Browsing: Recipes Using Leftover Duck

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Recipes Using Leftover Duck

Leftover duck is great used in a number of delicious recipes. This page contains recipes using leftover duck.

Duck Dinner

April 8, 2010 Flag

What can I do with leftover duck besides give it to the dog?

By LRP from LWL, MA

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Duck soup, duck pot pie, duck casserole, duck stir fry, duck salad.

Best Answer

First of course I use what leftovers I can for dumplings, soup, etc. But if I have eaten my fill of it and I still have leftovers on any poultry carcass (assuming here it was a whole duck), I pull what meat I can and put it in the fridge while I boil the carcass for broth. I add the carcass to a large stock pot, along with a couple of chicken bouillon cubes and occasionally some spices or herbs. I use just enough water to cover, put the lid on the pot, and let it boil. Then I simmer it for a couple of hours. A crockpot or pressure cooker can be used, too.

I strain the broth, use a fat separator to get rid of the fat (there is a lot on a duck), and then put the broth back in the pot to reduce to about half, just to save freezer space. I freeze the concentrated broth in freezer bags, sometimes adding the pulled meat back to the bag for making soup or dumplings later. In either case, I always add a little broth to my pulled cooked poultry meat before putting it in the freezer bag, it keeps it from getting frosty or drying out.

I just bought 5 whole frozen ducks that were on a fantastic special ($2 each), and I am looking forward to the rich duck broth just as much as I am the meat!

Best Answer

Make a roux and a gumbo. I add sausage and serve on rice, or you could make a stew or soup.

What do you do with leftover chicken and turkey? If you feed those leftovers to the dog then just feed the leftover duck to him/her too because 'poultry is poultry'.

Read More Answers...
Food and Recipes Recipes MeatsApril 22, 2013
Mallard Duck swimming in a lake.
Mallard Duck Information and Photos
Illustration of two kids in costumes.  A witch and a pirate.
Making a Donald and Daisy Duck Costume
Stew cooking in a stainless steel pan.
Duck Stew Recipes
Roast Duck
Roast Duck Recipes
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 21, 2016 at 6:40:05 PM on 10.0.2.241 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.