recipes I've seen along these lines say to discard the cooking sauce but I don't see the point in that. I just continue to let it simmer until taking up the chicken, and I haven't caught mad cowbird flu disease yet. (Haven't caught salmonella either but I've never tried this with salmon.)
,P>
One stovetop trick is something an elderly friend from the SC coast used to prepare. He called it "purlo"... not sure how he'd have spelled it. He just put white rice in his rice pot with water as usual, then mixed cut up (bone-in) chicken, salt & black pepper, covered and cooked rice as he normally would. I've tried several variations on this, such as using V-8 juice, canned chopped tomatoes, chicken stock, etc. instead of water, and different herbs & spices as my mood dictates. Also I usually debone the chicken but cook large bones in the pot as well. They'll be easier to remove from the pot when done and you still get the added flavor and nutrients from the bones. Happy cooking! (03/20/2006)

By Alph

RE: Recipes Using Chicken Quarters

Alph, I love your sense of humor! I often say similar "silly" things and it just annoys the dickens out of "serious" folks. Keep on keepin' on! We all need to laugh more! (03/20/2006)

By Grandma Margie

RE: Recipes Using Chicken Quarters

I usually season the quarters with spices like paprika or sazon ,adobe all purpose seasoning, etc and bake it. I normally serve it with rice or bake potato (03/25/2007)

By Tamara

Archive: Recipes Using Canned Chicken

I already requested recipes for canned corn and dried beans. Now this one is again from the food pantry. I have several large cans of chicken. It is meat from a whole chicken, 4 cups worth actually. I don't know what to do with it. I am single and when I make a recipe, it is always too much. I have to do with what is on hand, so I don't have the nerve to give it to a neighbor.

Help please,
Sandy from Baltimore, MD

Feedback:

RE: Recipes Using Canned Chicken

Sandy, you can divide the chicken meat up and make several different recipes up in small serving sizes, cook, cool and freeze for quickie meals later. Example; soup, dumplings, stuffing, noodles, a couple canned biscuits for dumplings, stuff the rest with chicken and veggies making a tart, use one of those cup o noodles, add chicken and voila! Get some snack size bags and freeze it plain for other uses. Hope this helps. (03/14/2007)

By KELLYCAJUN

RE: Recipes Using Canned Chicken

After opening the chicken, freeze in 1 cup portions. To use 1 cup of it:

1. Make chicken salad with mayo, chopped celery/onion, and have sandwiches.
2. Shred chicken into a can of cream of mushroom soup mixed with 1/2 can milk, heat and serve over toast, rice, noodles or mashed potatoes. Add peas if you wish.
3. Make macaroni salad with chicken instead of tuna.
4. Make chicken quesadillas by putting shredded chicken and shredded cheese between 2 tortillas, and browning both sides in a frying pan. Serve with salsa/sour cream.
5. Cook 1 cup noodles, make 2-3 cups chicken bouillon, combine noodles, and add chicken for a fast soup.
6. Add shredded chicken to chicken ramen noodle, if you make them. (03/14/2007)

By jean

RE: Recipes Using Canned Chicken

Try this casserole. My family loves it!

CHICKEN CASSEROLE:

• 4 cups cubed cooked chicken
  • 1 can cream of chicken soup
  • 1 1/2 cups elbow macaroni, cooked and drained
  • 1 can cream of celery soup
  • 1 jar (2 oz.) diced pimientos, drained
  • 8 oz. cheddar cheese, grated
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1 medium green pepper, chopped
  • 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning

Topping: 1/2 cup crushed cornflakes, 1 tablespoon butter or margarine, melted.

-Mix all ingredients, except topping. Pour into greased 13x9x2 inch baking dish. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Take out of refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake covered at 350 degrees for 45 minutes. Combine cornflakes and melted butter; sprinkle over casserole. Bake uncovered for 15-20 more minutes. (03/15/2007)

By Jean

RE: Recipes Using Canned Chicken

Chicken and noddle dinner. Take a can of cream of chicken soup and mix with the canned chicken. Heat on stove. Do not add water. Pour over egg noodles and mix all together. A nice easy and inexpensive meal! Hope this helps you! (03/15/2007)

By Elby

RE: Recipes Using Canned Chicken

You might want to buy one of those vacuum sealing Food Saver type machines. This way you can package and freeze your culinary excess and put it to good use later. (03/15/2007)

By cookwie

RE: Recipes Using Canned Chicken

Again this food is from the state food bank. I get what they give me. At this time all I buy at the store is milk, eggs and cheese, and if feeling overwhelmed I will buy some veggies. But for the most part I am eating this canned food. Thank you. (03/15/2007)

By sandy63

RE: Recipes Using Canned Chicken

I would freeze it like suggested, but put it in small air tight containers (I like the cheap ones that they sell for freezer jam - look for them by the Ball jars in your supermarket) and top off with water or broth (canned is fine). This creates a "seal" against freezer burn. Some recipe ideas:

Cook some rice (white, brown or mixed), add some cheese sauce (Ragu Double Cheddar is good and keeps for awhile in the fridge), butter, a bit of cream of mushroom soup (freeze the rest in small containers), broccoli, cauliflower, carrots or whatever you like, and some chicken. Bake in a small oven proof bowl until bubbly.

Mix chicken with some cheese sauce, sour cream, canned diced tomatoes with green chilies. Place some of the chicken mix down the middle of a couple of tortillas and roll up. Place in a small casserole dish and bake for a few minutes. Top with salsa, sour cream, more cheese sauce, etc.

Use the rest of the can of diced tomatoes with green chilies to make an easy salsa: Mix the contents of the can (including juice) with a pinch of salt, a couple grinds of black pepper, a pinch of parsley and a couple pinches dried onion flakes. You can add a pinch or two of dried cilantro if you like. Let it sit for at least 10 minutes before using. This will keep in a glass jar (like a spaghetti sauce jar) for a week or two. Great on tortilla chips, eggs, baked potatoes, frozen burritos, etc.

Mix chicken with some mayo and some sour cream and then add the "homemade" salsa to taste. Serve on bread, chips, tortilla chips, etc. You can also do this with canned tuna. (It sounds weird, but try it.)

Mix some cooked rice, reserved frozen (thawed) cream of mushroom soup, chicken, sauteed peppers and onions.

Combine chicken with Jarred Alfredo sauce, spread on a mini pre-baked pizza shell or a soft pita. Top with onions, mushrooms, green peppers, spinach, broccoli, etc. Bake until bubbly. Top with some shredded mozzarella or Parmesan and bake a few minutes more. (03/15/2007)

By thriftyboo

RE: Recipes Using Canned Chicken

All the ideas are good ones. So I will just say that when you open the chicken, one frugal idea would be to open a can of broth and add it to the extra chicken and bag it together in quart freezer zip bags, squeeze all the air out. Use one serving and freeze the rest in individual amounts.

Using freezer quart zip bags will save freezer burn from happening. Using broth with the chicken will extend the freezer life. Use a Sharpie marker to date your package the date it was frozen. Freeze flat or put a cardboard box the size of the bag to keep flat until frozen. Then can be put in another spot in the freezer. (03/16/2007)

By chml

RE: Recipes Using Canned Chicken

I use can chicken quite often. If you look at www.bisquick.com, you will find many good recipes that include can chicken. If you can not eat all of the recipe at one time, you can freeze it and use for another day's meal. (03/16/2007)

By Lee

RE: Recipes Using Canned Chicken

I get the large cans of chicken, split it into three parts. I freeze two servings, use the other with canned gravy and heat. It makes a great chicken gravy for over mashed potatoes or add a can of cream of chicken soup, and some ritz crackers (generic works fine), crush the crackers, a little pepper, and a tad bit of onion. Put in crock pot, makes awesome shredded chicken sands. Enjoy. (09/06/2007)

By teresa

RE: Recipes Using Canned Chicken

It also makes a very good tasting BBQ sandwich by just adding bottled sauce to meat. (02/28/2008)

RE: Recipes Using Canned Chicken

Get a package of Lipton creamy chicken and rice or noodles. Cook as directed add a can of chicken, and mix together. We put soy sauce and oriental rice noodles on ours. It is a family favorite. Tastes great as left overs. Any kind of package noodles or rice will work as long they are creamy. (09/02/2008)

By grace_46241

• Categories
    Food and Recipes Recipes Meats ChickenAugust 6, 2012
    ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
    Gilled Rosemary Chicken
    Recipes Using Chicken Breasts
    Chicken a la King in puff pastry shell
    Chicken A' La King Recipes
    chicken tomato risotto
    Recipes Using Chicken Stock
    Cute Little Girl in Chicken Costume
    Making a Chicken Costume
    © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 7, 2016 at 11:55:36 PM on 10.0.2.71 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

All ArticlesSolutionsQuestionsArchives
    NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulMost AnswersFewest AnswersBest AnswersRelevance
    Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
    BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
    CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings